hp envy 13 vs matebook 13 vs macbook air

hi,

I'm looking for a ultrabook to work/study etc.  70/30 inside/outside work  in  my country i found three laptops for a good price:

MateBook 13 QHD IPS  Intel Core i5-8265U 8GB 512GB-SSD PCIe price 872 USD
HP Envy 13 (9HE08EA) 13.3" FHD IPS/i7/8GB/512GB_SSD/Iris Plus G7/USB3/USB-C/BT/Windows 10 price 1060 USD
and macbook air 2020 price 1222 USD

1.1GHz quad-core 10th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
8GB 3733MHz LPDDR4X memory
256GB SSD storage
Intel Iris Plus Graphics

unfortunately i can't get a newest version of matebook 13 (2020) so i worried about  old technology there  and i want buy something for at least 3 years can you help me out? 

None of those. I'd you want something that will last and be durable, look at business class. Lenovo ThinkPad, Dell latitude, HP Elite book. Business laptops are built to much higher standards, are water resistant, dust resistant, sand resistant, shock resistant and have fail safes to protect your laptop. I'd you want something that will last more than two years, look at business class.

For your budget, the ThonkPad E490 is perfect if you ask me

about dell latitude and E490/E945 for sure no. HP elite book it alomust doesnt exist on my country market. Could you explain why envy 13 is not a business class because i was reading a few review and some of them was saying like it is a nice office  laptop?

Because the Envy is a Consumer model.

HP Business starts at ProBook series, and this series is the cheapest i would consider from HP.
Especially if you can spend 1200 Dollar, a cheap Consumer Notebook is not even a competition.

You can get a higher quality ProBook for less, or a much higher quality Elitebook for that Price.

Or even a Thinkpad T495/490, maybe even some cheaper Thinkpad X Carbon deals.

Thinkpad E490 is a solid choice for doing work.

A little higher quality will be the T-series, which costs alot more. T495 for example, which i would prefer over the T490, since better chance for a good Display.

Don't mind the 8th Gen Processor, it's not noticeably slower than the 10th series. There are more important things on a Laptop.

Macbook Air: Well, take this if you prefer MacOS?

Display, Touchpad, Speakers will be on a whole different level than almost everything else you can find at that Price.

And the 16:10 aspect ratio is SO much better for Working than 16:9.

So it depends what exactly you want to do, and which aspects are most important.

20 hours ago, smokowiec1203 said:

about dell latitude and E490/E945 for sure no. HP elite book it alomust doesnt exist on my country market. Could you explain why envy 13 is not a business class because i was reading a few review and some of them was saying like it is a nice office  laptop?

It's a mid range consumer model with no durability or reliability enhancements. Even the lower end HP ProBooks and Dell Vostros are better quality than the Envy.

Put it like this. Do you want a delicate laptop that you have to baby and protect from everything so it doesn't break? MacBook or Envy. Rossmann on YouTube has many videos explaining why laptops like that break even if just in a humid room with no real liquid spill. They are fragile and tend to break after two years.

Do you want a laptop made to take heavy absue, to akr drops, spills, shocks and sand storms without dying? Grab a ThinkPad, Latitude or EliteBook. Simple as that. I'd you want reliability first, you go business class. If you want looks and fragile design, you go consumer class and buy an IdeaPad/Inspiron/Envy

23 hours ago, smokowiec1203 said:

hi,

I'm looking for a ultrabook to work/study etc.  70/30 inside/outside work  in  my country i found three laptops for a good price:

HP Envy 13 (9HE08EA) 13.3" FHD IPS/i7/8GB/512GB_SSD/Iris Plus G7/USB3/USB-C/BT/Windows 10 price 1060 USD
and macbook air 2020 price 1222 USD

1.1GHz quad-core 10th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
8GB 3733MHz LPDDR4X memory
256GB SSD storage
Intel Iris Plus Graphics

unfortunately i can't get a newest version of matebook 13 (2020) so i worried about  old technology there  and i want buy something for at least 3 years can you help me out? 

What work and study you going for? Will say at universities 75% of the laptops are MacBooks and there’s a reason for that. 

