XLoader

Sub2pewdiepie

I am using xloader on an arduino Leonardo to upload a project onto the card when i hit the reset button to enter bootloader and then upload the file but whenever i press the button then hit upload it says its uploading but nothing happens after that. I am wondering if anybody can help me fix this issue so that i can upload my project.

13 hours ago, Sub2pewdiepie said:

I am using xloader on an arduino Leonardo to upload a project onto the card when i hit the reset button to enter bootloader and then upload the file but whenever i press the button then hit upload it says its uploading but nothing happens after that. I am wondering if anybody can help me fix this issue so that i can upload my project.

I know very little about 'XLoader', but at quick glance, it looks like all you need to do, is set your board type, baud rate and let r rip.

If it claims your hex file was uploaded, it probably was, was your hex file compiled for your 'Leonardo board'? If you downloaded the hex, where did you get it? If you wrote the code, what did you write it in, what compiler did you use, what settings?

Other Thoughts:

If you have an arduino board, why aren't you using the arduino IDE? Arduino Software. This will take care of uploading the code with the boot loader.

Assuming your new to the arduino ecosystem, and have general questions TUT.

If your not using arduino because you think the built in libs are slow, you have direct register control, Port Manipulation.

If you don't like the arduino IDE because it looks like a toy, Arduino + VSCode.

Let me know if you need any other fleeting advice, best of luck.

8 hours ago, RandleMcmurphy said:

I know very little about 'XLoader', but at quick glance, it looks like all you need to do, is set your board type, baud rate and let r rip.

If it claims your hex file was uploaded, it probably was, was your hex file compiled for your 'Leonardo board'? If you downloaded the hex, where did you get it? If you wrote the code, what did you write it in, what compiler did you use, what settings?

Other Thoughts:

If you have an arduino board, why aren't you using the arduino IDE? Arduino Software. This will take care of uploading the code with the boot loader.

Assuming your new to the arduino ecosystem, and have general questions TUT.

If your not using arduino because you think the built in libs are slow, you have direct register control, Port Manipulation.

If you don't like the arduino IDE because it looks like a toy, Arduino + VSCode.

Let me know if you need any other fleeting advice, best of luck.

I fixed the problem that it was sitting on uploading as it was that i had the wrong device selected. after selecting the correct device and com port after hitting the reset button on the board as the instructions stated it would come up with upload failed. are there any changes that i would have to make to get this to work as i did not change the baud rate at all. 

27 minutes ago, Sub2pewdiepie said:

I fixed the problem that it was sitting on uploading as it was that i had the wrong device selected. after selecting the correct device and com port after hitting the reset button on the board as the instructions stated it would come up with upload failed. are there any changes that i would have to make to get this to work as i did not change the baud rate at all. 

Try baud "57600", but again, is there a specific reason your using XLoader over the arduino IDE?

1 minute ago, RandleMcmurphy said:

Try baud "57600", but again, is there a specific reason your using XLoader over the arduino IDE?

The baud is already at 57600 

I am using xloader because i could not find a way to upload a hex file on the arduino IDE.

1 minute ago, RandleMcmurphy said:

More info

Hide contents

I am using the same file on mine but every time that i try and upload the file it says upload failed.

1 minute ago, Sub2pewdiepie said:

I am using the same file on mine but every time that i try and upload the file it says upload failed.

Is your board recognized in device manager? If so, dose the com port change when you enter the boot-loader?

I highly recommend watching the vid I linked, it walks you though the process step by step.

If at any point during this process your results deviate from whats expected. Post what you were doing, and what the outcome was. screen shots help too.

Side note, you might need to install the Arduino IDE to get the right windows drivers for your Leonardo board (slipped my mind).

54 minutes ago, Sub2pewdiepie said:

i have the latest drivers installed 

Do a quick test for me so I can verify that your boards not cooked. Upload the 'blinky' example with the Arduino IDE. IF your led starts blinking I might have a suggestion.

Spoiler

Open the arduino IDE and enable verbose mode for 'upload', if you inspect the scroll back, the AVRDude command for your board can be found. then its just a matter of changing the hex location. Its command line stuff though.

Spoiler

My scroll back.

C:\Users\NONE\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Seeeduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/bin/avrdude -CC:\Users\NONE\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Seeeduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM8 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\NONE\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_702653/Blink.ino.hex:i

The hell with XLoader, its just a wrapper for avrdude anyway.

