Thermal Compound for VRAM instead of Thermal Pad

Valaries

The title is pretty much self explainatory, is it better to use Thermal Paste over a Thermal Pads for VRAM usage? and what is the pros and cons about it, since i cant find the answear on google, what are your thoughts?

image.jpeg

I could be wrong but I think pads would hold the heat sink better, especially if the motherboard will be positioned vertically. 

2 minutes ago, The_russian said:

I could be wrong but I think pads would hold the heat sink better, especially if the motherboard will be positioned vertically. 

i would go thermal pads but if he feels like something else what about thermal adhesive?

Just now, The_russian said:

Thanks for replying

i was talking about VRAM on a GPU cause VRAM only exist on a GPU, and i dont have a PCIe riser so my GPU will remain Horizontal on my motherboard

Just now, bronsonj said:

i would go thermal pads but if he feels like something else what about thermal adhesive?

So actually ive tried and did experiment about this last night thats why i came up to this idea to ask other person perspective of the pros and cons about it

yes the heat has decrease gradually from 60 - 68 to 50 - 60 not mpre than 60 under 100% load, but i dont think this is a good idea so ask everyone that what could go wrong by doing this

6 minutes ago, Valaries said:

Thanks for replying

i was talking about VRAM on a GPU cause VRAM only exist on a GPU, and i dont have a PCIe riser so my GPU will remain Horizontal on my motherboard

My bad, for some reason I read VRAM as VRM. How are you measuring the temperature of the VRAM?

My bad, for some reason I read VRAM as VRM. How are you measuring the temperature of the VRAM?

Monitoring it using MSI afterburner while gaming, and i dont know if that really counts the VRAm or not but i believe it measure the whole component of the GPU, i maybe wrong but it affects the heat before i use Thermal Pastes so i think it also measures it.

4 minutes ago, Valaries said:

Monitoring it using MSI afterburner while gaming, and i dont know if that really counts the VRAm or not but i believe it measure the whole component of the GPU, i maybe wrong but it affects the heat before i use Thermal Pastes so i think it also measures it.

As far as I know MSI Afterburner doesn’t measure vram temperature, so the drop in temperature was probably due to repasting or just remounting. I think the problem with using paste would be improper contact between the chips and the heat sink, but I’m not really sure how you would check the temps of the vram to make sure there is good contact. Personally I would just stick with the thermal pads.

As far as I know MSI Afterburner doesn’t measure vram temperature, so the drop in temperature was probably due to repasting or just remounting. I think the problem with using paste would be improper contact between the chips and the heat sink, but I’m not really sure how you would check the temps of the vram to make sure there is good contact. Personally I would just stick with the thermal pads.

i see, im using an dirty cheap thermal paste at the moment, Deepcool Z5

and when i saw the result of my temprature after i replace my thermal pads with thermal pads i ordered a Noctua NT H1 and can only hope that really decrease the heat

i also bought a thermal pads just incase theres something i dont want to happen, but the thermal pads i ordered doesnt have any manufacturer and blue coloured, it say has approximately 1,5W/mK which is far from thermal pastes thats why i kinda doubt the thermal pads.

I’ve never had a card with the heat sink close enough to use thermal paste. Which is why a pad is always used. Most aren’t even capable of doing so given the design. That being said I’d never do it simply for the poor thermal properties of the paste, won’t come close to a pad. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz