Do I need a Sound Card??

Argentum077

Hello everyone... I've been looking into components for my rig... plan to build a new one... now... do i need a sound card or can it be a DAC or something?? i was looking at the Xonar Phoebus... getting some ATH M50x... i'm getting into audio and I don't really know what's best... any suggestions or recommendations are highly appreciated ... Budget < $200

Waiting...

ath-m50x? nope

get an o2 amp (if there is nothing wrong with the onboard of your motherboard) and pick something else for $180 for your headphones

No their just a waste of money you will be fine with on board audio

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

ath-m50x? nope

get an o2 amp (if there is nothing wrong with the onboard of your motherboard) and pick something else for $180 for your headphones

What headphones do you recommend?? ...

Waiting...

I think he meant that you didn't need a sound card or anything special at all to drive the M50x.

but if you want suggestions, take a look at Shure SRH440 with 840 pads, imo they're better in every way.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

If you are going to be sitting at your desk then get something like DT 990 or HD 558.

Quote me to get a reply!

I don't know really for $180 :/

Doesn't have to be for $180 ... i was under the impression those were quite good... i've never invested in audio before... so idk how much is appropriate... or what is good... so i'm open to suggestions...

Waiting...

Doesn't have to be for $180 ... i was under the impression those were quite good... i've never invested in audio before... so idk how much is appropriate... or what is good... so i'm open to suggestions...

I personally would go with the 990 pro's that I have for electronic music and music with lots of bass and treble, if you want more focus on mids and treble I'd recommend the ATH-AD700/900x

Hello everyone... I've been looking into components for my rig... plan to build a new one... now... do i need a sound card or can it be a DAC or something?? i was looking at the Xonar Phoebus... getting some ATH M50x... i'm getting into audio and I don't really know what's best... any suggestions or recommendations are highly appreciated ... Budget < $200

just use on board but at the back of the case. the only reason using a sound card instead of the audio port on the front of the case is because by the time the the sound is transferred from the header to the port, the amount of interference from whats happening in your case, use the back port and you wont have the interference 

The Beast [Case -  Corsair 750D CPU - I5 4670k @ 4.3ghz 1.2V CPU cooler - Hyper 212 evo Mobo - MSI g45 z87 RAM - G.Skill Z series 4*4@1866mhz GPU - Gigabyte windforce 3x r9 290 Storage - SSD, samsung 840 evo 120gb HDD, Western Digital Blue 1tb PSU - SilverStone Strider silver 80+ 750WPeripherals [Monitor - ASUS VS239 IPS 23" Keyboard - Corsair K95 Mouse - Mad Catz RAT 7]

Anyone got any feedback on AKG K702 or K551?? ... they any good?? ... i've read good stuff about them but i'd like your opinion... right now i'm leaning forward the 990 pro that you've mentioned... also... would i need a DAC or an Amp??

Waiting...

If you are going to be sitting at your desk then get something like DT 990 or HD 558.

I personally would go with the 990 pro's that I have for electronic music and music with lots of bass and treble, if you want more focus on mids and treble I'd recommend the ATH-AD700/900x

I haven't tried the 990's but do they have the

It kinda depends on your music taste and your listening environment. While I love my AD700's the lack of bass has always slightly bugged me. I believe the HD558's are similar but not as bad in the lack of bass department. Also there is no way you will be wearing them in public. I would say stick with the M50's if you want a really good all round pair of headphones that you can use in public (open back have no noise isolation).

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Anyone got any feedback on AKG K702 or K551?? ... they any good?? ... i've read good stuff about them but i'd like your opinion... right now i'm leaning forward the 990 pro that you've mentioned... also... would i need a DAC or an Amp??

I've owned the K 701, which is pretty much the same thing as the K 702 and Q 701. The highs are simply magical. If I listened to more classic rock they'd probably have been my go-to headphone.

A tad lacking in bass depending on your taste, they need a good low-impedance amp, and one of the support pieces is prone to cracking and eventually breaking completely if it's not well cared for. Coupled with the relatively high price, they're not something that gets many recommendations despite being pretty good.

What about DT 990 pro 250 Ohms & O2 Amp?? ... I don't know much about audio so i'll appreciate your comments about it...

Waiting...

What about DT 990 pro 250 Ohms & O2 Amp?? ... I don't know much about audio so i'll appreciate your comments about it...

It's a popular option, but not as overhyped like the M50. FiiO E10 if you don't want to spend extra on the O2, but the O2 is a good investment for clean sound.

It's a popular option, but not as overhyped like the M50. FiiO E10 if you don't want to spend extra on the O2, but the O2 is a good investment for clean sound.

Is the FiiO E10 or O2 better than the SupremeFX in a Formula VI??

Waiting...

Is the FiiO E10 or O2 better than the SupremeFX in a Formula VI??

Yes. They use the "600 ohm headphone amp" on the Formula VI according to their site, which means 10 ohm output impedance and all the bad things that brings to lower ohm'd headphones. That little opamp they add is just about the stupidest thing they could possibly do to make their "premium" boards worse than lower end models.

Still, maybe not worth it to upgrade depending on the headphones. A 250 ohm Beyerdynamic wont suffer from a low dampening factor, so I'd make that a recommendation for you to keep things cheap and good. No need for an external DAC or amp that way.