WD Red or Seagate IronWolf for NAS?

Nagi
Go to solution Solved by CoinDuckling369,

You can't really go wrong with both of them, For Performance you should go for the Ironwolf, for Noice reduction you should go for the WD Red, the reliability is almost the same.

Here is an article which could help you: https://www.vueville.com/home-security/cctv/nvr/seagate-ironwolf-vs-wd-red-nas-hard-drives/

Hello, I want to get new Harddrives for my FreeNAS machine. I found these two offers from the store that I'm planning to buy from:

https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/seagate-ironwolf-2x-4tb-set-8tb-35-hard-drives-11729713?supplier=406802

https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/wd-red-2x-4tb-set-256cache-8tb-35-hard-drives-12535213?tagIds=76-535

The price is almost the same, so I'm unsure what to pick. I want to get some drives that I can use for as long as possible. I use the NAS to backup files and for my Plex. 

Thanks for the help!

Server - i7-6700 | 32GB DDR4 RAM | 3x1TB WD Purple | 2x4TB Seagate Ironwolf | 256GB SSD WD Green (Jails/Plex) | 256GB SSD m.2 Samsung (Cache) | FreeNAS 11.3

Workstation/VM - i7-6700 | 32GB DDR4 RAM | Windows 10 Server 2019

Work - Razer Blade Stealth 13 (2019) | i7-8565U | 16 GB RAM | GeForce MX150 | Windows 10 Build 2004

Not sure if you heard about the whole SMR debacle currently going on.

The tl;dr of it is that the big thee (WD, Seagate, and Toshiba) have been sneaking SMR drives into their product lines without mentioning it.

Chances are these drives are using SMR technology, so maybe hold off on the purchase until things clear up a bit?
Although it sounds like you'll be using them for archival which is what SMR drives are actually best at, so maybe not a bad idea?

Anyways, hope this helps somewhat

You can't really go wrong with both of them, For Performance you should go for the Ironwolf, for Noice reduction you should go for the WD Red, the reliability is almost the same.

Here is an article which could help you: https://www.vueville.com/home-security/cctv/nvr/seagate-ironwolf-vs-wd-red-nas-hard-drives/

The WD Red is SMR while the Ironwolf is probably not. (At least, no one have said that it is).

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

30 minutes ago, Mihle said:

The WD Red is SMR while the Ironwolf is probably not. (At least, no one have said that it is).

From what I've heard/read it was the barracuda line from Seagate, so hopefully ironwolf's are ok.

Unless you go 6TB or larger with the Ironwolfs, they spin at 5400rpm just like the Reds.  In that scenario, I'd go with WD as the RMA process is very straight forward.  I've used both, along with HGST and they have all held up well.   It's the non-NAS drives, like the shucked WD 8/10TB drives that seem to fail quickly.

Gaming - AMD TR 3970X | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme II | G.SKILL Neo 3600 64GB | Zotac Nvidia 2080 Ti AMP | 2x Sabarent 1TB NVMe | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1000w | Corsair K70 RGB Lux | Corsiar M65 | 2x ASUS Rog PG279Q | BenQ EW3270U | Windows 10 Pro | EKWB Custom loop

ITX - Intel i7-10700k | Asus ROG Z490-I Gaming | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 2080 Super| Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD | NZXT H1| Windows 10 Pro

HTPC - Intel i9-9900k | Asus ROG Maximus XI Code | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 1070 | Samsung 970 1TB | WD Blue 1TB SSD | NZXT H700  | EVGA G3 1000W | Corsair H150i | Windows 10 Pro

Servers - SuperMicro 846 | 2x 2695L V2 | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 24 x 6TB | FreeNas - SuperMicro 826 | 2 x 2695L | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 8 x 10TB | 847 24 x 1TB SSD | Windows Server 2019

Work - Dell XPS 15 9560 | i7-7700HQ | 32 GB RAM | 1TB NVMe | 4k dsiplay

Ironwolf also has vibration sensors on the higher capacity models to help counteract vibrations from nearby drives.