Spark when working on laptop motherboard

Hi ya'll!

Didn't even realize LTT had a whole website, fake fan apparently, anyways!

I was working on my laptop, it had some preexisting issues and whilst gaming it suddenly powered off and wouldn't stay on for longer than 10 - 12 seconds.

After leaving it alone for a couple of days I wanted to get back to it and just figure out what was wrong with it, made sure it didn't have any power left in it.

Had everything disconnected, took the RAM off, battery out, you name it and I did it, however when hooking up the battery again, I saw a bright blue/yellowish spark/flash..

After this I've been hearing a 'ticking' sound coming from both my laptop & the charger and when I plug it up to the charger there's no lights coming on, ASUS wants to take a look at it but is charging me $80 upfront and the repair might top out at $300+.

Given the current state of our beautiful country I've not been able to work for a good couple of weeks, now I'd love to know what I should attempt next.

Is my mobo fried? Could it be the charger? Help or advice would be appreciated!

Sparks are usually not a good sign, if you want to understate it like that. Sounds like you fried at least your motherboard, maybe more

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

1 hour ago, myselfolli said:

Sparks are usually not a good sign, if you want to understate it like that. Sounds like you fried at least your motherboard, maybe more

Just an unbearable amount of pain rn, I honestly thought laptops could only get fried if you touched the mobo with a screwdriver lol

59 minutes ago, lvtcs said:

Just an unbearable amount of pain rn, I honestly thought laptops could only get fried if you touched the mobo with a screwdriver lol

Yeah I've never heard of a mobo dying like that...

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably