Need modem/router suggestions!

Coolsawk

I need a new router and modem reccomendation. I considered the C7800 but I do want a separate router and modem now. I have no idea what is actually good for my situation below:

-My budget is around $300-ish for both.

-I have a 1,000Mbps DL speed from xfinity Comcast.

-I am only hitting 400Mbps with my AC1600.

-There are 10 devices connected to the wifi in my house. 20 when my family comes over.

-I have a 2 story house. Ground floor and basement. 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2 living rooms kitchen and a dinning room.

-We constantly stream youtube for the kids.

-I game regularly.

Please grace me with your suggestions and personal home wifi connection hardware.

My memory particularly with Comcast is using one of the modem/router models they support makes things MUCH simpler

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I recommend separate devices.  I am not a fan of modems with wifi built in.

For the modem.  ARRIS SURFboard SB6190.  Or maybe the SB8200 if you think you will need the speed in the future.

For the wifi.  I am not sure.  There are a lot of choices.

I recommend something that works with pfsense.

It is a very personal item.  I just don't know your situation and what is available.  I have not shopped in a while.

ASUS makes some nice stuff with good firmware out of the box.

I use a Netgear Nighthawk with DD-WRT.  But that might not work for you.

I have used ARRIS SURFboard modems for a long time.  Never had a problem.

Surfboards are the way to go for the modem; a friend just upgraded to the SB8200, and it's working well for him. There's really two main benefits of a DOCSIS 3 modem at the moment: the protocol is more frequency- and modulation-efficient, so the provider's able to get more out of the same resources, and there's not as many people using it right now, so there's less congestion on the DOCSIS backhaul. As for routers, I have a hard time recommending really any consumer equipment, but for that space I'd recommend one of the mesh systems, like Netgear's Orbi, or if you're willing to go into prosumer or pro hardware, looking at something like the Unifi Dream Machine with some extra APs throughout the house. Plus, with the second option, you get to start learning more about how to really tackle networking!

2 hours ago, Small Turdle said:

ARRIS SURFboard SB6190

Please don't.  All of the Puma 6 devices should be burned to the ground.

I've been using a MB8600 for about 2.5 years on the gig plan, super solid.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C