SOLVED

PetruM
Go to solution Solved by PetruM,

Got a Corsair rm550x and the confusion steamed from the images they provide where it looks like only 1 GPU cable is provided I got a 16pin GPU so need 2 cables wasn't sure if the rm550x would support it so just decided to ask then waste time with returns 

My current build has a psu problem and I'm looking to change/upgrade my power supply but I'm worried about comparability as I have a 16 pin Rx 5700 xt GPU and I am not sure if the psu will support it. What psu for 100£ or less in the UK will fit in my build ? 500w +

Why aren't you sure?

What's the PSU model?

Get a corsair CXM550.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Why aren't you sure?

What's the PSU model?

Get a corsair CXM550.

The CXM is a different platform (lower quality) than the CX - OP should look at the TXm Gold

id recommend at least 650W, just for any extra headroom, 650 is a solid start for any gaming rig, unless going with some enthusiast grade then thats when you shoud go higher. Any from seasonic, evga, corsair i would recommend, as long as you have an ATX case, an ATX power supply should work unless you have some weird case. Im not with that currency so cant give any specific recommendations but you should have plenty of headroom to buy a moderate psu, Like an EVGA 650W g3 or something should be fine for you, G2 is basically the same just not as refined but thats still a solid buy, those should be in your price range. Whats your CPU?

Ok thx I had a Vs 550 w that is showing problems and I was looking for a semi or full Modular but the description didn't mention the cables and only showed 1 for the GPU 8 pins only in the image couldn't find any more information 

Build is

Rx 5700 xt

Ryzen 3600

16 crucial ddr4 2400mhz ram

Asus prime a320m-k motherboard

2 SanDisk 480 gb storage 

5 case fans 

Logitech optical drive 

Corsair case few years old

Just now, SethK said:

id recommend at least 650W, just for any extra headroom

for his future 9900k+2080 ti with 100+ watt headroom system? 550w is a perfect fit here

1 minute ago, SethK said:

Any from seasonic, evga, corsair i would recommend

so you would include a 10 year old platform, a couple crappy HEC's and let OP take that over some decent PSUs from the same suppliers, just sold by different companies?

2 minutes ago, SethK said:

G2 is basically the same

the only thing they share is that both are EVGA and both are Superflower. they don't even look the same

EVGA SuperNova G2 1300W review: super-SLI voeding - Hardware Info

EVGA SuperNova G3 650W voeding - Hardware Info

and with that, they're also now EOL since EVGA and Superflower don't work together anymore

with that said, I'd look into these

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/dDH48d/corsair-txm-gold-550w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020133-na

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/bqVD4D/corsair-rmx-2018-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020177-na

but with the current stock this might as well change tomorrow again, keep a close eye on what's availible, and feel free to ask about any unit you find

Got a Corsair rm550x and the confusion steamed from the images they provide where it looks like only 1 GPU cable is provided I got a 16pin GPU so need 2 cables wasn't sure if the rm550x would support it so just decided to ask then waste time with returns 

25 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

for his future 9900k+2080 ti with 100+ watt headroom system? 550w is a perfect fit here

Goddamn so critical over nothing. 550 is good here but i didnt know what the build was. 650 is safe and you dont pay much extra.

25 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

so you would include a 10 year old platform, a couple crappy HEC's and let OP take that over some decent PSUs from the same suppliers, just sold by different companies?

buy any reputable brand PSU was my point.

26 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

the only thing they share is that both are EVGA and both are Superflower. they don't even look the same

The g3 and g2 perform the same more or less. who cares what they look like. the g3 is just the fancier g2. the g3 is shorter as well by a smidge. whoop dee doo.

28 minutes ago, PetruM said:

this might help you

afbeelding.png.5ea66faba3b07bf4ea6b23c8c916a215.png

the rm550x has one cable with 2 connectors

20 minutes ago, SethK said:

who cares what they look like

I do

20 minutes ago, SethK said:

the g3 is just the fancier g2. the g3 is shorter as well by a smidge. whoop dee doo

so b3 is a less fancy b3 by your logic? sigh

11 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

this might help you

I do

So I do need a extra cable hmm ok 

13 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

this might help you

I do

GPU only takes pcie output right ?

So I have a 16 pin GPU and the corsair rm550x only provides 1 pcie 6+2 cable how can I make up for the other 8 pins ? Adaptors or extra wire and where can I find em (UK) 

1 minute ago, PetruM said:

So I have a 16 pin GPU and the corsair rm550x only provides 1 pcie 6+2 cable how can I make up for the other 8 pins ? Adaptors or extra wire and where can I find em (UK)

6 + 2 = 8

So plug in both 6+2 PCIE connectors into the videocard and you're good. (there should be two 6+2 pin PCIE connectors on the cable).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Only provides 1 6+2 cable and 2 connectors on the psu modular 

Just now, PetruM said:

There is a cable that comes in the box of the RM550X that has two 6+2 pin PCIE connectors that plug into the videocard.

image.thumb.png.77f91b5f61d16ed9e29cf142f94c116f.png

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, PetruM said:

the way that you phrased this is very strange. Also, quote people so that we can see your responses.

The cables for the RMX work like so:

One end goes to the PSU

One end has two 6+2 connectors that both go into the graphics card.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

You see the information Corsair provides is fucking shit they don't show the double 6+2 on the end and doesn't mention them this is the first time buying a modular psu so thx for the clarification

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

There is a cable that comes in the box of the RM550X that has two 6+2 pin PCIE connectors that plug into the videocard.

image.thumb.png.77f91b5f61d16ed9e29cf142f94c116f.png

Thx very much I did t know it had 2 connectors :) thought only 1

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

the way that you phrased this is very strange. Also, qupte peoplem so that we can see your responses.

The cables for the RMX work like so:

one end goes to the PSU

One end has two 6+2 connectors that both go into the graphics card.

Thx and I don't rly use forums so sorry Corsair doesn't show clearly how many pins it has 

25 minutes ago, PetruM said:

GPU only takes pcie output right ?

correct, eps is a whole different pinout and the rest doesn't even look pysically the same

5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

correct, eps is a whole different pinout and the rest doesn't even look pysically the same

Never mind I figured it out connector count means 16 pins for pcie thx anyways clarified the lackluster of I formation in the Amazon description