Looking for a desk

xven

So i am looking for a desk that is pretty big, if possible 72inch long ...

I am looking for something that is like those standing desk without being one, i also do not want to pay over 1000$ for it and i would like a desk with a nice quality wood desk top.

How do you feel about DIY projects?

Because right now is not a great time to be buying desks, since IKEA is closed. Otherwise they have some great legs and desk tops to use.

Or you can just go to your local hardware store, pick up a countertop or something like that and prop it on legs that you either find at the hardware store or make yourself, with 2x4 or 4x4.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

7 minutes ago, xven said:

like those standing desk without being one

??? So you want a normal desk? :P 

Normally I would recommend IKEA desks, but second hand (like a MALM, GALANT, etc.), but I am not sure how good of an idea it is to suggest that right now.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

How do you feel about DIY projects?

Because right now is not a great time to be buying desks, since IKEA is closed. Otherwise they have some great legs and desk tops to use.

Or you can just go to your local hardware store, pick up a countertop or something like that and prop it on legs that you either find at the hardware store or make yourself, with 2x4 or 4x4.

i would like something easy to make as my dyi skills are terrible lol

1 minute ago, minibois said:

??? So you want a normal desk? :P 

Normally I would recommend IKEA desks, but second hand (like a MALM, GALANT, etc.), but I am not sure how good of an idea it is to suggest that right now.

would have to be a online purchase as everything is closed... and yes like a normal desk but the looks that those standing desks gets.

So what IS your budget for this anyway?

Because a good desk will cost you money. Lots of it.

You can also just buy something like this and call it a day

https://www.amazon.ca/Office-Star-Multipurpose-Rectangle-Folding/dp/B000DILOKO

Not much in terms of options with most stores closed and IKEA's shipping being so god damn expensive. (are their warehouse even open right now ...)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

So what IS your budget for this anyway?

Because a good desk will cost you money. Lots of it.

You can also just buy something like this and call it a day

https://www.amazon.ca/Office-Star-Multipurpose-Rectangle-Folding/dp/B000DILOKO

Not much in terms of options with most stores closed and IKEA's shipping being so god damn expensive. (are their warehouse even open right now ...)

i can do max 1000 to 1250$

but at that price i want something insane lol

Ikea desktops are ok, but IMO overrated, especially if you are looking for something butcherblock.

I'd suggest checking out Home Depot's butcher block countertops.  They have different types of wood available as well as different finishes, and you get more for your money than you would for a similar Ikea top.  It will probably be a special order so will take about a week (assuming you choose cheap shipping), but it will be worth it.  You can look at it before you bring it home as well, so if you're not happy with the quality, you can get refunded.  From there, just find some legs or drawer units (sized to fit each other) from whatever source you like to fit your needs and you're pretty much set for all the bare essentials of a good desk that can be expanded with customizations and accessories.

I'm curious as well why you aren't interested in a sit/stand desk.  Do you just not care about the function, dislike the appearance, want to save the money, or is it something else?

So...

Like a standing desk, but not a standing desk

the top in wood.

Buy the legs structure at Ikea or Amazon.

Buy the top at your usual DIY material shop.

Where are you geographically? The US?  Links depend on that.

Despite Ikea being closed, I recommend getting two trestles ( these are what I use: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/finnvard-trestle-with-shelf-white-80150095/

and then placing your desktop on top. I particularly like this setup because you can adjust the height of the trestles and therefore your desktop, it's easy to take apart and move, relatively inexpensive, and you can put whatever type of desktop you want on it. I have a cheap ikea desktop, but if you want something nice, it gives you options.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

I just use one of these:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-6-Foot-Centerfold-Folding-Table-White/46368979

It's basically the same, except plastic and cheaper. If you want to build one, cheaply, buy one of these, then buy some of whatever wood you want. Plane it smooth on one side, then route out the bottom such that it can be mounted to the frame. Don't worry about making a hinge in your top, unless you want to.

You should be aware that a 3'x6' 2" thick slab of anything other than composite wood will be insanely expensive, but probably won't break your $1000 budget. Just know that any non composite wood that size will definitely be something you don't want to have to buy twice, so make sure you have a good plan for how to plane the top level and smooth as well as how to route out the bottom to fit the Costco frame. Additionally, get some waste wood of the same type so you can test your finish out before doing it on the big piece.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME