New SSD not appearing in file manager

Nstud

I recently bought a 1tb m.2 ssd to replace by cheap 200ish GB SATA SSD. I was planning to clone windows onto the new drive but the new SSD does not appear in the file manager. The m.2 port does share a lane with one of the SATA ports but the SATA port is not in use. What can I do to fix this? Do I need to do something in the BIOS?

Just now, Nstud said:

I recently bought a 1tb m.2 ssd to replace by cheap 200ish GB SATA SSD. I was planning to clone windows onto the new drive but the new SSD does not appear in the file manager. The m.2 port does share a lane with one of the SATA ports but the SATA port is not in use. What can I do to fix this? Do I need to do something in the BIOS?

Did you create a new hard drive partion in windows?

@tank234 I'm not exactly sure what that means (I'm pretty new to this stuff). From my understanding a hard drive partition just separates a hard disc drive into separate storage devices in software. The only storage devices I have in my PC are SSDs.

1 minute ago, Nstud said:

@tank234 I'm not exactly sure what that means (I'm pretty new to this stuff). From my understanding a hard drive partition just separates a hard disc drive into separate storage devices in software. The only storage devices I have in my PC are SSDs.

That's not how partitions work. Everything needs partitions, even if it's a SSD.

A girl who loves to love.

ohh an nvme. that explains it. those things are a pain. 

when i put mine in, it was seen by mobo, but not bootable.

to setup i threw in a usb installer, and chose the wipe a disk option and install. it complained about missing boot manager (grub for me) and errored the install. since i had a grub on my ssd install, i was able to choose boot device with that. assuming windows has a grub, or a program to make the nvme bootable, you should be fine. its best practice to remove the other drive when installing tho.

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

Have you assigned it a letter in "disk management"? :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Just now, Nstud said:

no a hard drive partion formats the new drive so that windows can recognize it 

Thank you guys this was very helpful. Never realized I was so ignorant