AMD or Intel?

I’m currently building my first gaming PC and I’m stuck whether to buy an intel i7 or an AMD Ryzen 5. I’m using a tuf b450m-plus motherboard. any recommendations would be appreciated. Cheers

That's an AMD motherboard so an Intel chip won't fit in the socket.

Do you already have that motherboard?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

I have always been a fan of Intel but tbh amd is cheaper and i get great performance out of it. so personally i would go with amd

The board is for AM4 so only AMD CPUs will fit. Frankly, it depends on pricing but a 3600 is the best value CPU these days

5 minutes ago, Slottr said:

That's an AMD motherboard so an Intel chip won't fit in the socket.

Do you already have that motherboard?

No just ordered the motherboard today. Thanks for the info, I’m new to all this lol

Just now, Wee-jordan said:

No just ordered the motherboard today. Thanks for the info, I’m new to all this lol

No problem, there's a lot of information to pick up so I totally get it

Intel and AMD both require their own specific sockets. And as a sub-class to that, they require certain chipsets as well.

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Slottr said:

No problem, there's a lot of information to pick up so I totally get it

Intel and AMD both require their own specific sockets. And as a sub-class to that, they require certain chipsets as well.

Overall though, what processor is the better one? I’ve heard negatives for both but AMD are cheaper and faster I’ve heard.

Just now, Wee-jordan said:

Overall though, what processor is the better one? I’ve heard negatives for both but AMD are cheaper and faster I’ve heard.

Depends on the task. Generally the 9700 *is* faster, but compared to the 3600 and its price there's no reason to buy the 9700

Ryzen 5 competes with i5, not i7. A cheaper CPU will let you spend more for the GPU though which is what matters most, making Ryzen 5 more attractive.

that said I wont buy that board, it's just a low end board (like a B450M-A of the same brand) with a new paint job and some fancy plastic cover on the rear I/O

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

Depends on the task. Generally the 9700 *is* faster, but compared to the 3600 and its price there's no reason to buy the 9700

Ok thanks for the info. I think I’m going to go with the Ryzen 5 3600x, thanks again.

1 minute ago, Wee-jordan said:

Ok thanks for the info. I think I’m going to go with the Ryzen 5 3600x, thanks again.

Dont even worry about getting the x variant, just get the 3600. Unless the price difference is negligible to you.

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Ryzen 5 competes with i5, not i7. A cheaper CPU will let you spend more for the GPU though which is what matters most, making Ryzen 5 more attractive.

that said I wont buy that board, it's just a low end board (like a B450M-A of the same brand) with a new paint job and some fancy plastic cover on the rear I/O

What motherboard in the price region of the b450m-plus would you Recomend?

Just now, jfat said:

Dont even worry about getting the x variant, just get the 3600. Unless the price difference is negligible to you.

It’s an extra £20 where I live so it’s not a big difference.

3 minutes ago, Wee-jordan said:

What motherboard in the price region of the b450m-plus would you Recomend?

Where will you be buying, how much are you paying?

Quote me or mention me at @Shrekpad so I get notified 
pc specs:
CPU: 
Intel i7 8700K MOBO: ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming RAM: 16GB (2x8) DDR4 G Skill TridentZ 3000 MHz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING OC CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv STORAGE: Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 NVME SSD,
T-Force Delta RGB 250GB SSD, 4TB Seagate Barracuda HDD PSU: 750 Watt EVGA SuperNova G3 MONITERDell S2716DGR 1440p 144hz G-Sync, BenQ PD2700U 4K 60hz CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum OS: Windows 10

Just now, Shrekpad said:

Amazon preferably as the UK is on lockdown and all the shops are closed.

3 minutes ago, Shrekpad said:

I’m paying just short of £100 for the b450m-plus

7 minutes ago, Wee-jordan said:

It’s an extra £20 where I live so it’s not a big difference.

yeah thats fair, where I am the difference is like 40 pounds which crosses the line of not being worth it.

Whats the price like on the MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX? that one seems to be recommended a fair bit.
If you need mATX then the MSI B450M MORTAR MAX seems to be up there too.

1 minute ago, jfat said:

yeah thats fair, where I am the difference is like 40 pounds which crosses the line of not being worth it.

Whats the price like on the MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX? that one seems to be recommended a fair bit.

Same price as the b450m-plus

Quote me or mention me at @Shrekpad so I get notified 
pc specs:
CPU: 
Intel i7 8700K MOBO: ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming RAM: 16GB (2x8) DDR4 G Skill TridentZ 3000 MHz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING OC CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv STORAGE: Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 NVME SSD,
T-Force Delta RGB 250GB SSD, 4TB Seagate Barracuda HDD PSU: 750 Watt EVGA SuperNova G3 MONITERDell S2716DGR 1440p 144hz G-Sync, BenQ PD2700U 4K 60hz CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum OS: Windows 10

2 minutes ago, Shrekpad said:

Thanks man, I have ordered the bundle with Ryzen 3600x and msi b450 tomahawk max.

amazon wont let me cancel the other motherboard so looks like I’ll be speaking to machines all day tomorrow lol