Coolermaster Glacer 240L /Eisberg 240 expanding the loop

Go to solution Solved by airdeano,

Hey people, my first post here! hope you won't be too thrown off if I ask anything stupid :)

And how do you guys feel about the Kraken g10 on the cards instead? (Gainward 770 phantoms) with a couple of 120 AIO's?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

/Razing

welcome to the LinusTechTips forums and the water cooling section!

the Gainward phantom is not a reference card. it is close and prolly with some

ingenuity the G10 can be made to work, but not a slam-dunk fit.

the Glacer pump would be a better pump over the Eisburg. the Glacer using

the off-shoot MCP-35x with a tad smaller pressure rating than the 35x, but

well enough to handle multi-block configurations. the Eisburg on the Alphacool

DC-LT ceramic pump is a little short winded than the Glacer choice. can handle

1-2 blocks for safe concerns. Alphacool was selling a dual pump bay/res to

handle more (loud unbearable noise) but i folded that project up years ago.

safe multi-block config would be the Glacer system.

now for the quiet news. 2x 240 isn't going to be very pleasing for temperatures and

noise for 100% load conditions. you'll need a 360x 60 and 240x 60 for low fan speed

quietness and low temperature satisfaction. the 2x 240x 30 will hold, until 100% load

and the fans will have to almost sub-sonic to keep them under 75° CPU and 60° GPU

for a duration of time. then the coolant will not have any control and start to super

heat. once the coolant catches 50°, it takes a lot to get it back to a calming number.

Hey people, my first post here! hope you won't be too thrown off if I ask anything stupid :)

I have decent understanding on how to build computers, and I wanted to take the stroll to watercooling.

And I found the Coolermaster Glacer/Eisberg 240l and was wondering if it would be possible to expand it's loop from the single 240 radiator and pump on the cpu to loop around two GTX 770 phantoms?

Is it powerfull enough?

How would you set up the loop? Rad->cpu->gpus->cpu? (since the pump is on the cpu)

Would I need a 2nd radiator?

Is the reservoir big enough?

And how do you guys feel about the Kraken g10 on the cards instead? (Gainward 770 phantoms) with a couple of 120 AIO's?

/Razing

nope

GPU has to be reference for G10 to work, check if the Phantoms are reference (I don't think they are)

if they are, an h50, h55, h60 is fine. Anything above that is wasting money. 

Error: 410

nope

GPU has to be reference for G10 to work, check if the Phantoms are reference (I don't think they are)

Alright...

How do I check if the phantoms use a reference pcb ? I've tried searching around and checking gainwards site but I cant seem to find a clear cut answer

Alright...

How do I check if the phantoms use a reference pcb ? I've tried searching around and checking gainwards site but I cant seem to find a clear cut answer

Email their support themselves or call them. 

alternatively, NZXT may have put out their compatibility guide, if not, it should be out soon. 

Email their support themselves or call them. 

alternatively, NZXT may have put out their compatibility guide, if not, it should be out soon. 

Thanks, Will try that, going to have to go trough my reseller tho.

nope

Im wondering, could you elaborate on what that is not sufficient enough to use the Glacer or Eisberg and extending its loop? I've seen a couple of builds on youtube where they extend it by adding 1 radiator, reservoir and new tubes. But they did not add the card in its loop, is the pump not good enough to cool both the cpu and a card or two?

The pump on both the Glacer and Eisberg are plenty strong enough to include a GPU waterblock into the mix. Our European office did a pump flow demonstration not that long ago and the Eisberg produced an impressive flow rate. The Glacer is also similarly equipped since part of the focus when working with Swiftech was to greatly increase pump speed and flow rate for a higher performance ceiling.

Im wondering, could you elaborate on what that is not sufficient enough to use the Glacer or Eisberg and extending its loop? I've seen a couple of builds on youtube where they extend it by adding 1 radiator, reservoir and new tubes. But they did not add the card in its loop, is the pump not good enough to cool both the cpu and a card or two?

Another rad and a single card, yes.

Two cards and multiple rads, no. Asking the pump to do that much is unreasonable. 

