Do I Need To Upgrade my PSU?

Frano121

Recently I updated my PC to make it quieter. I bought CPU cooler and few case fans. Now everything is very quiet except my PSU. I'm not sure if it's worth upgrading my PSU only for that, or how quieter can it get.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor OC to 3950 MHz, 1.39375 V
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: 16 GB 1367 MHz
Storage: Kingston 120 GB + 240 GB 2.5" SSD
Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB JetStream Video Card 
Case: SHARKOON TG5 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Chieftec 550W A-80 Series (CTG-550C I think)

Not sure if it helps but I added a photo with a lot of numbers I don't understand

How good is this PSU for my build and should I upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20200319_013759.jpg

4 minutes ago, Frano121 said:

Hello There,

My name is Alienware and I looked at Your Post and Thought:

"That PSU is Pretty good but It should probobly be at 650Watts just to be safe."

Have Fun OC'ing!

12 minutes ago, Frano121 said:

Recently I updated my PC to make it quieter. I bought CPU cooler and few case fans. Now everything is very quiet except my PSU. I'm not sure if it's worth upgrading my PSU only for that, or how quieter can it get.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor OC to 3950 MHz, 1.39375 V
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: 16 GB 1367 MHz
Storage: Kingston 120 GB + 240 GB 2.5" SSD
Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB JetStream Video Card 
Case: SHARKOON TG5 ATX Mid Tower Case

Not sure if it helps but I added a photo with a lot of numbers I don't understand

How good is this PSU for my build and should I upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20200319_013759.jpg

Personally i think not maybe upgrade the powersupply but that aint needed, 

Blake has arrived!!

Just your local tech geek!

Love to help!

Yeah..... I heard some chieftec psu's doesn't really sound that good, so maybe change it..... 

@LukeSavenije is this chieftech bad? I think all chieftec is bad but you never know. 

If you feel safe with opening it and checking the fan you could upgrade its fan. Tho your memory is pretty slow for Ryzen, i would invest further money into that way if the PSU is enough.

I am NOT a native english speaker and use translate a lot, please do not take it literally and bear with me.

I took a gander at the CTG-550C PSU, it strikes me as odd that the PSU isn't doesn't have a formal "80+ Bronze/Silver Certified Efficiency" tag, yet advertises itself as "85+ Efficiency." The other thing I noted was its rather short one-year warranty, although I suppose the PSU is meant to be cheap affordable.

If you can find it within your budget to upgrade your PSU, I'd definitely go for that route. Some things about the CTG-550C PSU rub me a little odd.

SourceCTG-550C by Chieftec.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

10 minutes ago, Eschew said:

I took a gander at the CTG-550C PSU, it strikes me as odd that the PSU isn't doesn't have a formal "80+ Bronze/Silver Certified Efficiency" tag, yet advertises itself as "85+ Efficiency."

It's just a fake logo they put on the that looks like the 80+ logo to trick people in to thinking they're 80+ certified. Most people just see the bronze coloured badge and think "oh that's an 80+ bronze power supply".

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 hours ago, Alienware 15 R2 said:

It should probobly be at 650Watts just to be safe.

4 hours ago, Bumbummen said:

If you feel safe with opening it and checking the fan you could upgrade its fan.

PSU bad advices 101 :

- Get more wattage, it would be better !

- Replace the fan with Noctua, it would be better !

No, higher wattage PSU doesn't equal better quality. And please, don't replace anything in your PSU if you don't know what are you doing unless it's absolutely necessary.

Judging by the internals shots this PSU looks to be based on some old double mag amp platform from High Power \ Sirfa, i didn't dig further because double mag amp rarely have very spectacular crossloads performance so i would recommend to replace it. But if you don't plan on upgrading this PC anywhere soon or don't have money to replace PSU right now, it'll do i guess.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

7 hours ago, Juular said:

PSU bad advices 101 :

- Get more wattage, it would be better !

- Replace the fan with Noctua, it would be better !

No, higher wattage PSU doesn't equal better quality. And please, don't replace anything in your PSU if you don't know what are you doing unless it's absolutely necessary.

Well we do not know what OP knows or feels safe with - that is why i said 'if you feel safe with...' . If you dont just pick a random fan and do some research it will work and yes of course as said you would have to prepare to not create a house fire starter set. If someone touches his PSU without reading first or knowing what he is doing that is pretty much their own fault - at least i would not do such a thing without getting a guide and reading as there are propably high voltage loaded caps and exposed conductors inside. But still if you pick the right fan for your unit it will just work fine 👍

Also i said nothing about notcuta fans, where exactly did you get that from? Sure they can work but i would pick the best fitting silent fan in terms of airflow, rpm and electrical properties. But instead of givng "PSU bad advices 101" answers could you please put arguments & explanations behind your point? Just saying that someone should or can not do something or not listing reasoning does restrict learning and leads to just copying someones opinion without even understanding how to get to this opinion. Here is your good and helpful explanation behind wattage/headroom - this is a very common misconseption even with professionals and system integrators .

Have a nice day, stay healthy ✌️

10 hours ago, Spotty said:

It's just a fake logo they put on the that looks like the 80+ logo to trick people in to thinking they're 80+ certified. Most people just see the bronze coloured badge and think "oh that's an 80+ bronze power supply".

For me that is a reason to not buy from this brand.

I am NOT a native english speaker and use translate a lot, please do not take it literally and bear with me.

Thank you all for your recommendations and suggestions.

I bought this as a prebuilt PC two years ago (it was on a big discount). Since the PSU is not from a reputable brand and the warranty on it has ran out, I would like to buy a new one. I don't want it to ruin my other components.

Which PSU would you recommend for me to buy for this build. I was thinking about buying BE QUIET Dark Power Pro 11, but I'm not sure if there are better ones for that price.

1 hour ago, Frano121 said:

Thank you all for your recommendations and suggestions.

I bought this as a prebuilt PC two years ago (it was on a big discount). Since the PSU is not from a reputable brand and the warranty on it has ran out, I would like to buy a new one. I don't want it to ruin my other components.

Which PSU would you recommend for me to buy for this build. I was thinking about buying BE QUIET Dark Power Pro 11, but I'm not sure if there are better ones for that price.

Okay, the Dark Power Pro 11 is a little overkill for your needs. If you are from the US, you can easily find a reliable 80+ Gold PSU for less than $100. You can find the BitFenix Whipser M 550w and the BitFenix Formula Gold 650w for around $90. And if you want 80+ Platinum, the SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 550w is $115 at B&H.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

1 hour ago, MrBrightSyde said:

Okay, the Dark Power Pro 11 is a little overkill for your needs. If you are from the US, you can easily find a reliable 80+ Gold PSU for less than $100. You can find the BitFenix Whipser M 550w and the BitFenix Formula Gold 650w for around $90. And if you want 80+ Platinum, the SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 550w is $115 at B&H.

Thank you, I'm noob when it comes to power supplies so I can't tell which is an overkill.

I'm from Croatia and I couldn't find any of the BitFenix power supplies, but I managed to find these (sorted by price):

• SEASONIC Prime PX-650, 650W, 80+ Platinum - 12 year warranty - $202,31 (1.440,39 HRK)
  • SEASONIC Prime GX 650, 650W, 80+ Gold - 12 year warranty - $172,32 (1.227,95 HRK)
  • SEASONIC Focus PX-550, 550W, 80+ Platinum - 10 year warranty - $153,18 (1.092,76 HRK) 
  • SEASONIC Focus GX-550 Gold, 550W - 10 year warranty - $126,22 (899,64 HRK)
  • SEASONIC Focus Plus 650 Gold, 650W - 10 year warranty - $114,97 (819,38 HRK)
  • SEASONIC Core GM-650 Gold, 650W - 7 year warranty - $91,81 (654,06 HRK)

For the comparison BE QUIET Dark Power Pro 11 is $173,14 (1.234,05 HRK) 3 year warranty

23 minutes ago, Frano121 said:

I'm from Croatia and I couldn't find any of the BitFenix power supplies, but I managed to find these (sorted by price):

Seasonic Focus GX 550W would be good pick but you can give me link to the store instead, i'll look if there's smth cheaper.

55 minutes ago, Juular said:

Seasonic Focus GX 550W would be good pick but you can give me link to the store instead, i'll look if there's smth cheaper.

Thank you. These are the sites that I trust:

On this site they claim that they are an official retailer of Seasonic, but I haven't had experience buying from this site before. It is listed here https://seasonic.com/locations

If you want to search for a specific model you can search it here https://www.nabava.net/napajanja. Here it displays products from multiple sites

Look at these :

SilentiumPC Supremo M2, 522 HRK

SilentiumPC Supremo FM2, 632 HRK

XFX XTR2, 648 HRK

SPC Supremos are identical inside aside of full modularity on FM2, very good performing PSU, full Japanese caps, hydrodynamic fan, i'd definitely recommend these PSUs.

Or XFX XTR2 which are Seasonic Focus internally so the only reason to pay more for other rebrands of this platform (Riotoro G2, Antec HCG Gold) or OEM version itself are longer warranty (10 years vs 5 years).

8 minutes ago, Juular said:

Look at these :

SilentiumPC Supremo M2, 522 HRK

SilentiumPC Supremo FM2, 632 HRK

XFX XTR2, 648 HRK

SPC Supremos are identical inside aside of full modularity on FM2, very good performing PSU, full Japanese caps, hydrodynamic fan, i'd definitely recommend these PSUs.

Or XFX XTR2 which are Seasonic Focus internally so the only reason to pay more for other rebrands of this platform (Riotoro G2, Antec HCG Gold) or OEM version itself are longer warranty (10 years vs 5 years).

Thank you very much, you've helped me a lot

2 hours ago, Frano121 said:

Thank you very much, you've helped me a lot

Update on M2, it seems to be in fact a bit downgraded internally in comparison with FM2 so with such high-end GPU i'd probably recommend no lower than FM2. Also, i recall that there were also Corsair RMx 550W i forgot about, for smth like 750 HRK which has 10y warranty, i.e cheaper alternative to Seasonic Focus based units that have 10y warranty too if you care about that.