Something worth noting, XLoader is kinda old, and the board files aren't very up to date, I didn't have the "Leonardo" selection in the drop down. I downloaded my copy of XLoader from here, did you also? if so, how did you add your avrdude configuration for the Leonardo board?

1 hour ago, RandleMcmurphy said:

Do a quick test for me so I can verify that your boards not cooked. Upload the 'blinky' example with the Arduino IDE. IF your led starts blinking I might have a suggestion.

Hide contents

Open the arduino IDE and enable verbose mode for 'upload', if you inspect the scroll back, the AVRDude command for your board can be found. then its just a matter of changing the hex location. Its command line stuff though.

Hide contents

My scroll back.

C:\Users\NONE\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Seeeduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/bin/avrdude -CC:\Users\NONE\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Seeeduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM8 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\NONE\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_702653/Blink.ino.hex:i

The hell with XLoader, its just a wrapper for avrdude anyway.

The led is blinking.

1 hour ago, RandleMcmurphy said:

Something worth noting, XLoader is kinda old, and the board files aren't very up to date, I didn't have the "Leonardo" selection in the drop down. I downloaded my copy of XLoader from here, did you also? if so, how did you add your avrdude configuration for the Leonardo board?

I downloaded the xloader application from the tutorial that i was following

45 minutes ago, Sub2pewdiepie said:

I downloaded the xloader application from the tutorial that i was following

I don't know what else to try, sorry I couldn't help ya out.

Spoiler

Uploading Code to the Leonardo, Leonardo ETH and Micro

In general, you upload code to the Leonardo or Micro as you would with the Uno or other Arduino boards. Click the upload button in the Arduino IDE and your sketch will be automatically uploaded onto the board and then started. This works more or less the same way as with the Uno: the Arduino software initiates a reset of the board, launching the bootloader - which is responsible for receiving, storing, and starting the new sketch.

However, because the serial port is virtual, it disappears when the board resets, the Arduino software uses a different strategy for timing the upload than with the Uno and other boards. In particular, after initiating the auto-reset of the Leonardo, Leonardo ETH or Micro (using the serial port selected in the Tools > Serial Port menu), the Arduino software waits for a new virtual (CDC) serial / COM port to appear - one that it assumes represents the bootloader. It then performs the upload on this newly-appeared port.

These differences affect the way you use the physical reset button to perform an upload if the auto-reset isn't working. Press and hold the reset button on the Leonardo or Micro, then hit the upload button in the Arduino software. Only release the reset button after you see the message "Uploading..." appear in the software's status bar. When you do so, the bootloader will start, creating a new virtual (CDC) serial port on the computer. The software will see that port appear and perform the upload using it. Again, this is only necessary if the normal upload process (i.e. just pressing the uploading button) doesn't work. (Note that the auto-reset is initiated when the computer opens the serial port at 1200 baud and then closes it; this won't work if something interferes with the board's USB communication - e.g. disabling interrupts.)

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoLeonardoMicro

1 hour ago, Sub2pewdiepie said:

<snip>

Just pay super close attention to this clip

https://youtu.be/v7A_fFHfN_c?t=60

notice, when the rest button is pressed, the devices com port changes from 36 to 37. The run time com port is 36, the bootloader com port is 37. You need the bootloader com port to be active when uploading.

19 hours ago, RandleMcmurphy said:

Just pay super close attention to this clip

https://youtu.be/v7A_fFHfN_c?t=60

notice, when the rest button is pressed, the devices com port changes from 36 to 37. The run time com port is 36, the bootloader com port is 37. You need the bootloader com port to be active when uploading.

ok my arduino is not doing the same thing as the one in the video. when i first connected the arduino to my pc via usb the L light was blinking 5 to 10 times per second when i press the reset button the slows down for about two seconds and the RX light flashes once then it goes back to blinking very fast. It is not doing the same as the video showed

BRO i got it i am so stupid. i went onto the arduino forums and posted the question there and i got a reponse that said pressing the reset button once resets the board hitting it twice quickly puts it into bootloader mode i tried it and it worked first try

Thank you so much for helping me with this it means a lot to me that you were willing to stick with it and help me for this long Thank you so much