Games lagging

Daniel D.

Hey, my problem is, that when something is installed on the D drive(1TB) its lagging like every 1-2 minutes for 3-5 seconds (mostly steam games). But when I uninstall them and install them on the HDD where the OS is installed(230GB) they run smoothly. Does anyone know why this happens and how to fix it? I've been planning to buy a 1TB SSD (ADATA SX8200P), but for now with the corona sheet I really can't. Also the 1TB HDD is from a 5 year old laptop... Could that be the problem?

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2070 Super OC 8GB
MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING

RAM: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Team T-Force Delta RGB Black

PSU: CoolerMaster MasterWatt Lite 700W

17 minutes ago, Daniel D. said:

1TB HDD is from a 5 year old laptop

it's probably 5400rpm, so already slow, if it's 5 years old as well...

18 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

it's probably 5400rpm, so already slow, if it's 5 years old as well...

yup it is... Can I do something except buying a new one?

Just now, Daniel D. said:

yup it is... Can I do something except buying a new one?

I guess you've tried to defragment it.

1 hour ago, Daniel D. said:

Hey, my problem is, that when something is installed on the D drive(1TB) its lagging like every 1-2 minutes for 3-5 seconds (mostly steam games). But when I uninstall them and install them on the HDD where the OS is installed(230GB) they run smoothly. Does anyone know why this happens and how to fix it? I've been planning to buy a 1TB SSD (ADATA SX8200P), but for now with the corona sheet I really can't. Also the 1TB HDD is from a 5 year old laptop... Could that be the problem?

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2070 Super OC 8GB
MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING

RAM: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Team T-Force Delta RGB Black

PSU: CoolerMaster MasterWatt Lite 700W

Hey, so from what I hear, Maybe your disk needs to be De-Fragmented. You can use any free software for that. It's just lagging so it's probably not disk failure and it's already of 5400 rpm and it's 5 years old. So, Probably try defragmenting and disk cleanup tools and check if it lags still.If it does still, then ditch the HDD and buy a SSD as you said.

1 hour ago, boggy77 said:

I guess you've tried to defragment it.

I was about to do it but wasn't sure if it will erase any data. I just googled it and it seems like it doesn't.

1 hour ago, vidyasager162 said:

Hey, so from what I hear, Maybe your disk needs to be De-Fragmented. You can use any free software for that. It's just lagging so it's probably not disk failure and it's already of 5400 rpm and it's 5 years old. So, Probably try defragmenting and disk cleanup tools and check if it lags still.If it does still, then ditch the HDD and buy a SSD as you said.

Can you reccomend an app?

you can do it through windows. just right click on the drive, go to properties, tools, and then there will be a defragment or optimize button

8 minutes ago, vidyasager162 said:

How long does it take?I mean do I have to let the pc do its thing and not do anything else on it.And which hdd should I defragment

1 minute ago, Daniel D. said:

How long does it take?I mean do I have to let the pc do its thing and not do anything else on it.And which hdd should I defragment

It takes sometime to do that and I don't recommend that you do anything on the PC while it's Defragmenting. The HDD which is lagging , Defragment that one. 

1 minute ago, vidyasager162 said:

It takes sometime to do that and I don't recommend that you do anything on the PC while it's Defragmenting. The HDD which is lagging , Defragment that one. 

Ok, thanks for the help

5 minutes ago, Daniel D. said:

Ok, thanks for the help

Sure man, Anytime 😀