DIY external drives case/bay thermals

Lemme know if this "case" doesn't fall into Case Modding. Really don't know where to make a topic.
Anyway, for a long time I wanted to make some kind of a case for external drives I have and will have. Either didn't have time or money (to buy proper materials) or both to make it. All 6 drives I currently have are different sizes and body types and all cables are inadequately too long or too short and and and anyway decided from a getgo to DIY(M?).
Last night around 23h one of them got disconnected so what am I to do in those lockeddown times when extdrive needs replugging than disassemble my whole setup, clean it, put all back, spend 2 hours and lots of sweat on cable management and almost 4h on making external drives case from cardboard and black insulation tape.
Anyway, I got this:

Spoiler

20200418_043024.thumb.jpg.1601a9ceb60b3aa8c419ee13745173e3.jpg

Spoiler

20200418_043146.thumb.jpg.69654f8ced0c785ae0eae06754cc5604.jpg

Spoiler

20200418_043350.thumb.jpg.a50dc3ae38b3b1e2ab4810194bae3974.jpg

Spoiler

20200418_043617.thumb.jpg.eb748b197119429d36adf596c6324daf.jpg

Put this black and white cloth over for hiding some part made from my lack of nerves at the end from my sight and dust management. It's cloth I got when I got my laptop, those on the side were between display and keyboard, in front is a cloth bag in which laptop was. Didn't know I had i till last night, only 2 years since I bought it.

Too much info, I know, I'm sorry, long night full of peril and unsafe cardboard screwing and cutting methods. My QUESTION is: "How screwed are my disks from selfgenerating heat inside the "box"? Assume room temp is a room temp during mild summer, so 36°C and their workload is not-really-busy torrent machine for 5 HDDs and CK2 running from SSD tapped on the inside of this, on the right vertical, uhh, beam. How soon should I make something actually proper for civil and human use?

That's a mess of a lot of external drives,

The big ones can be disassembled and you will find in each one of them an internal hard drive that you can put inside your PC case,

As for the small Toshiba drive unfortunately it doesn't have SATA ports inside so this one will have to stay outside.

What i am saying is that you can take all of those drives from their enclosure and use them as an internal drives inside your PC,

You will need SATA cables for them.

Just remember that it can't be done with the small Toshiba one.

An example of the SEAGATE one:

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Honestly, it looks great to me! :) If your really paranoid about the heat, find a couple of 5v fans and wire them into a USB cable or some other 5v power source. Place them strategically inside to push the air.

Really nice work! But no duct tape? ;) 

BTW, I like to use hockey stick tape for stuff like this, Easy to find here in Canada and it sticks really well to most surfaces.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2020 at 4:31 AM, zogthegreat said:

Honestly, it looks great to me! :) If your really paranoid about the heat, find a couple of 5v fans and wire them into a USB cable or some other 5v power source. Place them strategically inside to push the air.

Really nice work! But no duct tape? ;) 

BTW, I like to use hockey stick tape for stuff like this, Easy to find here in Canada and it sticks really well to most surfaces.

Something like that was my initial idea. Both after making this and for a custom laptop cooler. Due to lockdown I neither have money at hand nor are store open anyway. Post in my city is really, really unreliable so I avoid it like pleague. ;)

Insulation tape runs in my blood. There's no other tape for me. :D
Hockey isn't really popular here in Croatia and evermoreso in Split (we have one hockey team in capital) so I doubt I'd be able to find it.

Plan to upgrade this box with better cabling solution so I can, if need to, remove a drive and not have to make a mess of cabling. Need more cables though and for that I gotta wait some time. Know better for next time I do something like this. 🤓
Always monitoring the temps but so far, so good. It's barely 20°C in the room so it's nothing compared to summer.