BTW business class generally means cheap, plastic, bulky, random ports that you only really need for things like old Projectors (VGA). Run Windows and are essentially laptops a businesses will buy in bulk and just not update for 10 years. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

Eeerrm, what? MacBooks are present in USA universities because of the large coats of admission that mostly wealthy parents afford. Smaller colleges are full of Windows PCs. And I don't see how that's an argument for anything.  Did the numerous amounts of issues from overvoltage, burned CPUs, broken keyboards, torn flex cables and dead T2 chips not teach you a lesson about MacBook reliability?

Also business laptops are made from magnesium alloys and steel. There is a soft rubber coating usually and a plastic outer shell to make cleaning easier. They are FAR more durable since they are DESIGNED to withstand 5 meter drops. Try dropping a MacBook or Envy and see what happens.

Also bulky? What? The size difference between a MaxBook and a T490s is less than 5mm. That is not bulky considering its the same size as a MacBook Pro in thickness and width/length. Not to mention the extra security features, V Pro and etc you can really only get on business class.

Please, if you have no idea about laptops, don't spread misinformation and deceive people into buying the 2020 air when you KNOW it has severe issues with the T2 chip, overheating CpU an d unreliable TB3 controllers that tend to combust

ok,thanks a lot now i understand. and what difference are between t490s and x1 carbon? Also how good is display in thinkpad x1 carbon and t490s( in term of working outside in sunny day cover under sun umbrella ? also if i can get better deal on t495s instead t490s it is worth it?

10 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

BTW business class generally means cheap, plastic, bulky, random ports that you only really need for things like old Projectors (VGA). Run Windows and are essentially laptops a businesses will buy in bulk and just not update for 10 years. 

It's in fact exactly the opposite.

Business Class means they have a high Build quality, are sturdy, use either very high quality robust plastic or even metal, have all the Ports you need for Business level Work, can be upgraded in most cases, easy repairable, and offer an extendet warranty/service from the Manufacturer. For example, next day in-house repair for 3 years, even expandable further for a fair amount of Money.

What do you think even 5+ year old THinkpad T430-450(s) models are still popular Buys? Because they are kinda unbreakable, they run like forever

All things, even Apple does not provide, except the high quality Unibody.

"generelly means cheap plastik" fits the consumer models.

4 minutes ago, smokowiec1203 said:

ok,thanks a lot now i understand. and what difference are between t490s and x1 carbon? Also how good is display in thinkpad x1 carbon and t490s( in term of working outside in sunny day cover under sun umbrella ? also if i can get better deal on t495s instead t490s it is worth it?

X series is a step above the T series.

X1 Carbon is even more light and portable. As the 14" Version it weights only 1,09 kg. Just as a comparison: The Macbook Air is 1.29 kg heavy.

How good the Display is, you can check out Notebookcheck.com, they measure the Displays and you can e ven add models into their sheet.

But from the T-series, Lenovo includes 400 nits Displays, even in their 1080p Models.

T495s = AMD Ryzen

T490s = Intel

So if there's a better deal, go for it.

I know for a Fact, on the T490 and T495:

The T490 base 1080p Model has 4 diifferent Panels. 2 are Trash, 2 are Fine.

The T495 base 1080p Model has only the 2 fine Panels, so you're most likely to get a better Display.

Oh yea, the "s" model is slightly thinner/lighter, but it does not feature upgradeable Ram.

The non-s Models feature upgradeable Ram (8gb soldered in, 1 Slot free) 

On 3/25/2020 at 11:47 AM, 5x5 said:

None of those. I'd you want something that will last and be durable, look at business class. Lenovo ThinkPad, Dell latitude, HP Elite book. Business laptops are built to much higher standards, are water resistant, dust resistant, sand resistant, shock resistant and have fail safes to protect your laptop. I'd you want something that will last more than two years, look at business class.

what are you even talking about? a business laptop isn't by definition resistant to anything. 

also you don't have to have a business laptop to have it last more than two years. my 2012 MacBook Pro is 8 years old and still works just fine. same with my 2017 MacBook Pro which is 3 years old. 

