i want to get into gaming, but have no money

Just now, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

Either way, I use to go as much as 30 miles from home. Sometimes further. 

Dang, that's far. I don't use cars, and my parents don't like to drive me anywhere due to the circumstances. I generally bike to places like Walmart.

3 minutes ago, bigbraingamer123 said:

Dang, that's far. I don't use cars, and my parents don't like to drive me anywhere due to the circumstances. I generally bike to places like Walmart.

You can still do stuff. Right now with how things are I would recommend you just stay home. Let the smoke clear then figure things out. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

To everyone replying with "can't do X because of pandemic and lockdown" - yeah, obviously, any kind of a solution will have to wait until that ends. It's not smart to go outside without a good reason right now, let alone work a customer-facing job. Don't risk killing yourself and your whole family over a f***ing gaming pc :D

2 minutes ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

You can still do stuff. Right now with how things are I would recommend you just stay home. Let the smoke clear then figure things out. 

Got it. Thanks for the help.

I have made quite a bit of money buying and selling stuff or even just selling shit I don't use anymore.

If I'm only counting stuff I've pulled out of ewaste or gotten for next to nothing, I have probably made close to $1500. Not that much but this is with hardly any effort put in and only from *maybe* a dozen different items.

If you can go somewhere regularly and get good at selling stuff online or on classifieds then it is a good, steady source of income, especially for someone your age who doesn't have any expenses.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

5 hours ago, bigbraingamer123 said:

Hi. So I want to get into gaming, but I have no money at all. All my friends are playing video games like R6 and Overwatch, but I can't join because I have a crappy i3 laptop. Any ideas on how I can get into gaming? I tried working, but due to the virus I can't go outside of my house. No online jobs let me work, because I am only 14. I'm desperate, and in need of ideas.

You could try something like Google Stadia which they currently have a 2 month free promotion going on right now. I think?? Let me know if I am wrong.

5 hours ago, bigbraingamer123 said:

I have a crappy i3 laptop

Hate to be that guy but when I was your age I had a pentium 3 :P and it was already over a decade old... your laptop isn't bad at all in comparison. Just play older games until you can afford something better. Age of Empires 2 is a good start (not the definitive edition, that's pretty heavy to run). You can also run a lot of console emulators.

It kind of sucks that you can't play the same games your friends play but maybe you can get them to play something you can run.

Other than that, without money, there isn't much you can do. You could sell your laptop but you probably couldn't get more than about $350 for it, which isn't enough for a decent desktop unless you buy everything used and are willing to deal with the jank.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

27 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Hate to be that guy but when I was your age I had a pentium 3 :P and it was already over a decade old... your laptop isn't bad at all in comparison. Just play older games until you can afford something better. Age of Empires 2 is a good start (not the definitive edition, that's pretty heavy to run). You can also run a lot of console emulators.

It kind of sucks that you can't play the same games your friends play but maybe you can get them to play something you can run.

Other than that, without money, there isn't much you can do. You could sell your laptop but you probably couldn't get more than about $350 for it, which isn't enough for a decent desktop unless you buy everything used and are willing to deal with the jank.

I will join you on that. I had an IBM T43 (Pentium M, 1.5GB, 40GB) as my daily driver from 2007-2010ish. All I could do is browse the web. Thing ran linux like a champ though!

If I was a 14 year old kid and had that system, i would have been stoked. There are games out there I can play on it, but then i saved up (took me 6 months making $6.25/hr) to build my first gaming computer only to have the power supply die and take half of it with it. 

Edit:

Look into getting into emulation. You will be amazed at what is out there. Playstation has some fantastic games on it. Go play the original final fantasy 6 or 7. Maybe some persona. Hell, you got good old crash bandicoot. 

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

1 minute ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

I had an IBM T43 (Pentium M, 1.5GB, 40GB)

Oh wow I have one of those! Mine only has 512MB of ram though :P

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Oh wow I have one of those! Mine only has 512MB of ram though :P

They are a real work horse. Loved mine till the board in it finally shit the bed about 6 years ago. 

Hi, back to here. I finally managed to POST my desktop, which died a few months back. I sold the GPU inside, and replaced the i5 with an A8-5500 APU. The GPU was an RX 480 4GB. Thanks for the ideas lol. I'll ask another question about it in another topic channel.