A conversation about overclocking Ryzen 7 3700x - Looking for opinions

Whats up guys. So I just got my new Ryzen 7 3700x and the first thing I wanted to do was overclock, test and benchmark it to see how high I could get it. 

I did everything through Ryzen Master, got it stable up to 4.4ghz on 1.337v and was happy with that.

Screenshots of CPUID and Ryzen Master

But got me wondering why the Ryzen 5 3600x had a TDP of 95w and the Ryzen 7 3700x only had a TDP of 65w, and if this might be the reason I was able to overclock higher, and this started the conversation on voltages. I read AMDs official posting about how tools are reporting the voltages with Ryzen and how they are incorrect most of the time, did the CPU-Z test (with default settings) to ensure my chip was downclocking to 1v or under at idle, and it was, but am still kind of confused. 

TL;DR here is, is it unsafe to run that high of an all core overclock on this chip, and with that voltage? Will it brick the chip at any given time? Is there a reason to NOT overclock these (aside from just wanting to be safe?) 

Cheers

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Hendrics said:

Whats up guys. So I just got my new Ryzen 7 3700x and the first thing I wanted to do was overclock, test and benchmark it to see how high I could get it. 

I did everything through Ryzen Master, got it stable up to 4.4ghz on 1.337v and was happy with that.

Screenshots of CPUID and Ryzen Master

But got me wondering why the Ryzen 5 3600x had a TDP of 95w and the Ryzen 7 3700x only had a TDP of 65w, and if this might be the reason I was able to overclock higher, and this started the conversation on voltages. I read AMDs official posting about how tools are reporting the voltages with Ryzen and how they are incorrect most of the time, did the CPU-Z test (with default settings) to ensure my chip was downclocking to 1v or under at idle, and it was, but am still kind of confused. 

TL;DR here is, is it unsafe to run that high of an all core overclock on this chip, and with that voltage? Will it brick the chip at any given time? Is there a reason to NOT overclock these (aside from just wanting to be safe?) 

Cheers

It's not the voltage that kills the Ryzen chip. More related to Heat and Current abuse. 

So a high voltage and low amp draw is ok. 1 core 1.45v, half the cores in parked state or gated if you will, is a relatively low package current draw. So would be considered safe. 

I would think 4.4ghz 70c or lower at 1.3250v (ish) would be safe enough for long term use. 

Running the processor near throttle temp 90-95c is safe enough, but not recommended.  

Some software can report wrong. Even AMD's software. In fact I don't use Ryzen Master at all. So you lean on software that's known to be accurate and supply additional data such as Hwinfo64. Cpu-z is always accurate or they are out of business. They've reported Cpu and memory clocks for decades now an is the go to source.

Overclocking is never about how long you can sustain a draw at the highest temp possible. It's actually the goal to maintain lowest possible temps to prevent possible damage from overclocking.

Additional Comment:

It is noted in the manuals that overclocking can be risky and voids warranties, in the end, at your own risk.

14 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

It's not the voltage that kills the Ryzen chip. More related to Heat and Current abuse. 

So a high voltage and low amp draw is ok. 1 core 1.45v, half the cores in parked state or gated if you will, is a relatively low package current draw. So would be considered safe. 

I would think 4.4ghz 70c or lower at 1.3250v (ish) would be safe enough for long term use. 

Running the processor near throttle temp 90-95c is safe enough, but not recommended.  

Some software can report wrong. Even AMD's software. In fact I don't use Ryzen Master at all. So you lean on software that's known to be accurate and supply additional data such as Hwinfo64. Cpu-z is always accurate or they are out of business. They've reported Cpu and memory clocks for decades now an is the go to source.

Overclocking is never about how long you can sustain a draw at the highest temp possible. It's actually the goal to maintain lowest possible temps to prevent possible damage from overclocking.

Additional Comment:

It is noted in the manuals that overclocking can be risky and voids warranties, in the end, at your own risk.

Fair enough. I thought it was a pretty impressive overclock, but ive now turned it back to just basic ol PBO to let it do its thing and adjust the voltages as their own software sees fit, and im not seeing any degradation in FPS in games (to the point where I want to turn it back up to 4.4ghz, but I do see it regularly boost up to around 4.2ghz, so ill just leave it as is until I find a real need to overclock. 

Thanks for the response 

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, BruceWayneofLosSanto said:

I wouldn't go over 1.275v on Zen2, maybe you could go 1.3v but you'd have to see what the limits of pbo are for your particular sample.

How would I go about checking the limits of my PBO? Just monitor my vCore using Ryzen Master or CPU-Z?

Spoiler

My GOODNESS! After looking over the pinned "Post your Cinebench Scores" post here, and seeing some of these overclocks and voltage settings 😮

IDK if they are 24/7 running like that, but makes me want to submit mine haha. But after all this talk about killing chips with voltages / thermals, etc, im scared lol

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Hendrics said:

My GOODNESS! After looking over the pinned "Post your Cinebench Scores" post here, and seeing some of these overclocks and voltage settings 😮

IDK if they are 24/7 running like that, but makes me want to submit mine haha. But after all this talk about killing chips with voltages / thermals, etc, im scared lol

Most of them probably did that for accomplishment and show off. Which is healthy overclocking fun and experience. 

Submit your scores, run a different daily clock. Who's to know? My 8700K is pinned at 3.7ghz and 1v for quieter operation. I crank it up when need be.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Most of them probably did that for accomplishment and show off. Which is healthy overclocking fun and experience. 

Submit your scores, run a different daily clock. Who's to know? My 8700K is pinned at 3.7ghz and 1v for quieter operation. I crank it up when need be.

Im gonna do it here today at some point. I used to participate in the 3dmark spreadsheet in the GPU section but kinda stopped, real life things. But im in a much better position today to get back in to these things (disposable income helps  🤣)

Spoiler

Just now, Hendrics said:

Im gonna do it here today at some point. I used to participate in the 3dmark spreadsheet in the GPU section but kinda stopped, real life things. But im in a much better position today to get back in to these things (disposable income helps  🤣)

Good. Perhaps you should have a look at submitting to HWBot database?? That's where some of my subs go!! :D

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

Good. Perhaps you should have a look at submitting to HWBot database?? That's where some of my subs go!! :D

Oh wow! Thanks for that info, just googled it and it looks like a great place to learn from others "loadouts" if you will! 

Cheers mate!

Spoiler

***Just an update here***

So went over the method to find my chips FIT, and turns out it's around 1.17v - 1.19v. So after finding this out, I again went at some overclocking with those voltages to see what would happen... I was surprised to say the least.

Able to run stable at 4.25ghz @ 1.18v in both Cinebench R15 (Score of 2125), and in Cinebench R20 (Score of 4938). Temps at max load never got above 70c, was actually bouncing around 65c the entire time. 

I posted my WAY TOO HIGH VOLTAGE OC benchmarks to pinned thread here, and the scores don't seem too bad in comparison. Screenshots in the links below. 

R15

R20

Thanks to everyone here for helping me talk through this! Y'all are the best

Spoiler

2 hours ago, BruceWayneofLosSanto said:

1.17v-1.19v seems a little low, did you max out the pbo limits?

I went into the BIOS and enabled PBO, went to advanced options, cranked up the PPT, TDC, and EDC as high as I could (maxed out to 4900 or so), then ran Prime95 Small FFT for a few hours, average voltage came up around 1.18v.

System is running great with the low voltages, and thermals have never been better. Very surprised it can hold the clock speeds with that low voltage. 

Spoiler

Sometimes if you put too high numbers into pbo it can perform worse.  Maybe try 200/200/200 instead for ppt/tdc/edc.  I think if 1.25v was safe for your system you might be able to go 4.3ghz+.  Are you using the stock cooler?  Maybe that's limiting your voltage too.

22 hours ago, BruceWayneofLosSanto said:

Sometimes if you put too high numbers into pbo it can perform worse.  Maybe try 200/200/200 instead for ppt/tdc/edc.  I think if 1.25v was safe for your system you might be able to go 4.3ghz+.  Are you using the stock cooler?  Maybe that's limiting your voltage too.

I probably could dial it in further with higher voltages for slightly higher clocks, but I am happy with what I am getting now, and remaining within what i KNOW is my CPUs FIT safe limit is. I don't want the chip to start becoming unstable down the line months / year from now. And for my use case (gaming / video editing), everything is running amazingly smooth and stable with this OC (unlike my attempts to OC my Ryzen 5 3600x before I knew about FIT or how to find out safe voltages)

I was just following the procedure outlined in an AMD post about voltages and how to find the FIT for your specific CPU (every chip is different due to the silicone lottery), very happy with what I am running at now. 

Spoiler