Can I use the same Windows 7 key on two windows 10 computers

birdflyer

Just a simple question,

Because you can use a Windows 7 key to activate windows 10, can you do it on multiple windows machines? Or is it just like a Windows 10 key where it will deactivate 1 of the 2 computers?

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

Just now, NZgamer said:

Yes. My PC and Laptop have Windows 10 Pro activated using a Windows 7 Professional key that was on a sticker on the side of an old Dell OptiPlex.

and both are connected to the internet at the same time?

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

Yes, because when you "use" the win 7 key, it generates a new, separate key for win 10 on that machine, thus freeing the win 7 one to be used again.

Just now, birdflyer said:

and both are connected to the internet at the same time?

yes

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yes, because when you "use" the win 7 key, it generates a new, separate key for win 10 on that machine, thus freeing the win 7 one to be used again.

Ya, that's what I figured because of another computer that I installed a key on that ended up having a completely different key when I checked (if that makes any since)  

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

1 minute ago, NZgamer said:

yes

Well, thanks to both of you

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

yes

Wait, so my Windows 7 key is basically an infinite Windows 10 key? That cannot possibly be the case.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Wait, so my Windows 7 key is basically an infinite Windows 10 key? That cannot possibly be the case.

I don't know about infinite, I've heard there's a limit of 10 before, but I can't confirm that.  All I know is I've used my 7 pro retail key on no fewer than 4 total machines, all of which actively in use, and they all work.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I don't know about infinite, I've heard there's a limit of 10 before, but I can't confirm that.  All I know is I've used my 7 pro retail key on no fewer than 4 total machines, all of which actively in use, and they all work.

Really cool I did not know that

Just now, NZgamer said:

For me it only worked twice, there might have been other favtors that I'm not aware of though

I'm sure there are many other factors. Personally, it's always been pretty smooth sailing and working as expected, but there are no shortage of horror stories about the mystery and pain of Windows activation floating around the internet, particularly from longer ago.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

how long ago did you activate the machines? how long in between the activation? just curious 

9 minutes ago, birdflyer said:

how long ago did you activate the machines? how long in between the activation? just curious 

Ranges from days after Win 10 first launched to just June last year

On 4/6/2020 at 3:43 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Ranges from days after Win 10 first launched to just June last year

Oh ok, that could explain how you got it on 7 machines at once. Not saying it doesn't work but that is probably why NZgamer only got it to work on two. 

29 minutes ago, birdflyer said:

Oh ok, that could explain how you got in on 7 machines at once. Not saying it doesn't work but that is probably why NZgamer only got it to work on two. 

4 not 7 :P The first one definitely was expected since it was within the free upgrade period and, well, 1 -> 1 is what was promised.  After that is where it got interesting.  If I recall correctly, my second one was also during the free upgrade period, but of course, was an additional use of the key so already questionable for sure.  After that, I've managed to add 2 more copies both also on that original Win 7 key, and both of which not even within the official free upgrade period, which it seems as though they've chosen to not actually end.

I'm sure different people will have different experiences, but so far what I've experienced is inline with my understanding of how it works.  Basically, there's 3 key components to activating like this:

• The original Win 7 or 8 key must be "retail", not "OEM".  This means it can be used on any (one) computer, not just the specific computer it came with.  Ie, it's "movable".
  • The free upgrade must still be offered.  This is something Microsoft could stop at any time, but as far as I know it's still available.
  • The activation/upgrade must generate a new OEM Win 10 key for the machine the upgrade was done on, rather than using or being tied to the upgraded key in some way.

If any of these were to cease, the system would not work.  Until that happens though, theoretically, as crazy as it seems, you should be able to get "a large number" of Win 10 copies out of an older key.  Whether that's 10 or infinitely many or some other number, I can't say.  I would be curious to know the details surrounding any case where it doesn't work.  With that information we may be able to figure out why that was the outcome.

Edit: reading a little closer, it looks like his came from the side of an OEM system, and thus would have been an OEM key.  This is likely what cut the chain short.  I'm surprised it even worked for 2 actually, anything more than 1 should have been impossible, and that's assuming that the 1 is the original system to which the sticker was stuck. @NZgamer

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

4 not 7 :P The first one definitely was expected since it was within the free upgrade period and, well, 1 -> 1 is what was promised.  After that is where it got interesting.  If I recall correctly, my second one was also during the free upgrade period, but of course, was an additional use of the key so already questionable for sure.  After that, I've managed to add 2 more copies both also on that original Win 7 key, and both of which not even within the official free upgrade period, which it seems as though they've chosen to not actually end.

I'm sure different people will have different experiences, but so far what I've experienced is inline with my understanding of how it works.  Basically, there's 3 key components to activating like this:

• The original Win 7 or 8 key must be "retail", not "OEM".  This means it can be used on any (one) computer, not just the specific computer it came with.  Ie, it's "movable".
  • The free upgrade must still be offered.  This is something Microsoft could stop at any time, but as far as I know it's still available.
  • The activation/upgrade must generate a new OEM Win 10 key for the machine the upgrade was done on, rather than using or being tied to the upgraded key in some way.

If any of these were to cease, the system would not work.  Until that happens though, theoretically, as crazy as it seems, you should be able to get "a large number" of Win 10 copies out of an older key.  Whether that's 10 or infinitely many or some other number, I can't say.  I would be curious to know the details surrounding any case where it doesn't work.  With that information we may be able to figure out why that was the outcome.

Edit: reading a little closer, it looks like his came from the side of an OEM system, and thus would have been an OEM key.  This is likely what cut the chain short.  I'm surprised it even worked for 2 actually, anything more than 1 should have been impossible. @NZgamer

Ya this is all really interesting now that I know this. 

Also sorry I miss read.

This is not a legal way to get keys.

·Ï¢årµ§·

i7 4790k · 32GB Kingston HyperX · MSI Gaming 5 · ... · 30" HP ZR30W + 27" Samsung 275T · 2x240GB Intel 530 in Raid 0 + 2x1TB Crucial MX500 · Lain-Li X2000F · Antec Signature SG-850 · BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 Pro · Logitech Z5500 · Win10pro 64bit

3 hours ago, IcarusLSC said:

Although, Microsoft strongly advises you to buy a windows 10 key; Microsoft actually still has the upgrade tool on there website for anyone to use. However, if you do find a place where it clearly says that this is illegal, I would be glad to know. 

Microsoft's upgrade tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

3 hours ago, IcarusLSC said:

I do understand what you are saying about multiple keys though

7 hours ago, birdflyer said:

Although, Microsoft strongly advises you to buy a windows 10 key; Microsoft actually still has the upgrade tool on there website for anyone to use. However, if you do find a place where it clearly says that this is illegal, I would be glad to know. 

Microsoft's upgrade tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Go to your settings>about page and read the Microsoft Software License Terms under Windows Specifications there:

Spoiler

2.    Installation and Use Rights.
a.    License. The software is licensed, not sold. Under this agreement, we grant you the right to install and run one instance of the software on your device (the licensed device), for use by one person at a time, so long as you comply with all the terms of this agreement. Updating or upgrading from non-genuine software with software from Microsoft or authorized sources does not make your original version or the updated/upgraded version genuine, and in that situation, you do not have a license to use the software.
b.    Device. In this agreement, “device” means a hardware system (whether physical or virtual) with an internal storage device capable of running the software. A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a device.
c.    Restrictions. The device manufacturer or installer and Microsoft reserve all rights (such as rights under intellectual property laws) not expressly granted in this agreement. For example, this license does not give you any right to, and you may not:
(i)    use or virtualize features of the software separately;
(ii)    publish, copy (other than the permitted backup copy), rent, lease, or lend the software;
(iii)    transfer the software (except as permitted by this agreement);
(iv)    work around any technical restrictions or limitations in the software;
(v)    use the software as server software, for commercial hosting, make the software available for simultaneous use by multiple users over a network, install the software on a server and allow users to access it remotely, or install the software on a device for use only by remote users;
(vi)    reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the software, or attempt to do so, except and only to the extent that the foregoing restriction is (a) permitted by applicable law; (b) permitted by licensing terms governing the use of open-source components that may be included with the software; or (c) required to debug changes to any libraries licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License which are included with and linked to by the software; and
(vii)    when using Internet-based features you may not use those features in any way that could interfere with anyone else’s use of them, or to try to gain access to or use any service, data, account, or network, in an unauthorized manner.
d.    Multi use scenarios.
(i)    Multiple versions. If when acquiring the software you were provided with multiple versions (such as 32-bit and 64-bit versions), you may install and activate only one of those versions at a time.
(ii)    Multiple or pooled connections. Hardware or software you use to multiplex or pool connections, or reduce the number of devices or users that access or use the software, does not reduce the number of licenses you need. You may only use such hardware or software if you have a license for each instance of the software you are using.
(iii)    Device connections. You may allow up to 20 other devices to access the software installed on the licensed device for the purpose of using the following software features: file services, print services, Internet information services, and Internet connection sharing and telephony services on the licensed device. You may allow any number of devices to access the software on the licensed device to synchronize data between devices. This section does not mean, however, that you have the right to install the software, or use the primary function of the software (other than the features listed in this section), on any of these other devices.
(iv)    Use in a virtualized environment. This license allows you to install only one instance of the software for use on one device, whether that device is physical or virtual. If you want to use the software on more than one virtual device, you must obtain a separate license for each instance.
(v)    Remote access. No more than once every 90 days, you may designate a single user who physically uses the licensed device as the licensed user. The licensed user may access the licensed device from another device using remote access technologies. Other users, at different times, may access the licensed device from another device using remote access technologies, but only on devices separately licensed to run the same or higher edition of this software.
(vi)    Remote assistance. You may use remote assistance technologies to share an active session without obtaining any additional licenses for the software. Remote assistance allows one user to connect directly to another user’s computer, usually to correct problems.
e.    Backup copy. You may make a single copy of the software for backup purposes, and may also use that backup copy to transfer the software if it was acquired as stand-alone software, as described in Section 4 below.
3.    Privacy; Consent to Use of Data. Your privacy is important to us. Some of the software features send or receive information when using those features. Many of these features can be switched off in the user interface, or you can choose not to use them. By accepting this agreement and using the software you agree that Microsoft may collect, use, and disclose the information as described in the Microsoft Privacy Statement (aka.ms/privacy), and as may be described in the user interface associated with the software features.
4.    Transfer. The provisions of this section do not apply if you acquired the software in Germany or in any of the countries listed on this site (aka.ms/transfer), in which case any transfer of the software to a third party, and the right to use it, must comply with applicable law.
a.    Software preinstalled on device. If you acquired the software preinstalled on a device (and also if you upgraded from software preinstalled on a device), you may transfer the license to use the software directly to another user, only with the licensed device. The transfer must include the software and, if provided with the device, an authentic Windows label including the product key. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software.
b.    Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

·Ï¢årµ§·

i7 4790k · 32GB Kingston HyperX · MSI Gaming 5 · ... · 30" HP ZR30W + 27" Samsung 275T · 2x240GB Intel 530 in Raid 0 + 2x1TB Crucial MX500 · Lain-Li X2000F · Antec Signature SG-850 · BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 Pro · Logitech Z5500 · Win10pro 64bit

10 hours ago, IcarusLSC said:

Go to your settings>about page and read the Microsoft Software License Terms under Windows Specifications there:

Hide contents

2.    Installation and Use Rights.
a.    License. The software is licensed, not sold. Under this agreement, we grant you the right to install and run one instance of the software on your device (the licensed device), for use by one person at a time, so long as you comply with all the terms of this agreement. Updating or upgrading from non-genuine software with software from Microsoft or authorized sources does not make your original version or the updated/upgraded version genuine, and in that situation, you do not have a license to use the software.
b.    Device. In this agreement, “device” means a hardware system (whether physical or virtual) with an internal storage device capable of running the software. A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a device.
c.    Restrictions. The device manufacturer or installer and Microsoft reserve all rights (such as rights under intellectual property laws) not expressly granted in this agreement. For example, this license does not give you any right to, and you may not:
(i)    use or virtualize features of the software separately;
(ii)    publish, copy (other than the permitted backup copy), rent, lease, or lend the software;
(iii)    transfer the software (except as permitted by this agreement);
(iv)    work around any technical restrictions or limitations in the software;
(v)    use the software as server software, for commercial hosting, make the software available for simultaneous use by multiple users over a network, install the software on a server and allow users to access it remotely, or install the software on a device for use only by remote users;
(vi)    reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the software, or attempt to do so, except and only to the extent that the foregoing restriction is (a) permitted by applicable law; (b) permitted by licensing terms governing the use of open-source components that may be included with the software; or (c) required to debug changes to any libraries licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License which are included with and linked to by the software; and
(vii)    when using Internet-based features you may not use those features in any way that could interfere with anyone else’s use of them, or to try to gain access to or use any service, data, account, or network, in an unauthorized manner.
d.    Multi use scenarios.
(i)    Multiple versions. If when acquiring the software you were provided with multiple versions (such as 32-bit and 64-bit versions), you may install and activate only one of those versions at a time.
(ii)    Multiple or pooled connections. Hardware or software you use to multiplex or pool connections, or reduce the number of devices or users that access or use the software, does not reduce the number of licenses you need. You may only use such hardware or software if you have a license for each instance of the software you are using.
(iii)    Device connections. You may allow up to 20 other devices to access the software installed on the licensed device for the purpose of using the following software features: file services, print services, Internet information services, and Internet connection sharing and telephony services on the licensed device. You may allow any number of devices to access the software on the licensed device to synchronize data between devices. This section does not mean, however, that you have the right to install the software, or use the primary function of the software (other than the features listed in this section), on any of these other devices.
(iv)    Use in a virtualized environment. This license allows you to install only one instance of the software for use on one device, whether that device is physical or virtual. If you want to use the software on more than one virtual device, you must obtain a separate license for each instance.
(v)    Remote access. No more than once every 90 days, you may designate a single user who physically uses the licensed device as the licensed user. The licensed user may access the licensed device from another device using remote access technologies. Other users, at different times, may access the licensed device from another device using remote access technologies, but only on devices separately licensed to run the same or higher edition of this software.
(vi)    Remote assistance. You may use remote assistance technologies to share an active session without obtaining any additional licenses for the software. Remote assistance allows one user to connect directly to another user’s computer, usually to correct problems.
e.    Backup copy. You may make a single copy of the software for backup purposes, and may also use that backup copy to transfer the software if it was acquired as stand-alone software, as described in Section 4 below.
3.    Privacy; Consent to Use of Data. Your privacy is important to us. Some of the software features send or receive information when using those features. Many of these features can be switched off in the user interface, or you can choose not to use them. By accepting this agreement and using the software you agree that Microsoft may collect, use, and disclose the information as described in the Microsoft Privacy Statement (aka.ms/privacy), and as may be described in the user interface associated with the software features.
4.    Transfer. The provisions of this section do not apply if you acquired the software in Germany or in any of the countries listed on this site (aka.ms/transfer), in which case any transfer of the software to a third party, and the right to use it, must comply with applicable law.
a.    Software preinstalled on device. If you acquired the software preinstalled on a device (and also if you upgraded from software preinstalled on a device), you may transfer the license to use the software directly to another user, only with the licensed device. The transfer must include the software and, if provided with the device, an authentic Windows label including the product key. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software.
b.    Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

The only place I could find anything related to the subject did not directly state that you are not to use a windows 7 key to activate windows 10. This was the only place I could find anything that could be interrupted in that way: "Updating or upgrading from non-genuine software with software from Microsoft or unauthorized sources does not make your original version or the updated/upgraded version genuine,"   This does not say anything about upgrading from a genuine copy of windows 7 only non-genuine. Also, I would like to ask you, if Microsoft was not wanting people to upgrade, then why is it even possible to use a windows 7 key to activate windows 10? Why would they even think about that even being possible?

You asked about using one key to use on multiple computers (why bother asking if you think you know the answer.) Why not ask on the Microsoft support site, I'm sure would tell you 12 different answers as well? Technically is illegal and the free upgrade ended on July 29, 2016, but like many things in life you can still do it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12435/windows-10-upgrade-faq

On 4/6/2020 at 6:18 PM, birdflyer said:

Just a simple question,

Because you can use a Windows 7 key to activate windows 10, can you do it on multiple windows machines? Or is it just like a Windows 10 key where it will deactivate 1 of the 2 computers?

·Ï¢årµ§·

29 minutes ago, IcarusLSC said:

You asked about using one key to use on multiple computers (why bother asking if you think you know the answer.) Why not ask on the Microsoft support site, I'm sure would tell you 12 different answers as well? Technically is illegal and the free upgrade ended on July 29, 2016, but like many things in life you can still do it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12435/windows-10-upgrade-faq

There's a subtle but important distinction that must be made here - in the event you use an old Win 7 key to generate multiple licenses for Win 10 and use all of those simultaneously, you're not using one key on multiple computers, you're using a different key on each computer, each of which granted officially, legally, etc. by Microsoft themselves.

The original Win 7 key is used on one machine, the upgrade is done which generates a new key for Win 10, leaving the original Win 7 key no longer in use and able to be used on another machine.  This can be repeated so long as Microsoft chooses to allow it, and no further.  For now, they allow it.  At no point is any one key in use on more than one machine at a time.  If Microsoft did not wish for this to be possible, they very easily could have prevented it in one or more of a variety of ways.  The most obvious of these would be to have the key generation algorithm use nothing but the source key as a seed such that any Win 7 key could only generate one unique Win 10 key, and additional attempts to upgrade would thus result in the same key, therefore disallowing use on multiple systems concurrently.

Thats not the way it works but whatever you say mod. I'm done trying to explain.

·Ï¢årµ§·

8 minutes ago, IcarusLSC said:

Thats not the way it works but whatever you say mod. I'm done trying to explain.

I assure you that from a technical perspective, that is how it works, and that's why it works.  As for if my interpretation of the licensing implications is correct or not, I can't be certain, but I see nothing in what you've said or quoted that gives me reason to believe that it is in error.  I'm open to hearing other interpretations but you can leave it as is if you wish.

On 4/9/2020 at 9:21 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

I assure you that from a technical perspective, that is how it works, and that's why it works.  As for if my interpretation of the licensing implications is correct or not, I can't be certain, but I see nothing in what you've said or quoted that gives me reason to believe that it is in error.  I'm open to hearing other interpretations but you can leave it as is if you wish.

Thank you for clarifying .

In my opinion Microsoft is just trying to please their stock holders by making people buy windows 10 licenses. I believe Microsoft actually makes something around %80 of there profit by other means such as ads. I actually have herd talk that Microsoft would actually like to make windows 10 free to the general public, but would of coarse make OEMs still pay.

Just because it works doesn't mean its legal!!!

I can download a program change a few things and claim its mine, or even just download it and say mine? I can do 250kph in my car but is that legal? I can do many things in life but that doesn't mean they are legal.

The very last line of what I posted reads "4.b: You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices." Is that not enough, and that's for stand alone software that is much more lenient in its licensing then oem..

2.a even says one instance of it at a time.

2.c.iv is what you are doing as well (working around technical restrictions or limitations in the software.)

4.a. says even upgraded from software preinstalled (oem) only with licensed device, which means using it on another system is illegal.

Read into the grey as much as you want, its technically not legal.

·Ï¢årµ§·