Looking for some cheapo replacement IEMs

asickduckie

Recently the IEMs I had (which were quite expensive and lauded I might add) broke and I can now only hear in one ear. I've tried fixing them in all sorts of ways to no avail. Usually I end up losing or breaking IEMs for some reason, so I'm sick of this and looking to get sub $30 IEMs. I was thinking of spending an extra $20 to get the monster gratitude, but the color scheme looks too tacky for me. 

I've heard of the Phillips SHE3590 and their great bang for the buck, but I'm wondering if I'm setting my expectations too high for those. 

What I'm mostly looking for is in ears to use while walking around, and sound isolation is one of my top priorities. I don't mind paying a little extra for bi or triple flanges on top of the IEM price to make them more isolating if that's really necessary.

To recapitulate:

-around $30 or less, but if it's REEEEEALLLY worth it, I don't mind spending around $50

-has to be IEMs

-has to be on amazon ebay is fine as well (I heard there are some good no name iems out there on ebay)

-good noise isolation is important

-I got used to some excellent Vsonic, Audio Technica and JVC IEMs, so I'm hoping it's possible to find something that doesn't sound like total dog poo at this price point

Thanks for all the help!

PS: what do you guys think of the JVC FX40? They're also apparently great for the price, but I worry about the supposedly really harsh treble. I'm someone who rather enjoys a lot of treble, but siblance is something that annoys me quite a bit. 

PS2: Microphonics aren't a huge deal to me, it doesn't bother me as much as it bothers most. 

I aint an expert on IEMs, but anything from MEElectronics is a safe bet. I've got a pair with decent isolation, and they're fairly treble friendly without being harsh. I'd send them to ya for the cost of shipping if you want.

I aint an expert on IEMs, but anything from MEElectronics is a safe bet. I've got a pair with decent isolation, and they're fairly treble friendly without being harsh. I'd send them to ya for the cost of shipping if you want.

I got some Meelec M6 IEMs and I'm not too impressed :S the treble is extremely harsh on them. Are the M31 you linked supposed to be better?

I got some Meelec M6 IEMs and I'm not too impressed :S the treble is extremely harsh on them. Are the M31 you linked supposed to be better?

I've got the M6 too, time to do some comparative listening .....

This is probably going to sound whack to everyone, but my favorite pair of ear buds would still have to be the Skullcandy Ink'd Buds. For $15 CAD (reg $30, they were on sale) I haven't been more pleased with the sound quality, including enough rich bass and twangy treble without drowning out the mid-tones, although the build quality could be better. (or maybe I shouldn't treat them like crap)

Sound is subjective though, as I found out after getting a pair of JVC Xtreme Xplosive buds, which really rocked the bass but had like zero mid-tones. After that I acquired a generic set of Samsung Galaxy Tab buds with the inline controls/microphone which are OK. They're my daily driver when I'm listening to music out and about as they seem to make up for sound quality in durability.

Doesn't IEM stand for In-Ear-Monitor? Much higher quality/price ratio, with some of the Logitech UE and Shure models selling for upwards of $500 USD.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

It seems I've actually got the S6P. It doesn't have harsh treble, and is ever so slightly v-curved in frequency response. Kinda out of your budget tho.

I've also got these particular House of Marley IEMs that I used for over a year before I got into hi-fi. They are pretty bass heavy, some people would say muddy, so they shouldn't have too much treble for you. Gave them enough of a beating at work, and they still work perfectly. Actually after putting them in again I'm considering starting to carry them around with me again. The M31 seem to have a more V-shaped frequency response, so not really for me, but the treble isn't overbearing and harsh. 

This is probably going to sound whack to everyone, but my favorite pair of ear buds would still have to be the Skullcandy Ink'd Buds.

Not at all. I frown at anything Skullcandy over $50, but under that they're just as acceptable as every other OEM rebrand.

Doesn't IEM stand for In-Ear-Monitor? Much higher quality/price ratio, with some of the Logitech UE and Shure models selling for upwards of $500 USD.

Price point doesn't matter.

post-2468-0-64553900-1392714540.jpg

This is probably going to sound whack to everyone, but my favorite pair of ear buds would still have to be the Skullcandy Ink'd Buds. For $15 CAD (reg $30, they were on sale) I haven't been more pleased with the sound quality, including enough rich bass and twangy treble without drowning out the mid-tones, although the build quality could be better. (or maybe I shouldn't treat them like crap)

twangy? O.o 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Well I have the Vsonic GR02 balanced version and they are pretty good at the price point

It seems I've actually got the S6P. It doesn't have harsh treble, and is ever so slightly v-curved in frequency response. Kinda out of your budget tho.

I've also got these particular House of Marley IEMs that I used for over a year before I got into hi-fi. They are pretty bass heavy, some people would say muddy, so they shouldn't have too much treble for you. Gave them enough of a beating at work, and they still work perfectly. Actually after putting them in again I'm considering starting to carry them around with me again. The M31 seem to have a more V-shaped frequency response, so not really for me, but the treble isn't overbearing and harsh. 

Not at all. I frown at anything Skullcandy over $50, but under that they're just as acceptable as every other OEM rebrand.

Thanks for comparing them for me anyway! I think I'll end up settling for some smartphone bundled IEMs. No scratch that, I got used to some pretty decent stuff so I think I'm going to go and pick myself up some RE400 or something lol. It's too bad if I lose them or break them.

Otherwise I've heard the samsung ones aren't so bad once you get good eartips, and the sony MH1C (bundled with some sony xperia phones) are absolutely amazing for the price (apart from a crappy cable) from all the commotion it caused on head-fi. 

And as for your third point, Actually skullcandy has really gotten their stuff together recently from what I heard. If my memory serves me right, the innerfidelity website heavily recommended one of their recent high end headphones.

Well I have the Vsonic GR02 balanced version and they are pretty good at the price point

forgot about them! I'll definitely consider those. 

And as for your third point, Actually skullcandy has really gotten their stuff together recently from what I heard. If my memory serves me right, the innerfidelity website heavily recommended one of their recent high end headphones.

Yes, I heard those rumors too, so I purchased an Aviator. Link to the review in my signature, but it was not favorable. I'm all for dispelling myths at the expense of my own wallet, and wouldn't be surprised if Tyll's wallet had some extra money in it after posting said review. If I can buy a $15 NXG NX-HTDJ, which sounds great, is comfortable, and sturdy enough considering the low price, why would anyone consider a rebranded OEM with terrible build quality and marginally "decent for the price" sound? 

Yes, I heard those rumors too, so I purchased an Aviator. Link to the review in my signature, but it was not favorable. I'm all for dispelling myths at the expense of my own wallet, and wouldn't be surprised if Tyll's wallet had some extra money in it after posting said review. If I can buy a $15 NXG NX-HTDJ, which sounds great, is comfortable, and sturdy enough considering the low price, why would anyone consider a rebranded OEM with terrible build quality and marginally "decent for the price" sound? 

yeah, I always knew that Skullcandy never designed headphones themselves and just rebranded, besides, Tyll has some weird tastes for headphoes lol. Is your review for the NXG headphones up yet? I've been waiting for it. Also, I'm wondering if you ever heard the HTF600 by Panasonic (also very budget conscious headphones):

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-HTF600-S-Stereo-Over-ear-Headphones/dp/B004MMEI8W/

These are often a budget favorite among head-fiers, but I'm not sure if they still are one of the best at their price. 

I should definitely get into no-name brands more, like those NXG headphones you mentioned. Even their website looks like it was created in google blogger lol. 

yeah, I always knew that Skullcandy never designed headphones themselves and just rebranded, besides, Tyll has some weird tastes for headphoes lol. Is your review for the NXG headphones up yet? I've been waiting for it. Also, I'm wondering if you ever heard the HTF600 by Panasonic (also very budget conscious headphones):

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-HTF600-S-Stereo-Over-ear-Headphones/dp/B004MMEI8W/

These are often a budget favorite among head-fiers, but I'm not sure if they still are one of the best at their price. 

I should definitely get into no-name brands more, like those NXG headphones you mentioned. Even their website looks like it was created in google blogger lol. 

I'm not going to write a review. They're just a rebranded Monoprice 108323, from what the internet tells me, and there should be plenty of reviews on it.

I don't plan on trying popular cheap headphones, as there's no need for me to review something that already has plenty of reviews. I only tried the NXG's because $15 is chump change, and I was interested to see how comfortable the velour pads were. 

Price point doesn't matter.

attachicon.gifEarbuds_vs_In-Ears.jpg

Valid point there with the comparison picture. Ear Buds sit on the earlobe, whilst In-Ear's actually go inside your ear. I guess I was just pointing out that usually I think of In-Ear-Monitor Buds when I read IEM. Depending on what you're after in terms of price/quality, both references are OK.

twangy? O.o 

Yes, twangy. Like the twang of a harpsie cord.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)