16GB Recognised, (7.95GB Usable)

Ive followed a few tutorials that involve me opening MSConfig and updating my BIOS. I've even moved my ram sticks to different slots to find I have the same problem. Any ideas would be great!

RAM.jpg

You might try running memtestx86 (needs USB key) and seeing if a stick of RAM is bad.

Also depending on the chipset, you might have a limitation on max RAM. (unsure what the CPU is)

do they both work by themselves?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Yea, each ram stick works fine on its own. I should also mention i have 2x 8GB sticks and when only 1 ram stick is present in hte MOBO, it saysthere is 8GB Recognised but only 4GB available. It seems that it is reserving half the available RAM for some reason

7 minutes ago, NotSoSmallDavid said:

Yea, each ram stick works fine on its own. I should also mention i have 2x 8GB sticks and when only 1 ram stick is present in hte MOBO, it saysthere is 8GB Recognised but only 4GB available. It seems that it is reserving half the available RAM for some reason

Check the hardware reserved amount in task manager 

image.thumb.png.e640db6fe83cdb26728acf838ebc6d59.pngHere's what mine looks like btw

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

5 minutes ago, Ben17 said:

Check the hardware reserved amount in task manager 

image.thumb.png.e640db6fe83cdb26728acf838ebc6d59.pngHere's what mine looks like btw

It just tells me that 8GB is reserved?

Find a way to label the ram sticks as '1' and '2', and boot with only one stick installed. If it boots with stick 1 but not with stick 2, stick 2 is bad. If it boots with stick 2 but not with stick 1, stick 1 is bad. If it boots with both sticks individually, but not together, it might be a CPU issue or some other problem. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

3 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

Find a way to label the ram sticks as '1' and '2', and boot with only one stick installed. If it boots with stick 1 but not with stick 2, stick 2 is bad. If it boots with stick 2 but not with stick 1, stick 1 is bad. If it boots with both sticks individually, but not together, it might be a CPU issue or some other problem. 

He said both work on their own and besides if one stick was bad 16gb would not be detected i think

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

It states that only 8gb is physical memory and the L3 Cache size is 16GB? 

2wfc4Lt.png

90541910_240383967099134_6523838834797445120_n.jpg.45dcf118df20ead6e2efa8fb68dc36b4.jpg

11 minutes ago, NotSoSmallDavid said:

Any help would be much appreciated

Did you get your ram sticks as a 2*8GB kit? or do you use two different RAM sticks? 

Had this happen a few days ago. It also happened intermittently, and regardless of the sticks & slots. It since went away, then I upgraded my BIOS. Do not know if the update worked for me or if it just went away on its own, but now I'm having other issues...

1 minute ago, RedMug said:

Had this happen a few days ago. It also happened intermittently, and regardless of the sticks & slots. It since went away, then I upgraded my BIOS. Do not know if the update worked for me or if it just went away on its own, but now I'm having other issues...

5 minutes ago, papajo said:

Did you get your ram sticks as a 2*8GB kit? or do you use two different RAM sticks? 

For me I had 2x8. OP, what RAM sticks do you have? I have Team Group T-Force RGB 2600MHz.

3 hours ago, papajo said:

I have 2* 8GB sticks properly populated in the correct DIMM slots to take advantage of dual channel and I've flashed my BIOS already 

1 hour ago, NotSoSmallDavid said:

I have 2* 8GB sticks properly populated in the correct DIMM slots to take advantage of dual channel and I've flashed my BIOS already 

I did not ask that... are both ram sticks the same? like same model and brand latency etc ?

5 hours ago, NotSoSmallDavid said:

Can you download speccy and screenshot the ram?

On 3/26/2020 at 10:29 PM, papajo said:

I did not ask that... are both ram sticks the same? like same model and brand latency etc ?

Yeah they're exactly the same as eachother

I have since put both sticks in the same channel to take advantage of the 16GB instead of 'dual channel' with only one usable stick

8 minutes ago, NotSoSmallDavid said:

Yeah they're exactly the same as eachother

The picture you provided from the bios showing the memory slots and frequencies was very smal and blury that's why I asked... they seem to be a 3400Mhz kit?

well in that case your mobo doesnt seem to support that memory for ryzen 2XXX seriers https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PLUS-MAX#support-mem-14

you need to get a different kit. 

An other idea (if you didnt do that already) is to update the bios maybe you get lucky and the kit gets recognized that way.

heres a proper picture of my bios, I may have used the thumbnail for the upload image in my other message

biosssssssssssssssssssss.jpg

After consistent tests, I have come to believe that one of my DIMM slots dont work. My system wont post with a stick in the fourth slot. When populated in slots 2 & 4 it only allows for 8gb to be used. when slots 1 & 2 are populated the system boots and allows for the full16Gb to be used, however this does not allow me to take advantage of dual channel.