Why Do We Create A Drive Partition When We Are Installing Windows?

Chivpcgamer

Im curious as im a bit rusty when it comes to this side of computing.

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

Still confused. Lol. I should of asked what a partition is first, can u guys enlighten me?

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

Ok so say if i set up a computer and bought a samsung ssd for example, when i install windows and select it as a boot drive etc i should create a partition so that windows can use the hard drive properly?

Ok so say if i set up a computer and bought a samsung ssd for example, when i install windows and select it as a boot drive etc i should create a partition so that windows can use the hard drive properly?

It depends, if you wanna use the entire ssd for the OS partition, then there is no need to create a partition, just point the drive in the installation and windows will take care of that. If you wanna install another OS in the same drive, then you must partition your drive.

Mobo: Asus Maximus Impact VI Processor: Intel 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.22Vlts Memory: 2x8 GB DDR3 1866Mhz GSkill Sniper

VGA: Sapphire HD 7970 3GB OC Audio: Asus Impact Supreme FX SSD: Mushkin Chronos 120GB HDD: WD Black 500GB

Power Supply: Coolermaster V650 Semi Modular Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i

Generally when you install windows it makes 3 partitions, but only 1 you can see (the main data part) It also creates a boot partition where the boot loader and other data is stored, and lastly a recovery partition. 

When installing windows it always wants to partition even if the partitions are there. You can point it at a partition that exists and it will just overwrite that partition though.

On linux you generally  create 2, the data partition and the swap partition, the swap is a portion of a harddrive that the OS can swap data to from RAM if the RAM fills up. 

Lastly sometimes people on windows will further partition the data partition to help organise data.. though personally i feel its bad practice. Should always get an extra hard drive if data space is becoming sparse

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?