The Witcher 3 Benchmarks?

BurstHearts

Am i the only one who thinks that The Witcher 3 is a terrible game for benchmarks? It is so random, a lot of times in other games the diference was 20, 30 fps, and when The Witcher 3 test starts it draw or the CPU or GPU in advantage hold just like 2  maybe 10 fps counting spikes in advantage. That if the weaker CPU/GPU doesn't takes the lead in this benchmark.

It's a popular game, so it makes sense to see how certain hardware performs with it. If you're going to buy new hardware and you play Witcher 3, wouldn't you want to know which hardware might be best suited for it?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

I mean it is graphically demanding especially for older systems and like Eigenvektor said it's a popular game that's probably on peoples lists of what they want to do with the computers they're building 

As a benchmark yes, but for testing the GPU in general, no. It's a popular game that a lot of people might want to play. Testing the GPU on Witcher 3 tells people a lot about the performance and what they might expect from the GPU.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

Actually, Witcher 3 is a VERY good GPU Benchmark, especially on higher resolutions.

But as with every Game, it depends on your "benchmark scene".

Do you just stare at a Wall or the Sky?

Skellige Forest is really great to tax GPUs.

Novigrad isn't. Because of all the NPCs, it taxes the CPU quite good.

I judge open world games by CPU lows and Witcher 3 lows were quit high compared to other open world games that came out at that time.

When Witcher 3 came out I used a i7 2600k with a GTX 980. The CPU lows were in the 50s so playing at 1440p and keeping the frame rate in the 50s produced a totally smooth experience. 

By contrast with the same CPU Bethesda open world games since Skyrim had CPU lows in the 30s. So they were never totally smooth until I had a CPU that could keep the lows above the frame rate I played at.  

These games are also load as you go(no load screens) so what the games are stored on makes a big difference in their performance.

Your CPU has a higher IPC than a i7 2600k so staying smooth at 60fps should be easy for it. Your GPU is slightly faster than a GTX 980 so again running at 60 should be smooth.

If you are playing at 1080p at 90fps your CPU lows will drop you to 60 and that is rough.  At 1440p at 60fps the lows don't exist so a better experience.

Witcher 3 is still the smoothest open world game that I have played with Outer Worlds being the second.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV