Does 144Hz make sense if I'm only playing at 60fps

silvrbckgorilla
Go to solution Solved by Olaw,

My personal experience as someone who plays most games in the 60 fps range- When i upgraded to 144hz, i really did not see at first what all the fuss was about. I was juggling between displayport, dvi, hdmi to get the image to look the way i like because somehow everything looked a bit off with the higher refresh rates and with different cables, colors/brightness etc. Every game that could utilize the high fps like Hunter Cotw, Doom, looked amazing but at the expense of very loud gpu fan. And every game designed to run lower frame rates all looked stuttery and not smooth at all, i had to make rivatuner profile for every game and tweak with the fps limiter to get the game to look right. The windows user experince is noticeably smoother i give you that but everything else was such a hassle.

Title says it all. 

Does it make sense? My friends swears by 144hz in every case.

I'm only playing slow paced RPG and strategy games like witcher, kingdom come, total war etc. I don't play multiplayer or FPS because I hate people.

Intel i5-4460,Sapphire Nitro R9 390 8GB, 8GB RAM @ 1866Mhz, 120GB SSD + 1,5TB HDD, Asrock H81M-HDS, Fortron hyper 600w

if you don't play any game that could be pushed past 60fps, then no, there's no point in it. if your system is the one in your signature, it would struggle to get much more than 60fps in modern games anyway.

It's a much better windows experience in general. But if you never play above 60fps it only makes sense if you need a new screen anyway. 

No I upgraded. That's my old system.

Now I'm in the market for a new monitor. I was thinking about 4k60hz and QHD144hz. All my friends keep pushing 144hz, but in my scenario I think 4k60hz makes more sense. Especially because I use a Lightroom a lot. 

Just wanted to check. Thanks

Intel i5-4460,Sapphire Nitro R9 390 8GB, 8GB RAM @ 1866Mhz, 120GB SSD + 1,5TB HDD, Asrock H81M-HDS, Fortron hyper 600w

6 minutes ago, silvrbckgorilla said:

Does it make sense? My friends swears by 144hz in every case.

Title: "Does 144Hz make sense if I'm only playing at 60fps"

Technically, a higher refresh rate could display the frame given by your videocard a bit faster, because it is highly unlikely the 60fps lines up with the 60Hz. In practice it doesn't do anything more for you.

7 minutes ago, silvrbckgorilla said:

I don't play multiplayer or FPS because I hate people.

Same. :P 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Higher refresh rates "feel" much better, so I'd personally be suggesting you go for it and play those games at the higher rate.

Its not just FPS, games where you are scrolling the world around will give far less eye strain at a higher refresh rate and as mentioned above, the whole PC just "feels" faster because everything you do is displayed on the screen quicker.

I actually hate that I'm stuck with a 4K 60Hz screen now and am constantly on the lookout for something at least 120Hz, but they're so expensive and it seems anything smaller than 27" has fallen out of favour, with 32" actually being quite common which is WAY too big for my setup.

However like you say, Lightroom is the catch here where higher resolution might be more beneficial.  I wouldn't go back from 4K to get 120Hz for similar reasons, I need the resolution.  I'm only going 120Hz if I can get 4K too.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

My personal experience as someone who plays most games in the 60 fps range- When i upgraded to 144hz, i really did not see at first what all the fuss was about. I was juggling between displayport, dvi, hdmi to get the image to look the way i like because somehow everything looked a bit off with the higher refresh rates and with different cables, colors/brightness etc. Every game that could utilize the high fps like Hunter Cotw, Doom, looked amazing but at the expense of very loud gpu fan. And every game designed to run lower frame rates all looked stuttery and not smooth at all, i had to make rivatuner profile for every game and tweak with the fps limiter to get the game to look right. The windows user experince is noticeably smoother i give you that but everything else was such a hassle.

7 hours ago, silvrbckgorilla said:

I don't play multiplayer or FPS because I hate people.

7 hours ago, minibois said:

Same. :P 

I literally play them because of that reason haha, kill 'em :P

Anyway, depends in games that you play with higher frames sure, it's great, scrolling is even better. Depends how much you care and if you want 4K for work more.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |