mid-budget Ryzen? - 'cheapo' motherboard

Hi there, I'm building a ~€1000 PC and have chosen these components so far:

- 550w corsair PSU 80 broze

- 16GB 3200mhz ram

- 500GB WD blue SSD

- rx5700xt

- MSI B450 Tomahawk

- case and HDD I already have

I am torn apart between a Ryzen 5 3600 and a 2700x. They cost the exact same in my country (Amazon, €190) and saw that the 2700X has a, even if slight, advantage in some computing tasks. I am gonna use this system for gaming but mostly productivity (3D cad work and coding). Can see the benefits of a newer generation but the 8 core leave me a bit indecise on longevity. Being able to get 3+ years out of a processor would be great, just don't know which one would serve me better. I'm gonna use Linux if it's of any help.

What do you think?

TL;DR 

3600 or 2700X on a  €1000 build for Linux - productivity/light gaming?

For productivity first - 2700X. Comes with a Wraith Prism and excellent performance. For gaming first - 3600

32 minutes ago, TheShadowShrek said:

Hi there, I'm building a ~€1000 PC and have chosen these components so far:

- 550w corsair PSU 80 broze

- 16GB 3200mhz ram

- 500GB WD blue SSD

- rx5700xt

- MSI B450 Tomahawk

- case and HDD I already have

I am torn apart between a Ryzen 5 3600 and a 2700x. They cost the exact same in my country (Amazon, €190) and saw that the 2700X has a, even if slight, advantage in some computing tasks. I am gonna use this system for gaming but mostly productivity (3D cad work and coding). Can see the benefits of a newer generation but the 8 core leave me a bit indecise on longevity. Being able to get 3+ years out of a processor would be great, just don't know which one would serve me better. I'm gonna use Linux if it's of any help.

What do you think?

TL;DR 

3600 or 2700X on a  €1000 build for Linux - productivity/light gaming?

I would recommend the Ryzen 7 2700x over the Ryzen 5 3600, the extra 2 cores on the Ryzen 2700x are likely going to be of more performance value than the slightly newer architecture of the Ryzen 5 3600. What CPU cooler are you planning to use, it may be worth getting a cooler better than the stock one for lower temperature operation which should give you better longevity? 

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

You could save some money on the motherboard, tomohawk is great but a bit overpriced because everyone praises it so much for overclocking, which you probably won't do so much .

Cheaper alternatives but still very good that I can recommend, with amazon uk links and prices in GBP ( 1 GBP = ~ 1.1 EURO) :

83 GBP MSI B450-A Pro MAX : https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-B450-PRO-MAX-Motherboard/dp/B07W837QSF/

90 GBP MSI B450M Mortar MAX : https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-B450M-MORTAR-MAX-Motherboard/dp/B07WC6LLB6/

This one is actually better than Tomohawk when it comes to features... more usb 3.1 gen 1 and gen2 on the io shield, type c, you have displayport and hdmi on the back while tomohawk uses ioshield real estate with an outdated dvi connector, it also has optical out and 7.1 analogue outputs...  and it's just as good vrm wise (overclocking). Plus, being matx you can squeeze it in cheaper mid-tower / matx only cases. 

Asrock B450M Steel Legend or Asrock B450 Steel Legend are also decent choices, a bit weaker VRM but still perfectly fine for 8-12 core processors but the MSI boards above are a bit better.

83 GBP Asrock B450M Steel Legend : https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASROCK-B450M-STEEL-LEGEND-SPDIF/dp/B07MV9BMNY/

I'd encourage you to spend a few euro more to get a nvme based SSD, on the m.2 connectors. If you get motherboards with m.2 connectors, why not use them?

Some suggestions :

67 GBP : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-SN550-500GB-High-Performance-Pcie/dp/B07YFF3JCN/

(it's SN500 but with pci-e x4 instead of x2 which makes it a bit faster and 96 layer tlc compared to older 64 layer tlc ... something which doesn't matter or affect performance)