Intel gamer thinking of going AMD..nervous!

I been using Intel chips for 20 years or more, and I am thinking about going AMD Ryzen.

Price matters, but it is not the be all and end all and taking a lower speed or lower core/thread count is fine, as long as I am happy with the final result.

I use my PC for gaming, sometimes Triple A but also a lot of the time games that run just fine on my XPS Dell laptop.

I record music, but I have interfaces for sound that I am assuming it will run just fine in windows regardless of the chipset. 

I do video editing, but not a great deal, but I want it to work when I do it. 

Apart from that it is generally used for the basic office type work that I do from home which I am not expecting to be impact.

If there is any impact on gaming, will it be lessened by a higher end graphics card? Will a 1060 suffer more than a 2060 which suffers more than a 2080 ti?

I am being seduced by high core/thread counts and a cheaper price, but I don't want to regret saving £300 today, and realising 3 months down the line that AMD doesn't do X, Y or Z to the standard that I was hoping for or used to with Intel.

So looking for some reassurances from people who use their AMD machines, on windows, for the same purposes as above and can say whether they have encountered any problems, any performance issues or any failures to perform any of the tasks set out above.

I ask because I hear about Intel being better for gaming, or Intel being better for video rendering and I just don't want to make a mistake.

Thanks

Adobe tends to favour Intel CPUs, but it's gotten better. Shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Intel has higher frequency some of their CPUs, so some programs will like that more than a higher IPC/core count which AMD's Ryzen 3000 has.

In my own experience, switching over to AMD has only brought benefits to the things I do(VMs for schoolwork, gaming, coding etc.). Extra core/thread count really helps, and the frequency thing isn't really an issue for me.

11 minutes ago, Dravinianv2 said:

I been using Intel chips for 20 years or more, and I am thinking about going AMD Ryzen.

Price matters, but it is not the be all and end all and taking a lower speed or lower core/thread count is fine, as long as I am happy with the final result.

I use my PC for gaming, sometimes Triple A but also a lot of the time games that run just fine on my XPS Dell laptop.

I record music, but I have interfaces for sound that I am assuming it will run just fine in windows regardless of the chipset. 

I do video editing, but not a great deal, but I want it to work when I do it. 

Apart from that it is generally used for the basic office type work that I do from home which I am not expecting to be impact.

If there is any impact on gaming, will it be lessened by a higher end graphics card? Will a 1060 suffer more than a 2060 which suffers more than a 2080 ti?

I am being seduced by high core/thread counts and a cheaper price, but I don't want to regret saving £300 today, and realising 3 months down the line that AMD doesn't do X, Y or Z to the standard that I was hoping for or used to with Intel.

So looking for some reassurances from people who use their AMD machines, on windows, for the same purposes as above and can say whether they have encountered any problems, any performance issues or any failures to perform any of the tasks set out above.

I ask because I hear about Intel being better for gaming, or Intel being better for video rendering and I just don't want to make a mistake.

Thanks

my 2 cents...

1.- choose good ram for amd fabric ryzen.

2,. prepare your geek side for bios tweaking.

3.- amd works better for multicore apps, intel is all ipc.

4.-going amd is no brainer.

I've been running a Ryzen 9 3900x for several months now, have not really had any issues with gaming. The only major issue I've had is with Ryzen is Hackintosh, and even then it is only slightly more of a pain to set up. Before this I had a slightly older Intel system.

A few years ago, Intel was hands down better for gaming, especially at the high end. Over the last few years, Ryzen has since caught up and maybe surpassed Intel in gaming performance and performance per dollar. 

12 minutes ago, Dravinianv2 said:

Usually if the CPU is hindering performance, the more powerful GPUs are more greatly impacted, not the less powerful.

Either way, Ryzen could barely be considered a hindrance (unless you work for userbenchmark apparently)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Imma not go into details, I've been into Intel for a very long time now, but built my first custom PC with AMD.

You'll be satisfied. AMD is no brainer >.<

My very first pc that I built was back in 2014 and used an FX 8350... I ended up building another pc a couple months later on Jan 1st 2015 because I wasn't satisfied with it, the pc I made rocked an i7 4790k, and with that I was sold on Intel. Two years later on Jan 1st 2017 I went to the x99 platform with an i7 6800k, that being a 6 core cpu... Honestly that was a bit of a bad experience with me since for the first month or so I was having a lot of issues like random shutdowns, inability to OC it that much. It got better after a bios update which solved my problems, and allowed me to OC it (which I still feel let down since those ones didn't seem to OC well). I used that system for over two years and I really wanted an upgrade but I felt like I'd get ripped off by going to anything else Intel. I thought 1st gen ryzen was a much needed comeback, but it wasn't to the level where I was willing to jump ship yet. 2nd gen was an improvement over 1st, but I still wanted to wait things out a bit more. To be fair, test results I saw online showed the ryzen 7 2700x outperforming my 6800k in just about every way, gaming included. 3rd gen ryzen was the one that I immediately hopped on board of, I ordered my 7 3700x the first day they went out for sale, which realistically should avoid doing, being an early adopter. There were a good amount hurdles being an early adopter, but it all got ironed out after a couple months. Fastforward to now and I love my 3700x. The 3700x is tied with the i7 4790k as a cpu that I love greatly.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

In gaming there are no more incompatibilities from the CPU part.

Game developers spend their time optimizing their games based on which one has the most users, well the facts currently gamers are shifting to AMD.

Core count, the consensus today, games mostly using up to 6 cores, that's why you see many people recommending Ryzen 3600 if you only game.

Having more cores won't be beneficial in this regard.

Intel currently has the bleeding edge for it's high clockspeed, which result in better single core performance.

But the gap is slowly narrowed. And once AMD have the 4000 series it will be a monopoly.

For the performance, upgrading GPU class would significantly increase the performance.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

21 minutes ago, Dravinianv2 said:

Thanks all, appreciate you taking the time to let me know about your experiences.

if you do decide to go with AMD, by this point it might be a better idea to wait it out a couple more months for them to release 4th gen ryzen. That said though I don't think 4th gen will be as big of a difference as 2nd to 3rd was, I see 4th gen being similar to 2nd gen where it's more of a refinement and optimized, as well as having graphics capabilities, so the performance gap will probably be similar to 1st to 2nd gen, than 2nd to 3rd. That said though if there's still technically more performance to be had for the same price points, then holding off til 4th gen might not be a bad idea.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