Why can't you mine with NVidia?

WHY??? Since NVidia makes excellent gaming cards, they should make excellent mining cards that would compete with AMD. Srsly, why does AMD beat them at mining?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

They don't have OpenCL. It's that simple.

Well the 8 series used to have OpenCL. What happened?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Well the 8 series used to have OpenCL. What happened?

They dropped it for Cuda, I guess.

I think I heard of CUDAMiner recently, therfore NVIDIA Cards should have something to do from now on :D

MB: MSI Z77A-GD55 | CPU: Intel i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz | RAM: 8GB Kingston DDR3 @1333MHz | GPU: Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II 

Monitor: 22" Samsung SyncMaster B2230H @60Hz | Audio: Creative Aurvana Live! | PSU: SuperFlower 80+ Gold 550 Watt 

OS: ArchLinux + KDE / Windows 8 Pro 64bit | Smartphone: Nexus 4 16GB - CM11

They dropped it for Cuda, I guess.

Well, according to https://developer.nvidia.com/opencl, they say that OpenCL works with CUDA GPUs.

Actually, 8 series intoduced CUDA.

Also, nvidia can mine with CUDA and not with OpenCL, and have achieved some decent results with cudaminer. The record for a Nvidia card is about 800 kh/s in scrypt (heavily overclocked 780 Ti).  OpenCL also works, but it's not a big part of the Nvidia design, contrary to AMD design, which went the cheaper way of using an open compute platform, instead of making a proprietary one, like Nvidia did. 

FYI, I think that Nvidia beats AMD in scrypt-jane based coin mining. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

The AMD architecture is much better in OpenCL than Nvidia's at the moment, and Mining likes that. A lot. 

Why are you so upset? GPUs were not all created equally get over it. AMD's cards have much better openCL performance like everyone here has said and Nvidia cards perform well in games end of story. What does it matter that AMD's cards outperform Nvidia?

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

They actually can mine, but just not as well as AMD cards

Gaming Rig "Project Primitus" - AMD FX-8320 CPU, Asus M5A97 R2.0 Mobo, G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB RAM @1866 MHz, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Gigabyte Geforce GTX 760 GPU, Fractal Design Define R4 Window, Corsair CX600 PSU

Pics and my reviews for the build here - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/LvN

Peripherals - Corsair Vengeance K70 MX Red, Logitech G402,Kingston HyperX Cloud, 21" TV, Steelseries QcK Heavy Mousepad, Macbook Pro 2012 13"

You can mine PTS effectively with NVIDIA, it doesn't even work with OpenCL.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Maybe,

GeForce GTX 780 Ti, on the other hand, gets neutered in the same way Nvidia handicapped its GTX 780. The card’s driver deliberately operates GK110’s FP64 units at 1/8 of the GPU’s clock rate. When you multiply that by the 3:1 ratio of single- to double-precision CUDA cores, you get a 1/24 rate. The math on that adds up to 5 TFLOPS of single- and 210 GFLOPS of double-precision compute performance.

That’s a compromise, no question. But Nvidia had to do something to preserve Titan’s value and keep GeForce GTX 780 Ti from cannibalizing sales of much more expensive professional-class cards. AMD does something similar with its Hawaii-based cards (though not as severe), limiting DP performance to 1/8 of FP32.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780-ti-review-benchmarks,3663.html

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Don't want Nvidia to be good at mining so we don't see prices rise like AMD. With these crazy prices It's almost like AMD are mining cards and Nvidia are gaming cards.

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

Don't want Nvidia to be good at mining so we don't see prices rise like AMD. With these crazy prices It's almost like AMD are mining cards and Nvidia are gaming cards.

I know. When did the cryptocurrency craze really start? I wish prices were like before the craze. Now prices are insanely high.

I know. When did the cryptocurrency craze really start? I wish prices were like before the craze. Now prices are insanely high.

Who ever posted that benchmark showing how good AMD cards are at mining. At the same time we started to see bitcoin in the national news.

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

This is from the bitcoin wiki.  It is a bit dated but applies to scrypt mining as well.

Firstly, AMD designs GPUs with many simple ALUs/shaders (VLIW design) that run at a relatively low frequency clock (typically 1120-3200 ALUs at 625-900 MHz), whereas Nvidia's microarchitecture consists of fewer more complex ALUs and tries to compensate with a higher shader clock (typically 448-1024 ALUs at 1150-1544 MHz). Because of this VLIW vs. non-VLIW difference, Nvidia uses up more square millimeters of die space per ALU, hence can pack fewer of them per chip, and they hit the frequency wall sooner than AMD which prevents them from increasing the clock high enough to match or surpass AMD's performance. This translates to a raw ALU performance advantage for AMD:

• AMD Radeon HD 6990: 3072 ALUs x 830 MHz = 2550 billion 32-bit instruction per second
  • Nvidia GTX 590: 1024 ALUs x 1214 MHz = 1243 billion 32-bit instruction per second

This approximate 2x-3x performance difference exists across the entire range of AMD and Nvidia GPUs. It is very visible in all ALU-bound GPGPU workloads such as Bitcoin, password bruteforcers, etc.

Secondly, another difference favoring Bitcoin mining on AMD GPUs instead of Nvidia's is that the mining algorithm is based on SHA-256, which makes heavy use of the 32-bit integer right rotate operation. This operation can be implemented as a single hardware instruction on AMD GPUs (BIT_ALIGN_INT), but requires three separate hardware instructions to be emulated on Nvidia GPUs (2 shifts + 1 add). This alone gives AMD another 1.7x performance advantage (~1900 instructions instead of ~3250 to execute the SHA-256 compression function).

Combined together, these 2 factors make AMD GPUs overall 3x-5x faster when mining Bitcoins.

The newer cudaminer has closed the gap a bit, but a $750 780ti has difficulty reaching over 700 khash in scrypt without a bios mod in order to crank the power output to 130% (over 300W).  Whereas 2 x R9 270s for $200 each can easily reach 900 khash combined (260W).

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

Check the comments on this article, pay attention to posts from DiabloD3.  

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/153467-amd-destroys-nvidia-bitcoin-mining

These quotes may seem out of context, it's recommended to read the conversation which took place in the comments.  

DiabloMiner author here. Nvidia keeps claiming they produce a product for GPGPU compute, yet they keep failing on integer performance. Bitcoin is not the only use of integers out there, and its not even limited to crypto research either.

There is zero reason for Nvidia to have made this fundamental mistake generation after generation. This is why I don't support their product, its too slow to be useful and Nvidia doesn't seem to care. I repeatedly tried to reach out to that company, and I never got a response.

Although, now, it is too late for Nvidia to ride the BItcoin train, ASICs are now coming in and making all GPUs (including the highest performance Radeons) obsolete.

Yes, integer instruction rates in Nvidia are horrendous, they seem be as slow or slower than double precision math, but on Radeons I can issue a single cycle integer up every clock cycle on every ALU (VLIW5 has 4 + limited 5th, VLIW4 has 4, GCN has 4 quad width SIMD ALUs plus 4 single width ALUs (and the driver/hardware manages ALU usage across multiple work items to maintain optimal instruction level parallelization).

What also gives Radeons the leg up is they can do certain things SHA256 requires that would normally take 2-3 cycles in a single cycle, such as bitselect takes a single cycle as does rotate, Nvidia seems to be slower at these than simple integer ops (add, xor, etc).

Nvidia needs to focus on code like this: https://github.com/Diablo-D3/D...

If Nvidia was serious about Bitcoin mining, they'd make ZR25, ZR16, ZR26, ZR30, ZMa, and ZCh single cycle instructions, and they'd also make integers as fast as single precision ops instead of as slow as double precision ops. If they did this, they could possibly give current generation ASIC miners a run for their money.

And don't bother making high integer performance a Quadro/Tesla only feature, make it part of consumer Geforces too. The reason people buy consumer Radeons over Quadros/Teslas for double precision math use cases is because consumer Radeons beat Quadros/Teslas at both per watt and per dollar.

tl:dr; Nvidia, stop screwing customers and you'll make more money.

I'm willing to work with Nvidia on this to compete with existing and next generation solutions if they're interested. They just have to email me.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

But, you can. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

I mine with nvidia and litecoins. 600 khash ;) I bought it for gaming not for mining so it is pure profit.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

You can, just comparatively for the same amount of money they suck.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Maxwell is very good at mining

But Maxwell just came out. How can it be very good?