SSD suddenly very slow, with long response times

SamD98

Basically, as the title says, I have an ADATA SX8200NP SSD I bought about a year ago, it's the 1 TB model, and up until a couple of days ago it's been behaving great.

In the last couple, of days suddenly my computer has become very slow and the SSD's average response times have been to typically around half a second as measured by task manager. The disk is about half full.

I am running windows 10 1909 x64.

My computer specs are as follows:

Ryzen 7 2700X

2X 16GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum 

1 TB ADATA SX8200NP

1 TB Western Digital Black 7200 RPM

Gigabyte X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI rev. 1.0 (BIOS Version installed F50, installed months ago)

Asus Turbo RTX 2080 SUPER

EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 Watt

Any advice is welcome, thanks!

20 minutes ago, SamD98 said:

Any advice is welcome, thanks!

Have you checked to see if the drive is perhaps failing?

I believe CrystalDiskInfo will give you that info

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

14 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Have you checked to see if the drive is perhaps failing?

I believe CrystalDiskInfo will give you that info

CrystalDiskInfo says the drive health is good.

image.png.b07ca44fc5a717eb893e09965b2bd733.png

11 minutes ago, SamD98 said:

CrystalDiskInfo says the drive health is good.

image.png.b07ca44fc5a717eb893e09965b2bd733.png

🤔 Have you tried doing a virus scan at all, like with malwarebytes? 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

5 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

🤔 Have you tried doing a virus scan at all, like with malwarebytes? 

I've runs scans with windows defender, windows defender offline, and malwarebytes.  Nothing has been detected.  

Just now, SamD98 said:

I've runs scans with windows defender, windows defender offline, and malwarebytes.  Nothing has been detected.  

Have you tried running a boot time scan as well? 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Just now, BlackManINC said:

Have you tried running a boot time scan as well? 

I have.

2 minutes ago, SamD98 said:

I have.

Does the computer boot up slower than usual as well? 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

10 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

Does the computer boot up slower than usual as well? 

Yeah.  The login screen is particularly slow, normally the second the lock screen shows up I can type in my pin and get it logged in (with the actual loading of my desktop only taking like three or four seconds) now the lock screen lags, even just dismissing the first screen to be able to enter my pin, and loading into the desktop takes about half a minute.  I haven't installed any major pieces of software recently or run any big windows version updates.

4 minutes ago, SamD98 said:

Yeah.  The login screen is particularly slow, normally the second the lock screen shows up I can type in my pin and get it logged in (with the actual loading of my desktop only taking like three or four seconds) now the lock screen lags, even just dismissing the first screen to be able to enter my pin, and loading into the desktop takes about half a minute.  I haven't installed any major pieces of software recently or run any big windows version updates.

What programs do you have running in the background in the task manager? There might be something hogging up the resources. And if all else fails, you might have to do a clean install of your operating system.  

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

1 minute ago, BlackManINC said:

What programs do you have running in the background in the task manager? There might be something hogging up the resources. And if all else fails, you might have to do a clean install of your operating system.  

I've got nothing major running in the background at startup, steam, discord, a few other small things.  But nothing has changed with what I have running there, and my SSD performance has gotten so much worse, I was hoping there might be a magical solution that didn't require me doing a clean install but if there is no other option I guess I'll go for that.

Just now, SamD98 said:

I've got nothing major running in the background at startup, steam, discord, a few other small things.  But nothing has changed with what I have running there, and my SSD performance has gotten so much worse, I was hoping there might be a magical solution that didn't require me doing a clean install but if there is no other option I guess I'll go for that.

You could try disabling some of the "services" the operating system itself is running. There are tons of them, and some of them aren't even needed. Just type 'services' in the seach bar of your task bar and click on the app that pops up. Just carefully research each one before disabling them, just in case its something you need. This may or may not work, but a clean install is the most straight forward solution. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

7 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

You could try disabling some of the "services" the operating system itself is running. There are tons of them, and some of them aren't even needed. Just type 'services' in the seach bar of your task bar and click on the app that pops up. Just carefully research each one before disabling them, just in case its something you need. This may or may not work, but a clean install is the most straight forward solution. 

I'm more trying to figure out what is wrong with my SSD itself rather than find ways to mitigate the issue.

6 minutes ago, SamD98 said:

I'm more trying to figure out what is wrong with my SSD itself rather than find ways to mitigate the issue.

If its the SSD, it might not be a good brand, because its health status is at 100%, yet its still giving you fits. I have no idea who 'Adata' is or their reputation. I would have gone with a more well known company like Western Digital or Samsung. If you are still having issues even after a clean install, you might want to just replace that SSD with another brand entirely. Its either the brand, or the model itself being of low quality design, cheaply made.

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

2 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

If its the SSD, it might not be a good brand, because its health status is at 100%, yet its still giving you fits. I have no idea who 'Adata' is or their reputation. I would have gone with a more well known company like Western Digital or Samsung. If you are still having issues even after a clean install, you might want to just replace that SSD with another brand entirely. Its either the brand, or the model itself being of low quality design, cheaply made.

ADATA is actually a relatively large company and makes fairly reliable products.

1 minute ago, SamD98 said:

ADATA is actually a relatively large company and makes fairly reliable products.

Well the model you bought still might be cheaply made though, even though it cost $144. Even Samsung will sell a budget SSD beyond what its worth. Whatever the case, a clean install should do the trick. If it works, make sure you back everything up on a system image file on an external HDD, that way if anything ruins your day again, you can restore your computer back to its optimal state. 👍👍

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

• 1 year later...

TLDR: Same as the OP: CrystalDiskInfo and MalwareBytes say everything is fine, but there's a problem somewhere with my ADATA SSD, to the point I'm planning to ditch it.

I have the same type of problem with an ADATA SSD, only mine is mSATA. It randomly pauses for a few seconds with 100% disk active but 0 MB/s transfer rate, most noticeable when under heavy load such as running a back up, but can be for almost any filesystem activity.

I'm using it for my main boot drive (C:) but have moved \temp and \dropbox to a different drive to reduce disk activity. I tested using a ram cache to reduce writes, but then it just locks up longer when the cache is dumped to disk. I'm at the point of just cloning my Windows install across to a samsung ssd so that I don't need to use the ADATA disk any more.

Sorry, no solutions to the problem, just a 'me too'.

Oh, I know exactly what is wrong.  SSDs need to be "cleaned" every once in a while.  It's actually a real kick in the slacks to the user, I don't know why the entire user community seems to think it is okay to have to deal with this once you reach ~80% capacity on you drive.

Backup everything, this will completely erase everything, and then insert your windows install media.

"repair"

"Advanced"

"Command prompt"

then follow these steps starting at step 3.
https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/how-to-diskpart-eraseclean-a-drive-through-the-command-prompt-005929en/

I promise it will restore your speed to what it was when you first got the drive (as long as your drive is actually not failing on a hardware level)

It must be true, I read it on the internet...