It’s time to eat my words… OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro

James

I imagine there will be a port of the Google Camera app soon and that seems to solve a lot of the problems people have with their phone's cameras.   

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1 hour ago, LinusTech said:

I use my phone camera like most people do. I use the stock app and send the results straight to a friend or to my social media app of choice.

For my purposes, which I've never hidden (I'm not a hardcore photography enthusiast) the OnePlus camera is good, but under certain circumstances not as good as my two year old Note 9, and I explain why in the video.

I never say it's terrible, and I also conclude that it's worth trying to make the switch for the other great things about the device.

The way I've always seen it, for the camera nerds out there who are using their phones differently from me, there are other reviewers who they can turn to for "which is the best 3rd party camera app for my phone" etc...

Maybe worth a re-evaluation though. I'll give it some more thought.

As for the video comparison, I saw them side by side without the extra compression. The OnePlus results were comparatively trash. You can take that to the bank.

I use my phones camera like you and everyone else, however I don't care about the quality due to the fact I actually own decent camera hardware, but that doesn't mean I buy phones with junk cameras in them.

I'm still confused how you could possibly think the pixelated mess that the note 9 created is still somehow better than the smoothness of the OP8. Take a second look between the 2 while yes the OP8 camera looks like it had a yellow filter on it you can actually see the detail of everything in the image, unlike the Note 9 not even the item in question produced great quality where you can clearly see pixels from processing. On a second look of the iPhone I noticed from the bed to the dresser the image went from acceptable to worst, almost like the iPhone fixated on the lighting and thought that was the level to go based on. Now on a phone the 2 images that you thought where great might look good but when you put them in a 1080 video and someone watches it on the desktop like me and possibly many others esp at this time with all the events at play.

Like I said my biggest grief of the review was the photo and camera part not the overall video.

True and it is how I found the app I listed but the issues you have during this video for the camera where all subjective and not objective, objective would have been like how you pointed out how the Pixel 4 was able to capture the hairs of a persons head or the detail in the persons skin, or in the OP8 case you would have pointed out how much detail was able to of gotten from the initial image while stating it was a bit on the dark side. However what you did during the majority of the camera section was subjective (in the rolls of material image I would say it was near iPhone quality more so and the Pixel 4 was last). You didn't like the quality of the night mode, yet you stated right after "compared to some manufacturers tendency to over compensate for poor lighting to the point Where you end up capturing a completely different looking scene", which while I can't say for sure which camera of the 3 had the most true to world color I can say you got a completely different picture from all 3 phones, and so I have to side with detail over what is assumed, and did the OP8 deliver on detail w/o loss of quality unlike the iPhone.

You saw the videos, we didn't so that is another potential subjective comment. It doesn't matter if it is true if we can't verify it, now does it? I get it you likely did it during your 2 weeks stuck at home possibly but still if you can't replicate the results to prove your standing why put it in? You can mention it but mentioning it in a way that is a personal experience not in a way that the cameras video mode is trash. I've seen compression from every smartphone some worst some better in the video I would say OP8 was one of the better ones esp considering the coat your cat has, if it was as bad as you have made it sound your cats fur wouldn't have made it threw the Youtube encoding process unharmed even at 1080. At 480 I can see some bad processing but yet again that is Youtubes fault not the OP8.

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

reds blown out

seems ok, a little dark out of the gate, but shadows seems to be intact

grainy from digital gain ._.

It looked more yellow to me, reminded me of the old streetlamps with incandescent bulbs.

Watch the video and look to the right, nothing exists but vague outlines, but I do agree it does seem ok, just not as much as Linus made it sound.

Absolute trash imo, only good for those who are lazy to turn up brightness on their phones for 5 seconds, or for those who look at a nighttime image in broad daylight and turn around and complain about it being so damn dark.

On 4/15/2020 at 3:13 AM, LinusTech said:

I was there in person. The OnePlus shot was nothing like what it actually looked like.

I see, but still the noise on iPhone's shot is terrible and I think that does matter when comparing the pictures.

I find it baffling how much energy people are spending on raging one way or another about the clown-thingy pictures. Yes, all phones have situations where they derp out and produce bad pictures; it doesn't automatically mean they will always produce terrible results. Have any of you actually checked out any other reviews and their samples of the shots OP8P can take in a dark room?

Here's eg. a picture of a candle in an otherwise dark room on the Oneplus 8 Pro:

Spoiler

candle-op8p.thumb.jpg.fb392762a6e388bc0d2a476c1524e088.jpg

And here's the same on the iPhone 11:

Spoiler

candle-iphone11.thumb.jpg.d3d87bfb359462da925b366ff0ff59cb.jpg

The one taken by OP8P sure looks a lot better even as-is, and since it's not all blown-out, someone who actually knows what they're doing could probably tune it to look even better with some photo-manipulation software.

From all the reviews I've read, it just seems to me like OP8P is overall slightly worse than the competition in low-light situations, but every now and then produces far better results as well.

EDIT: Forgot to mention where I got the pictures from. The pictures are from the Tom's Hardware Guide's review -- credit where credit is due.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Moreover, once Gcam port comes out, OP 8 users will be able to take shots with Pixel-like quality, which in my opinion is far superior than what you can get on iPhone or Samsung.

I guess there is one reason you could say the oneplus has gotten more expensive is that the tariffs have gotten stronger. In mainland China the base model oneplus 8 sells for ~565 USD and the maxed oneplus 8 pro goes for ~849 USD. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

• 3 months later...

Can someone tell me, which launcher he is using in that oneplus 8?

Cause the default oneplus launcher doesn't have a google feed on swiping left at home screen.

Sailor/Mariner/Navigator of high seas

Contact Me Below:

Email: milindpatel63@gmail.com

Facebook: fb.com/milindp63

Twitter: twitter.com/milind__patel

Google+: milindpatel63

Instagram: instagram.com/milind__patel

• 2 months later...
On 8/9/2020 at 9:11 PM, milindpatel63 said:

Can someone tell me, which launcher he is using in that oneplus 8?

Cause the default oneplus launcher doesn't have a google feed on swiping left at home screen.

oxygen os 11 replaces the oneplus shelf with the google feed

sorry if this is too old im just going through oneplus threads thinking about getting an 8 pro

hi