The pump on both the Glacer and Eisberg are plenty strong enough to include a GPU waterblock into the mix. Our European office did a pump flow demonstration not that long ago and the Eisberg produced an impressive flow rate. The Glacer is also similarly equipped since part of the focus when working with Swiftech was to greatly increase pump speed and flow rate for a higher performance ceiling.

Another rad and a single card, yes.

Two cards and multiple rads, no. Asking the pump to do that much is unreasonable. 

hm Alright, So it would not be sufficient to cool two GTX 770's through 2 240 rads with that pump/res combo on the cpu is what im getting.

Correct me if im mistaken, Has this ever been tested?

Thanks for your responces!

/Razing

hm Alright, So it would not be sufficient to cool two GTX 770's through 2 240 rads with that pump/res combo on the cpu is what im getting.

Correct me if im mistaken, Has this ever been tested?

Thanks for your responces!

/Razing

I'm sure many have done it. A GPU block+120/240mm (pay attention to restriction ratings when picking parts) should be completely fine. 

Two cards would probably be pushing it. I'm not saying it couldn't do it, but I wouldn't. 

/Razing

the Glacer pump would be a better pump over the Eisburg. the Glacer using

the off-shoot MCP-35x with a tad smaller pressure rating than the 35x, but

well enough to handle multi-block configurations. the Eisburg on the Alphacool

DC-LT ceramic pump is a little short winded than the Glacer choice. can handle

1-2 blocks for safe concerns. Alphacool was selling a dual pump bay/res to

handle more (loud unbearable noise) but i folded that project up years ago.

safe multi-block config would be the Glacer system.

now for the quiet news. 2x 240 isn't going to be very pleasing for temperatures and

noise for 100% load conditions. you'll need a 360x 60 and 240x 60 for low fan speed

quietness and low temperature satisfaction. the 2x 240x 30 will hold, until 100% load

and the fans will have to almost sub-sonic to keep them under 75° CPU and 60° GPU

for a duration of time. then the coolant will not have any control and start to super

heat. once the coolant catches 50°, it takes a lot to get it back to a calming number.

Glacier 240 can be upgraded because the pump is strong enough. The reason companies like corsair don't allow expanding on the liquid cooling system is because the pump isn't strong enough to handle any expanding. The pump is barely powerful enough to handle the CPU block itself

Thanks for all the responces! :) nice to see such a helpfull community.

I think im going to try out G10's on my cards, with h55's maybe? and an H100i on my cpu. I've heard nice things about corsairs AIOs, and it being almost 0 maintenance is a big + in my book.

Do you guys think that will be a nice setup for a FX-8350 processor and two 770s? (gainward phantoms)

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Going to have to check how much leeway I have between the cards on my motherboard 16x slots (Asus M5A99FX Pro r2.0), but I think I should be fine, they don't take that much more space than the heatsink/fans I guess?

And what do you think I might need to make it a good fit on my cards? Screw spacing are the same as on the reference 770, so actually putting it on won't be a problem, but what exactly is "die and die height"? is that around gpu chip itself?

Here's the Reference PCB

PCB GTX770 1

Here's the Gainward PCB

gainward phantom gtx770 naked

Also does anyone know how big of a psu I might need to get for this setup? It's already recommended to have an 850w with that SLI config.

Thanks! :D

/Razing

Thanks for all the responces! :) nice to see such a helpfull community.

I think im going to try out G10's on my cards, with h55's maybe? and an H100i on my cpu. I've heard nice things about corsairs AIOs, and it being almost 0 maintenance is a big + in my book.

Do you guys think that will be a nice setup for a FX-8350 processor and two 770s? (gainward phantoms)

Also does anyone know how big of a psu I might need to get for this setup? It's already recommended to have an 850w with that SLI config.

Thanks! :D

/Razing

i'd think the 2x G10 idea and the H100i would be the deffo shortcut over a full

custom loop. i don't think the 2x GPU needs two AIO, but there isn't a fab/mod

yet to use two pumps and a thicker radiator (ASUS Ares). TTL did a Gainward

780 SLI and didn't need near his 1200i, i'd think the 850 for 770 would be plenty.