She/Her

ok so i will go with macbook air or thinkpad x1 carbon. To be honest macbook  look better option on paper(better specs ,cheaper,beter touchpad,nicer to usage) about x1 carbon is more expensive about 400usd with similar spec but with 8gen intel and slower ram. Can someone can put prop and cons of this two ?

1 hour ago, smokowiec1203 said:

ok so i will go with macbook air or thinkpad x1 carbon. To be honest macbook  look better option on paper(better specs ,cheaper,beter touchpad,nicer to usage) about x1 carbon is more expensive about 400usd with similar spec but with 8gen intel and slower ram. Can someone can put prop and cons of this two ?

What programs do you want to use? Bootcamp is great but a hassle if you need windows exclusive programs. 

If you’re mainly browsing, doing office work, researching stuff etc then MacOS will shine. Plus you don’t have to download office as MacOS has its own word processer, presentation maker and spreadsheet program. 

MacBook likely has the better screen too, haven’t looked at the specs. 

I would however invest in a decent dongle. Something like this has most ports you’d need. 

Anker [Upgraded] USB C Hub... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZVKTP53?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

1 hour ago, smokowiec1203 said:

The MacBook air overheats. If running the CPU at 100C is fine with, suit yourself. But the X1 is superior in every way - build quality, durability, electrical design, keyboard, touchscreen, cooling, performance (the i5/i7 in the air can only run at 1.5Ghz due to the extreme heat while the X1 easily hits 2.2-2.8Ghz).

about macbook air  what you thinks about liquid metal paste as a solution for overhetas? it's much more in my type and price is much lower but i want to make sure that i made a right decision for me 

Well, let me ask first: What exactly are you doing with the Notebook? Maybe with that answer we could give a better direction :P

I would be very careful with liquid Metal in Notebooks. Unless you did this many times.
Heat dissipation could become better from the CPU IHS over to the Heatspreader.
But the Macbook Air fan is NOT directly connected to the Heatsink. It pretty much blows Air into a kind of Strip, that distributes the Air into the Case.

I think, liquid Metal would just allow the CPU to boost a few seconds longer, untill it reaches 100°C and throttles down (to like 1,5 Ghz on the Quad Core)

However "overheating", aka CPU hits 100°C only occurs during full Load situations. Benchmarks, Video rendering etc.
The Air is NOT made for consistent full Load. If this is what you're going to have, the Macbook Air is not for you ^^"

The Air is pretty much a "all-day computer" for most people, doing simple basic Tasks without any Problems, browsing the Web, social media, Office Work, etc.
maybe occasionaly some highe rload for a short time, like editing a small home-video 1-2x per Month or something like that.

If you have full Load situations often, you might get better results with a Thinkpad T495(s), or a X1 Carbon. Or HP Elitebook/zBook, 

Or let it be Dell XPS, whatever.. Anything with a more consistent Cooling System, that can keep a full Load unter check.

Another really good advantage of Windows Notebooks here: It's possible to use Intel's xtreme utility to undervolt your CPU, letting it run way cooler, and ultimately letting it boost higher = cooler AND better performance.
Apple doesn't allow this kind of Tweak sadly.

If you had a chance to try 1-2 Models out before you buy, that would be quite helpfull.

43 minutes ago, smokowiec1203 said:

about macbook air  what you thinks about liquid metal paste as a solution for overhetas? it's much more in my type and price is much lower but i want to make sure that i made a right decision for me 

It won't matter. The fan on the air isn't connected to the heatplate. It doesn't even have a full heatsink. LM would only destroy the heatplate and make it worse after a year

-= Topic Locked =-

If you wish to help then help not argue and debate.

On 3/25/2020 at 5:24 AM, smokowiec1203 said:

hi,

Macbook air 2020 price 1222 USD

<snip>

OP looking at "old" tech is not a bad thing. Anything in the last couple of years is considered new.

If the MateBook is what you seek then I suggest you get it. getting the newest version is only going to cost you more because of its newer status not because it is necessarily better.

The X1 Carbon is also a good laptop.

Lastly to put this to bed;

Business class does not in any way mean a better build quality, it means you are buying a laptop without all the bells and whistles, it is like buying a car of similar style without the luxury items. It is a basic laptop for the need of a business person using the laptop for a specific purpose in mind, to do the job.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER