Installed new cpu, PC won't turn on at all

I've installed a new CPU for a friend, who has a pretty old machine but still wanted a little upgrade. I've updated the bios to the latest version, and it was working fine with the old cpu and then I took it out and placed in the new one. Thermal paste and all. Plugged the CPU fan header in, pluged everything the way it was supposed to go and the PC wouldnt start. None of the fans would spin, nothing would happen, only a little LED light would turn on and that's it. I put back the old CPU to see what the problem was and still nothing. Tried resetting the CMOS and still nothing. Maybe swapping the PSU would work? I don't know, i just feel bad for messing up a friend's PC. If anyone has any solutions that'd be much appreciated! Thank y'all so much.

It was a MSI H61M-P20 (G3) board and an Intel i3-3240, if you have any questions for me that would help solve my little problem, please ask

I would try putting the old cpu in and see if that works, then you can tell if the new cpu has issues or if something else may be wrong

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

You may have bent a pin without noticing or loosend the ram, a cable,... just check if everything is plugged in right first and if that doesn't do anything check for bent pins or any debry in the socket.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You may have bent a pin without noticing or loosend the ram, a cable,... just check if everything is plugged in right first and if that doesn't do anything check for bent pins or any debry in the socket.

Also if I may add to this do you see any red light on the motherboard or just the green light ?

Intel 10980XE @ 4.6Ghz / Gigabyte x299x Aorus Master / Gigabyte WF RTX 2080 / Corsair Dominator RGB 64GB @ 3200 / Corsair AX1600i / Corsair H115i Pro RGB / Corsair Carbide 330r Blackout Edition / AOC 40" 4k Curved Monitor / LG 55" C9 OLED 120hz / Logitech G Pro Wireless & G915 Wireless Linear & G935 Wireless / Scarlett 2i2 USB / KRK Rokits 10-3-1 Gen4 / Sennheiser HD 650 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk By BandLab / Corsair MP510 960GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial M4 500GB / LaCie External Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB

3 minutes ago, Mike Tyson said:

Also if I may add to this do you see any red light on the motherboard or just the green light ?

Gonna also add on to this :P. Got any motherboard speaker that may give beepcodes?

1 minute ago, Mike Tyson said:

Nothing on the motherboard turns on, only a little blue LED at the front of the case, i think the one that indicates that the PC is turned on, but still no fans no noise, nothing.

Just now, Davud said:

Nothing on the motherboard turns on, only a little blue LED at the front of the case, i think the one that indicates that the PC is turned on, but still no fans no noise, nothing.

Try one stick of RAM to narrow down your issue.  If same problem try the second stick and hopefully it is the RAM as that is easy to RMA and get replaced.

Intel 10980XE @ 4.6Ghz / Gigabyte x299x Aorus Master / Gigabyte WF RTX 2080 / Corsair Dominator RGB 64GB @ 3200 / Corsair AX1600i / Corsair H115i Pro RGB / Corsair Carbide 330r Blackout Edition / AOC 40" 4k Curved Monitor / LG 55" C9 OLED 120hz / Logitech G Pro Wireless & G915 Wireless Linear & G935 Wireless / Scarlett 2i2 USB / KRK Rokits 10-3-1 Gen4 / Sennheiser HD 650 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk By BandLab / Corsair MP510 960GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial M4 500GB / LaCie External Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB

13 minutes ago, Davud said:

It was a MSI H61M-P20 (G3) board and an Intel i3-3240, if you have any questions for me that would help solve my little problem, please ask

What's the new CPU?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

What's the new CPU?

That's the new one, the old one was some pentium, i cant remember correctly.

2 minutes ago, Mike Tyson said:

Try one stick of RAM to narrow down your issue.  If same problem try the second stick and hopefully it is the RAM as that is easy to RMA and get replaced.

There's actually only one stick of ram already 

1 minute ago, Davud said:

There's actually only one stick of ram already 

I would try another slot then

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

1 minute ago, Davud said:

That's the new one, the old one was some pentium, i cant remember correctly.

Ah, ok :) I'd second the advise to see if the old CPU still works. Maybe check if a BIOS update is available.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

12 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Ah, ok :) I'd second the advise to see if the old CPU still works. Maybe check if a BIOS update is available.

doesn't work, and the bios was updated to the latest version prior of the cpu upgrade :(

I'd take it out of the case at this point, and have minimum hardware needed to run. Then bridge the power pins on the FP connections to try and start it.

Also, some pics might help, someone could see something you missed.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

9 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

I'd take it out of the case at this point, and have minimum hardware needed to run. Then bridge the power pins on the FP connections to try and start it.

Also, some pics might help, someone could see something you missed.

It's a prebuild form 2011/12 and hasn't been really opened since, i cleaned it. but still got a little dust on it. I can't work on it at the moment because of quarantine, can't leave the house till monday. If you think of any solutions based on the pictures or need another one from a different angle just reply. Thank you all for trying to come up with a solution.

FD148C94-5235-42CE-BC08-ABDEEE9F5B5B.jpg

870CA507-102E-49B4-B7A0-0206FF742C35.jpg

9510E50B-311D-46F5-858B-3282D847923C.jpg

E5DFAEA5-627F-4128-B1A5-DE954FF31030.jpg

Could you remove the fan and the CPU so we can see the socket and back of the CPU?

Then we could see if there are any bent pins :)

"hi 911? my grandma is on the floor and shes not responding to anything"
"have you tried turning it off and on again?"

ding ding ding ding ding ding ding, di-di-ding

1 hour ago, Davud said:

Me thinks it is the PSU.  For it to not turn on for even 1 second and the power button does nothing then I would suggest to get your hands on another PSU and test it out.  So long as your mobo lights are on the mobo is most probably the reason this is happening.

It could be lots of things unfortunately, so it's a case of trying something to see if it works... so please be patient with any suggestions that you may or may not have tried already. Hopefully we'll get there in the end though :D

Also, I'm not positive if it'd just not even try to POST, but try resetting CMOS in case there were settings brought over that just don't work with this chip. Easiest way is to turn off the pc power, press and hold the power button to discharge any capacitors that might still be retaining power in them, then remove the battery from the motherboard, wait a few seconds and then re-insert, switch back on and try to start up the pc again... if successful you should hear it start up, and it should go straight into BIOS for you to enter any settings you need in there.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini