New Workstation / Gaming PC - need some evaluation

Hey ho folks,

my name's Liam and I want to get back to my first and most favourite hobby: computers. Earlier I was only looking for gaming performance but I sold my last PC to prepare for a huge trip to Indonesia. Now that I needed to return to Germany, I plan on creating a Youtube channel, stream some single player video games and maybe even program a small server or at least get into Linux later.

To speed things up, I will answer the guideline questions in reverse order.

5. Why are you upgrading? / 2. Aim

Well I currently do not have a PC and my Elitebook G1 840 from HP doesn't offer the calculation power to run DaVinci Resolve 16. It lacks CPU performance as well as a GPU (I like CUDA support for rendering). But for office work I cannot complain. It taught me alot about how to get along with limited ressources.

My goals are:

• video editing
    • 1080p 30fps
    • DaVinci Resolve 16
    • decent working speeds (with optimized media)
    • average to good rendering speeds
    • later I would like to switch to Open Source software or pay for the full DaVinci license
  • office / programming / DJing
    • as I said before, for normal office works and Rekordbox the Elitebook is good enough
    • even simple programming can easily be done with the Elitebook
    • the Elitebook starts getting unpleasant when I need more desktop/ display space
    • for running multiple servers like Apache or for Engine Prime from Denon DJ the Elitebook lacks power
  • multi boot
    • I want to run a quick multi boot system with
      • Windows 10
        • gaming
        • streaming
        • nice workflows
      • Linux Mint
        • programming
        • getting to know new software
        • testing alternatives to Windows
  • gaming
    • graphic heavy single player games like
      • Tomb Raider
    • graphic heavy multi player games like
      • Battlefield
    • games that don't need alot of ressources but benifit from it, e.g.
      • LoL
    • prefer G-Sync since I remember the flawless, smooth movements of picture and cursor (fell in love with it)
  • streaming
    • since I want to get into Youtube, I probably won't stop and then create a small YT-studio from which I gonna stream
    • got a Stream Deck yet ❤️ as a gift from a friend (use it for certain workflows → macros)
  • silence / performance
    • I want a silent build
    • I want to do overclocking after the warranty runs out, so after two (2) years
  • looks
    • I don't care much about the looks since I won't look at the PC 24/7 and it is going to be placed on the ground

As you may see, I need an allrounder. Let's jump ahead.

4. Peripherals

• already got
    • Corsair K95 Platinum RGB with Cherry MX Speed switches and won't give that away
    • Corsair Glaive RGB

3. Monitors

1. Budget & Location

• Budget
    • 1000 - 2000 €

0. The Build

So here is a list of all the components, but I nail them down here again for everybody to read.

The whole build would cost from around 1278€ (link) to 2000€ (link). Since I don't need the PC immediately I could wait for special offers and buy the parts when they are cheaper than average.

Maybe you guys could give me some advice if I am bottlenecking the CPU since the GPU could be an RTX 2070 or if I rather invest money in a different motherboard and use a PCIe to M.2 card instead. Maybe you got some knowledge where I could save money or better use different parts.

9 hours ago, Legend Liam said:

So here is a list of all the components, but I nail them down here again for everybody to read.

-gsync = freesync at this point. nvidia made them compatible. 

-your Acer Predator monitor listed is just a freesync monitor too

-the AOC option I list below is highly acclaimed. i'd go with the AOC for the lower price but do your own decision.

Review for the 24" model

• Motherboard - ASUS Prime X570-Pro (232€)
    • Pros
      • upgradability
      • two M.2 slots for NVME (good for my dual boot Win/ Linux system)
      • cannot go wrong with ASUS
      • looks insanely well
      • nice cooling for components
    • Cons
      • pricy
      • may get into conflict with the air cooler Dark Rock Pro 4
  • CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 8x 3.60GHz (290€)
    • good for multi thread rendering
    • nessesary for 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM without overclocking the CPU thus keeping the warranty
    • plenty battle power for upcoming gaming titles
    • drops in price regularely
    • alternatively

-Probably better off getting the X570 TUF Gaming or X570 PRIME-P....

-And while there's nothing wrong with these boards ASUS has made some pretty hot garbage in the last year such as their B450 line and the 5700XTs...

-3700X would be great for this build

-Just letting you know in the future CPU companies can't tell if you've overclocked anyway....

-If you can find one on clearance for cheap the RX Vega 64 can be a pretty good value... hard to find. doesn't do bad in Resolve as well, not far behind the 2070 and 2060S.... faster than 2060.

-If you can find the RTX 2060 KO it has a faster die that can be advantageous in some workloads. Hard to find outside USA

-Buy 2x8GB instead. The performance is so much better, important especially with ryzen...

-really no need to buy the same DIMM brand/model... it usually works nonetheless

-consider fractal design cases... the define series is designed for silence too and they look quite nice.

10 hours ago, Legend Liam said:

I would go for an inbetween option, with a fast NVMe SSD paired with a 2TB or 3TB HDD....

Here's a build list on DE PCPP with all my suggestions

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€297.99 @ Mindfactory) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (€73.89 @ Aquatuning) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€199.00 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (€84.84 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Silicon Power A80 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€88.92 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Toshiba P300 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€61.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card  (€420.90 @ Alza) 
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500 ATX Mid Tower Case  (€81.19 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€92.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Monitor: AOC 27G2U/BK 27.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor  (€264.26 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €1665.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-22 00:12 CET+0100

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

On 3/22/2020 at 12:12 AM, LienusLateTips said:

-gsync = freesync at this point. nvidia made them compatible. 

-your Acer Predator monitor listed is just a freesync monitor too

-the AOC option I list below is highly acclaimed. i'd go with the AOC for the lower price but do your own decision.

Thank you, I will consider taking a closer look at it. I looked into to details. I think I am chosing between

-Probably better off getting the X570 TUF Gaming or X570 PRIME-P....

-And while there's nothing wrong with these boards ASUS has made some pretty hot garbage in the last year such as their B450 line and the 5700XTs...

Thanks. I myself have very good experience with the ASUS support here in Germany. They're very friendly and instantly put my through to technical support instead of normal support when calling them.

Additionally the 570X Prime is the only that offers all the features I need for my future updates at a valuable price. So I'll stick to that one.

-If you can find the RTX 2060 KO it has a faster die that can be advantageous in some workloads.

I will do that. The price / performance ratio is great.

-Buy 2x8GB instead. The performance is so much better, important especially with ryzen...

Okay, will do.

-consider fractal design cases... the define series is designed for silence too and they look quite nice.

Yes I will go with the Fractal Design R6 USB-C White

For storage I now go for NVMe + 2TB SSD (and later +1 NVMe of the same type for Linux or another partition)

Final list:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€289.00 @ Alternate)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (€73.89 @ Aquatuning)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€244.90 @ ARLT)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Storage: Corsair MP510 480 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€92.80 @ Alza)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€300.80 @ Alza)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB KO GAMING Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (€146.89 @ Alternate)
Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 11 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€126.89 @ Alternate)
Monitor: Asus VG248QG 24.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz Monitor
Total: €1900

7 hours ago, Legend Liam said:

The 860 Evo is pretty overpriced. See if you can get something like a MX500, or a DRAMless (one of the cheaper) NVMe PCIE SSDs.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.