Most power efficient Ryzen 3000 capable motherboard.

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
23 minutes ago, Totsuzen said:

First of all, I have this account since 2016 and I am now making my first post, so hi everyone!聽馃憢

I am planning on building聽a 3rd gen Ryzen system that is聽going to聽be powered on聽24/7. Essentially聽a multi-purpose home server performing聽non-critical tasks.

I'm aware that none of the AM4 motherboards聽will idle as聽efficiently as the intel offerings from the same manufacturer and price range. Having said that, what budget AM4 motherboard (~80 USD) do you guys recommend having power efficiency in mind (especially idle/base clock wattage)?

I was looking at the cheapest B450 offering from ASUS (Prime B450)聽and it looks pretty solid. I want to pair it with a Ryzen 3 3200G and 16GB of RAM (2x8). Looking for total DC power draw measures on all rails if possible so the power supply efficiency is not a variable to account for.

Are any reviewers聽measuring those values? (you would have to measure the amperage between the power supply and motherboard).聽I've been looking聽for any tech blogger / reviewer聽that compares different motherboard models and makers while using he same CPU but found nothing relevant聽(maybe I just suck at googling).

I'm aiming for ~22W idle from the wall@ 230V AC, I'll be using an older corsair聽80+ "White" PSU which has聽a 75% efficiency on low loads according to its efficiency curve聽so that would be around 16.5W total DC wattage on idle from all rails.

(Just for the system itself, no peripherals, no storage except for solid state OS drive.)

I'll be running a headless linux-based聽distro聽on it. That means no desktop environment, just the CLI.

Suggestions/Opinions聽are welcome. Thanks in advance :)

The B450 chipset is 5w.聽

1 stick 8GB DDR4 module at 1.2v 2133mhhz is about 3w. x2 6w

The 3200G will be about 25-30w idle. 50w'ish at load.

Not counting other peripherals.聽

You'll be close to your goal I think.

First of all, I have this account since 2016 and I am now making my first post, so hi everyone!聽馃憢

I am planning on building聽a 3rd gen Ryzen system that is聽going to聽be powered on聽24/7. Essentially聽a multi-purpose home server performing聽non-critical tasks.

I'm aware that none of the AM4 motherboards聽will idle as聽efficiently as the intel offerings from the same manufacturer and price range. Having said that, what budget AM4 motherboard (~80 USD) do you guys recommend having power efficiency in mind (especially idle/base clock wattage)?

I was looking at the cheapest B450 offering from ASUS (Prime B450)聽and it looks pretty solid. I want to pair it with a Ryzen 3 3200G and 16GB of RAM (2x8). Looking for total DC power draw measures on all rails if possible so the power supply efficiency is not a variable to account for.

Are any reviewers聽measuring those values? (you would have to measure the amperage between the power supply and motherboard).聽I've been looking聽for any tech blogger / reviewer聽that compares different motherboard models and makers while using he same CPU but found nothing relevant聽(maybe I just suck at googling).

I'm aiming for ~22W idle from the wall@ 230V AC, I'll be using an older corsair聽80+ "White" PSU which has聽a 75% efficiency on low loads according to its efficiency curve聽so that would be around 16.5W total DC wattage on idle from all rails.

(Just for the system itself, no peripherals, no storage except for solid state OS drive.)

I'll be running a headless linux-based聽distro聽on it. That means no desktop environment, just the CLI.

Pretty much all motherboards with the same chipset use about the same amount of power, If you want the one that uses the least you should look for the one with the least features. (no lighting, no wifi, no 2.5/10gbit ports etc)

Asrock B450m Pro 4 is generally one of the better cheap boards, MSI tomahawk if you want less shitty fan control

--- Purple Prime ---
i7 8700k + Hyper 212 Evo | MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon |聽G-Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz RGB 16GB聽| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM850i | Fractal Design Define R4 |聽LG 27UD68-P | Logitech G502 + G910 | Windows 10 Pro

--- Proteus Server ---

AyyMD Ryzen 5 3600聽| Asrock B450m Pro-4聽| Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB)| Sapphire RX570 NITRO+ 8GB

Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB + Seagate 1TB 2.5" + 5TB iDrive聽 | Windows 10 Pro (Temporary)

--- Camera Stuff聽---
Canon EOS 77D | Canon EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM聽
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

6 minutes ago, pbx2 said:

Pretty much all motherboards with the same chipset use about the same amount of power, If you want the one that uses the least you should look for the one with the least features. (no lighting, no wifi, no 2.5/10gbit ports etc)

Asrock B450m Pro 4 is generally one of the better cheap boards, MSI tomahawk if you want less shitty fan control

I think he is talking about the efficiency of the VRMs.聽聽

AMD Ryzen 5800X|聽 Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6聽Corsair SP120L聽fans聽 |聽 Asus聽Crosshair VII WiFi聽X470聽 |聽 G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB@ 3800MHz聽14-14-14-14-30聽 |聽 EVGA聽3080 FTW3 Hybrid聽 |聽聽Samsung 970 EVO M.2聽NVMe聽500GB -聽Boot Drive聽 |聽 Samsung 850 EVO聽SSD 1TB - Game Drive聽 |聽 Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive聽 |聽 EVGA 650 G3 PSU |聽Thermaltake Core P3 Case聽

23 minutes ago, Totsuzen said:

The B450 chipset is 5w.聽

57 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The B450 chipset is 5w.聽

Thanks... It will always聽vary from board to board even while respecting AMDs and DDR4 voltage specs etc. that's why I asked if you guys knew of any specific boards that were "better optimized" for lower idle power consumption, not so much in respect to the hardware itself but "out of the box" bios settings (how it controls CPU idle states and power management)... But yeah I think 30W Idle worst case scenario is a safe realistic bet聽assuming a proper 80+ gold low wattage聽psu (for higher efficiency at light loads).

So I pretty much just need to prioritize non feature-rich boards but that still have relatively聽good quality VRMs I assume then,聽right? The rest is bios controllable...

Would聽undervolting have a noticeable聽impact on the power consumption and is it worth at all since I don't plan on overclocking? In fact I want it to run it聽as quiet as possible while retaining stock performance and boost clocks.

1 hour ago, nick name said:

I think he is talking about the efficiency of the VRMs.聽聽

I'm聽considering things as a whole (Stock manufacturer bios configs, as well as how the motherboard itself聽is built) but since you're touching on that, does it make a noticeable difference having higher quality/more聽phases and VRMs?

I ask this because take the聽X570 chipset for example. This chipset is clearly focused on squeezing as much聽performance from the CPUs so pretty much every board that carries this chipset SHOULD have reasonable VRMs and a good power delivery system聽to ensure more stability on higher clocks.... yet its power consumption is so high on idle聽compared to X470. Is this just聽because of pcie 4.0 or just poor optimization on the silicon/hardware聽level?

If you or someone else聽could share something more in-depth on how VRM quality affects idle聽power usage I'd appreciate it!

2 hours ago, Totsuzen said:

Thanks... It will always聽vary from board to board even while respecting AMDs and DDR4 voltage specs etc. that's why I asked if you guys knew of any specific boards that were "better optimized" for lower idle power consumption, not so much in respect to the hardware itself but "out of the box" bios settings (how it controls CPU idle states and power management)... But yeah I think 30W Idle worst case scenario is a safe realistic bet聽assuming a proper 80+ gold low wattage聽psu (for higher efficiency at light loads).

So I pretty much just need to prioritize non feature-rich boards but that still have relatively聽good quality VRMs I assume then,聽right? The rest is bios controllable...

Would聽undervolting have a noticeable聽impact on the power consumption and is it worth at all since I don't plan on overclocking? In fact I want it to run it聽as quiet as possible while retaining stock performance and boost clocks.

The more you plug into the board, the more power it'll consume.

Under-volting will not have much impact on idle loads while some cpu cores/threads will be gated during idle anyways. would be of all maybe a couple watt at best.