Connected to VPN but can't access NAS

Hi All,

So I set up my NAS with Openmediavault. I have it set up with an SMB shared folder, my VPN set up through OpenVPN-as with a duckdns IP, ports forwarded, everything setup (I had so believed). I am able to connect to my NAS locally on Windows, linux and android, and I am able to connect to the VPN on another network on all 3 but cannot access any of my files or any of my OMV/portainer/OpenVPN control panels. I'm assuming I missed something but I'm new to all of this and don't really know where to start with troubleshooting. Can someone put me in the direction of where to look/start? Also is there anything that I could provide (logs etc.) that would aid any kind souls willing to help?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

You would need to create a static route between the VPN DNS server and your local DNS server. Unfortunately I cannot help with how to do that on Linux.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Make sure the remote location's network ip address range is not the same as your home (VPN/OMV server) locations network. i.e. if both locations use 192.168.0.x address space then remote (over the VPN) access attempts won't work as you'll actually be attempting to connect to systems inside the local network where ever you are.

6 hours ago, Killer2600 said:

Make sure the remote location's network ip address range is not the same as your home (VPN/OMV server) locations network. i.e. if both locations use 192.168.0.x address space then remote (over the VPN) access attempts won't work as you'll actually be attempting to connect to systems inside the local network where ever you are.

No both locations IP's are different.

12 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

You would need to create a static route between the VPN DNS server and your local DNS server. Unfortunately I cannot help with how to do that on Linux.

How would you do this on windows?

In a command prompt (as admin) do

route add "destination ip" mask "destination subnet mask" "gateway ip" -p

for example

route add 172.16.121.0  mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1 -p

The -p makes it persistent so it doesn't get removed when you reboot.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Thanks guys, I found a solution by following this guy's video, linked in case anyone else has this issue. I think I just installed openvpn wrong through portainer.