Need new CPU & Motherboard | HELP ME D:

Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
2 hours ago, CrunchyShadow said:

I assume this is in USD right?

That's CAD

Good afternoon Canadians!

Back in 2016, I built my first PC. I bent the pins on my motherboard (intel skylake socket, i5 6400) , it wouldn't detect the ram, so I bent them back in place and everything has worked ever since then. Everything still works now, but I'm getting nervous about the motherboard because I know it's the first thing that will break in my system and recently I've been working in software development and I dread the day where I lose my progress because my mobo just poops out.

So I need a new MOBO. My new GPU (RX 580 8GB) is bottlenecked by my i5 6400 anyways so I might as well get a new processor.

BUT... Money is an object. In these times, money does not come by easily. Does anyone have any budget recommendations? I'm Canadian, and I wouldn't want to spend over 350$ CAD (about 250$ USD). At this price point, is it worth it to replace CPU?

Thanks a bunch....

- Crunchy :D

You could go pretty economical and still get a decent upgrade.

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $202.50 @ shopRBC
Motherboard ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $79.94 @ Vuugo
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $307.44
  Mail-in rebates -$25.00
  Total $282.44
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-16 14:36 EDT-0400  

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, CrunchyShadow said:

Good afternoon Canadians!

Back in 2016, I built my first PC. I bent the pins on my motherboard (intel skylake socket, i5 6400) , it wouldn't detect the ram, so I bent them back in place and everything has worked ever since then. Everything still works now, but I'm getting nervous about the motherboard because I know it's the first thing that will break in my system and recently I've been working in software development and I dread the day where I lose my progress because my mobo just poops out.

So I need a new MOBO. My new GPU (RX 580 8GB) is bottlenecked by my i5 6400 anyways so I might as well get a new processor.

BUT... Money is an object. In these times, money does not come by easily. Does anyone have any budget recommendations? I'm Canadian, and I wouldn't want to spend over 350$ CAD (about 250$ USD). At this price point, is it worth it to replace CPU?

Thanks a bunch....

- Crunchy :D

you could go for a i5 - 9600k 

7 minutes ago, tank234 said:

you could go for a i5 - 9600k 

That CPU alone is almost $300 CAD so you won't really be able to make a build around it easily. Bare minimum CPU and motherboard is near $400.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

19 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

You could go pretty economical and still get a decent upgrade.

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $202.50 @ shopRBC
Motherboard ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $79.94 @ Vuugo
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $307.44
  Mail-in rebates -$25.00
  Total $282.44
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-16 14:36 EDT-0400  

Nice... I assume this is in USD right? This is a good price point... going from a 4 core that barely boosts over 3ghz to a 6 core that boosts to 3.9 ghz will make a huge difference. I'll keep this one in mind

2 hours ago, CrunchyShadow said:

I assume this is in USD right?

That's CAD

Primary PC:

22 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

That's CAD

Crazy !!! Thanks a bunch :)

19 minutes ago, CrunchyShadow said:

Crazy !!! Thanks a bunch :)

I would second that recommendation. At that price point, don't think there is anything better. And Intel is pretty much out of the question. 

3 minutes ago, m9x3mos said:

I would second that recommendation. At that price point, don't think there is anything better. And Intel is pretty much out of the question. 

YES. It's funny because during the time of my first build AMD was out of the question. Seriously, 6 cores at roughly 4ghz + a motherboard with USB-C for under 300$ CAD? That was unimaginable 4 years ago

1 minute ago, CrunchyShadow said:

YES. It's funny because during the time of my first build AMD was out of the question. Seriously, 6 cores at roughly 4ghz + a motherboard with USB-C for under 300$ CAD? That was unimaginable 4 years ago

Yeah, it can be a weird feeling. 

Goes back to the way it was when I built my first one. But now I'm showing my age...

8 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

That's CAD

In the end I got a ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard with a Ryzen 5 3600 as they are thankfully compatible. Your build inspired me though, this cpu is only like 10$ more haha

6 hours ago, CrunchyShadow said:

In the end I got a ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard with a Ryzen 5 3600 as they are thankfully compatible. Your build inspired me though, this cpu is only like 10$ more haha

It's a pretty killer budget combo, doesn't really get much better for the low end tag team. The next thing I'd suggest would be faster ram and all, but if you're only pushing 1080p 60fps, this setup should be adequate even with slow ram.

Primary PC:

7 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

It's a pretty killer budget combo, doesn't really get much better for the low end tag team. The next thing I'd suggest would be faster ram and all, but if you're only pushing 1080p 60fps, this setup should be adequate even with slow ram.

You read my mind! My RAM is 2133 Mhz right now, but I have 24Gbs of it. I'm debating selling all 24gb and buying 8Gb or 16Gb of ~ 3000Mhz DDR4. Might have to spend extra for the 16 Gb though, since 8gb isn't enough these days.

3 minutes ago, CrunchyShadow said:

You read my mind! My RAM is 2133 Mhz right now, but I have 24Gbs of it. I'm debating selling all 24gb and buying 8Gb or 16Gb of ~ 3000Mhz DDR4. Might have to spend extra for the 16 Gb though, since 8gb isn't enough these days.

2x8GB is fairly affordable these days

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#s=403000,403200&Z=16384002&sort=price&page=1

Of course you could always try your hand at overclocking your current ram. If you stick with 2x8GB of your current set and manage something like 2800MHz, you're basically set.

Primary PC: