UE4 Extremely High Memory Usage

FaTaLMercenery

I'm currently making a tower defense game and I am attempting to currently create a grid system. I am using blueprints to make the game. When I am working on the project and viewing the level, my RAM usage soars with the highest being around 20GB in 8 minutes. I was doing nothing when this happened, I was simply tabbed into the UE4 level view. If I tab out it stops. If I view a blueprint, it stops. If I "play" the game, it increases slightly and then seems top even out. Could this be caused by part of my blueprints or is this something with the editor?

You're probably telling the engine to load everything in the level in your memory. Depending on the specifics there may be more efficient ways of doing it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Profiler is your friend in this scenario. I haven't used UE4 much but there should be one built into it somewhere that can tell you what each system is allocating for memory. As well as how many calls are being made to the allocater. You may have a memory leak somewhere in the program. 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

UE4 uses a lot of resources.

Using assets can cause even more resource usage.

it used to lag on my okay gaming laptop with an empty project.