window thinks .NET framework 4.8 is installed, but its not

Bfuqua

im running window 10 home. i've got all current updates.(according to windows update anyway.)

so in order to install discord, i need to install .NET framework 4.5.2 or later. 

windows swears that i have 4.8 installed. 

but when i go to installed programs, theres nothing there about net frameworks. nothing at all. 

and when i go the registry, the folder where net framework shit is suppose to be (the NPD folder) doesnt exist. 

and when i check installed updates, theres nothing about net frameworks. i even googled all the KB numbers for the installed updates, and none of them are related to net frameworks. 

when i try to install .NET framework 4.8 it tells me that it cant install it, because its already installed. 

but i cant install discord, because i dont have a .NET framework installed. i also cant install VLC media player. 

SO WHAT DO I DO ABOUT THIS?!?!?!?!?!

i have scoured the internet looking for a solution to this problem FOR 3 MONTHS NOW. nothing. and i've seen posts on microsofts support forums asking this same question, and they always brush it off as if the person asking about is lieing or something. they tell them to check installed programs, and then go download the installer, despite the fact the poster says they tried all that. microsoft refuses to do anything about this. 

i've heard that reinstalling windows can fix this issue, but i've also heard from the same people that microsoft keeps brushing off that reinstalling windows didnt fix anything. im completely at all loss at this point. 

registry bullshit.png

program bullshit.png

updates bullshit.png

11 minutes ago, Srijan Verma said:

what happens when you try to install 4.5.2?

i cant. it tells me i have a newer version installed. 

2 minutes ago, Bfuqua said:

i cant. it tells me i have a newer version installed. 

how about uninstalling the newer version and then trying?

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

5 minutes ago, Srijan Verma said:

how about uninstalling the newer version and then trying?

i cant. theres no newer version installed. 

did you even read the post? 

Often when I'm having weird .NET framework issues, the issues are fixed by Windows Update. 

I suggest checking and making sure you have the latest windows updates.

As a general user, you really shouldn't ever need to manually install .NET stuff, since it comes packed in the updates.

1 minute ago, trevb0t said:

Often when I'm having weird .NET framework issues, the issues are fixed by Windows Update. 

I suggest checking and making sure you have the latest windows updates.

again, did you even read the post? 

i clearly said i have all the windows updates. 

2 hours ago, Bfuqua said:

did you even read the post? 

again, did you even read the post? 

note the picture of my registry with it not existing that i posted. 

If you want any further attempts at assistance, I would chill out. Your post is a mess of previous workflow, which you can't expect every reader to follow.

Did you utilize the .NET framework repair tool? 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

Looking at your workflow photos, you'll need to hit the top left button to "turn windows features on/off" while in your Control Panel. You should be able to view the .NET framework features from there.

According to sage.na, here is the process to force a .NET fw update for Windows 10:

"The .NET framework cannot be fully uninstalled from Windows 8 and above, but there is a procedure to force an update.

1. Browse out to Programs and Features in Control Panel
  2. On the left side, click on Turn Windows features on or off
  3. Click the + symbol next to .NET framework 4.6 Advanced Services
  4. Uncheck the ASP .NET 4.6.
  5. Click the OK button.
  6. Close Programs and Features window and restart the machine.
  7. Browse back out to Programs and Features.
  8. On the left side, click on Turn Windows features on or off
  9. Click the + symbol next to .NET framework 4.6 Advanced Services
  10. Check the ASP .NET 4.6. checkbox
  11. Click the OK button.
  12. At this point, Windows will download an update to the .NET framework. It can take a while based on internet speed, and will end with a message that update was either successful or failed. If successful, restart the machine. If it failed, contact local IT personnel for additional help."

18 hours ago, trevb0t said:

If you want any further attempts at assistance, I would chill out. Your post is a mess of previous workflow, which you can't expect every reader to follow.

Did you utilize the .NET framework repair tool? 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

Looking at your workflow photos, you'll need to hit the top left button to "turn windows features on/off" while in your Control Panel. You should be able to view the .NET framework features from there.

According to sage.na, here is the process to force a .NET fw update for Windows 10:

"The .NET framework cannot be fully uninstalled from Windows 8 and above, but there is a procedure to force an update.

1. Browse out to Programs and Features in Control Panel
  2. On the left side, click on Turn Windows features on or off
  3. Click the + symbol next to .NET framework 4.6 Advanced Services
  4. Uncheck the ASP .NET 4.6.
  5. Click the OK button.
  6. Close Programs and Features window and restart the machine.
  7. Browse back out to Programs and Features.
  8. On the left side, click on Turn Windows features on or off
  9. Click the + symbol next to .NET framework 4.6 Advanced Services
  10. Check the ASP .NET 4.6. checkbox
  11. Click the OK button.
  12. At this point, Windows will download an update to the .NET framework. It can take a while based on internet speed, and will end with a message that update was either successful or failed. If successful, restart the machine. If it failed, contact local IT personnel for additional help."

I did all of that. 

The repair tool claims to have fixed it. It didn't. 

And when you go to turn on features, and check the boxes for .net it says it applies the changes, but then when you open the list again, they're not checked anymore. 

I'm telling all of you that I've tried every obvious solution that the internet has to offer. Nothing has worked. 

• 10 months later...

Bfuqua any further informations about this topic? I have the same problem and it is only forum where discussed probem was exactlly the same as mine. 

• 2 years later...

Hi, I am facing the exact same problem. I also have tried out everything. Did any of you finally managed to resolve it?