Nvidia Vs. Zotac

mahuron123
Go to solution Solved by minibois,
22 minutes ago, mahuron123 said:

I haven't noticed the sound at all. I'm currently using the computer and I'm not really noticing anything. I was just looking at it the insides, noticed that and got curious about it.

TL;DR: not all graphics chips are created equal. OEMs like Zotac, ASUS, etc. in the past were allowed to check which chips they got from Nvidia performed the best and set those aside, to use in their high-end cards. They are not allowed to do that anymore, which means all videocards in the 2070 Super range have the same chance of being good/bad/inbetween. There is still a difference in how good a cooler is though.

The same said in a longer way:

Nowadays there is no 'binning' on GPU's, so there is no guaranteed difference in the clockspeeds and thus performance of cards.

For a bit of context, on what that means; when Nvidia makes a GPU (the actual graphics processor, not the whole videocard), all in the same generation (like RTX 2060, 2070, etc.) are made equal. It's just that some chips perform better than others. The chips that perform the best, become 2080 cards, those which perform the worst have some cores turned off and get turned in 2060 chips, etc.

In that way, there is also some variance between the 2070 Super cards. Not all will perform the same.

In the past a companies (OEMs) like Zotac, EVGA, ASUS, etc. had a couple tiers of videocards. Like lower end (slower) cards and faster cards. They did this by tested these chips and making the best performing 2070 Super chips into their high-end 2070 Supers and the less good performing ones, become the cheaper 2070 Supers.

Both what Nvidia are doing and what the OEMs are doing, is called 'binning'. Taking the best chips and advertising them (Nvidia by calling it a 2070, 2080, etc., OEMs by slapping a better or worse cooler on it).

But Nvidia is nowadays not allowing OEMs to bin their GPU's, meaning every 2070 Super videocard from ASUS, Zotac, etc. has the same chance of being really good and really bad.

I'm still really new to this whole thing and I'm trying to understand more. What is the difference between an Nvidia geforce rtx 2070 super vs. Zotac geforce rtx 2070 super. I thought when I was buying my graphics card I was getting the first option, but mine says "Zotac Gaming" in a couple different places and this confuses me. Is there really any difference in how well it performs, what are the real differences, ect... I'm just really confused at this point and would like some good info.

there is no difference in performance. the chipset is the same as the nvidia card. the only difference is how the manufacturer designs the card/cooler. aesthetics is really the only thing that differs between them (and some may factory overclock, which boosts performance.)

7 minutes ago, johanlovesltt said:

there is no difference in performance. the chipset is the same as the nvidia card. the only difference is how the manufacturer designs the card/cooler. aesthetics is really the only thing that differs between them (and some may factory overclock, which boosts performance.)

So basically, at the end of the day, I got what I wanted to get and it will perform exactly the same?

13 minutes ago, mahuron123 said:

I'm still really new to this whole thing and I'm trying to understand more. What is the difference between an Nvidia geforce rtx 2070 super vs. Zotac geforce rtx 2070 super. I thought when I was buying my graphics card I was getting the first option, but mine says "Zotac Gaming" in a couple different places and this confuses me. Is there really any difference in how well it performs, what are the real differences, ect... I'm just really confused at this point and would like some good info.

The difference is the cooler. The clockspeeds can differ a little bit because of that, but that is not really a large difference.

You could check some reviews to see how well this Zotac card performs (in terms of acoustics too)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 minutes ago, mahuron123 said:

So basically, at the end of the day, I got what I wanted to get and it will perform exactly the same?

yeah. it doesn't matter in terms of performance.

7 minutes ago, minibois said:

The difference is the cooler. The clockspeeds can differ a little bit because of that, but that is not really a large difference.

You could check some reviews to see how well this Zotac card performs (in terms of acoustics too)

I haven't noticed the sound at all. I'm currently using the computer and I'm not really hearing anything. I was just looking at it the insides, noticed that and got curious about it.

22 minutes ago, mahuron123 said:

I haven't noticed the sound at all. I'm currently using the computer and I'm not really noticing anything. I was just looking at it the insides, noticed that and got curious about it.

TL;DR: not all graphics chips are created equal. OEMs like Zotac, ASUS, etc. in the past were allowed to check which chips they got from Nvidia performed the best and set those aside, to use in their high-end cards. They are not allowed to do that anymore, which means all videocards in the 2070 Super range have the same chance of being good/bad/inbetween. There is still a difference in how good a cooler is though.

Nowadays there is no 'binning' on GPU's, so there is no guaranteed difference in the clockspeeds and thus performance of cards.

For a bit of context, on what that means; when Nvidia makes a GPU (the actual graphics processor, not the whole videocard), all in the same generation (like RTX 2060, 2070, etc.) are made equal. It's just that some chips perform better than others. The chips that perform the best, become 2080 cards, those which perform the worst have some cores turned off and get turned in 2060 chips, etc.

In that way, there is also some variance between the 2070 Super cards. Not all will perform the same.

In the past a companies (OEMs) like Zotac, EVGA, ASUS, etc. had a couple tiers of videocards. Like lower end (slower) cards and faster cards. They did this by tested these chips and making the best performing 2070 Super chips into their high-end 2070 Supers and the less good performing ones, become the cheaper 2070 Supers.

Both what Nvidia are doing and what the OEMs are doing, is called 'binning'. Taking the best chips and advertising them (Nvidia by calling it a 2070, 2080, etc., OEMs by slapping a better or worse cooler on it).

But Nvidia is nowadays not allowing OEMs to bin their GPU's, meaning every 2070 Super videocard from ASUS, Zotac, etc. has the same chance of being really good and really bad.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

8 minutes ago, minibois said:

TL;DR: not all graphics chips are created equal. OEMs like Zotac, ASUS, etc. in the past were allowed to check which chips they got from Nvidia performed the best and set those aside, to use in their high-end cards. They are not allowed to do that anymore, which means all videocards in the 2070 Super range have the same chance of being good/bad/inbetween.

Great info! I appreciate you taking the time to explain all of that!

2 minutes ago, mahuron123 said:

Great info! I appreciate you taking the time to explain all of that!

Oh, I should add that the most distinguishing factor a videocard nowadays, would be the cooling. So all cards have the same chance of being good/bad/etc., but there are also cards with good cooling/bad cooling/etc.

Cards with good cooling, have a higher chance of being good, as cooler GPU = faster GPU.
So that was why I mentioned checking reviews for acoustics in my first post, that is one of the factors to consider.