20 Pin Motherboard Connector in a 24 Pin Mobo?

YellowMenace

Pretty self explanatory but, I'm making a computer with as many spare parts as possible which includes a 20 pin psu out of an old Dell and a 24 pin mobo. What do the extra 4 pins on the 24 pin plug do and is it possible to use the psu with this mobo with a low power gpu (hd 5450)?

CPU: AMD FX 8320e | Mobo: Gigabyte GA‑78LMT‑USB3 | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper n520 | RAM: 8Gb @ 1333MHz

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 mITX | PSU: Antec HCG 520w | Storage: Sandisk 120GB - WD Red 1TB | Case: Modded IBM A50 sleeper

All displayed on an AOC I2421VWH

I think you'll be fine. I've seen many people do that. It's safe.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Pretty self explanatory but, I'm making a computer with as many spare parts as possible which includes a 20 pin psu out of an old Dell and a 24 pin mobo. What do the extra 4 pins on the 24 pin plug do and is it possible to use the psu with this mobo with a low power gpu (hd 5450)?

I believe the extra 4 pins supply power to the PCIe lanes. You would definitely be fine running on on-board graphics, but I'm not sure about the HD 5450. A 20-pin power connector is known to work with low-power GPUs though.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

I believe the extra 4 pins supply power to the PCIe lanes. You would definitely be fine running on on-board graphics, but I'm not sure about the HD 5450. A 20-pin power connector is known to work with low-power GPUs though.

The mobo has built-in graphics so bad, I had literal lag while playing minesweeper. I couldn't stop laughing.

Also from what I've seen, the 5450 uses about 11-15 watts.

CPU: AMD FX 8320e | Mobo: Gigabyte GA‑78LMT‑USB3 | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper n520 | RAM: 8Gb @ 1333MHz

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 mITX | PSU: Antec HCG 520w | Storage: Sandisk 120GB - WD Red 1TB | Case: Modded IBM A50 sleeper

The mobo has built-in graphics so bad, I had literal lag while playing minesweeper. I couldn't stop laughing.

Also from what I've seen, the 5450 uses about 11-15 watts.

Those watts seem low enough. But it still may be risky if the power supply isn't sufficient, as in it needs to provide enough power for the CPU and GPU (without the extra stability from the missing 4-pin). Also, the PSU may have aged components since you're pulling out of an "old Dell". Anyway, there's only one way to find out if it works.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

Those watts seem low enough. But it still may be risky if the power supply isn't sufficient, as in it needs to provide enough power for the CPU and GPU (without the extra stability from the missing 4-pin). Also, the PSU may have aged components since you're pulling out of an "old Dell". Anyway, there's only one way to find out if it works.

It's a 45 Watt cpu (sempron 145), 15ish Watt gpu, 2gb of ddr2 memory, and a flash drive (for now) as the boot drive on a 250 watt psu, so it should be enough.