Nvdia Gpu not detected as direct X compatable by some games through photon and vms.

Snowarch

My graphics card works fine on injustice 1, mortal kombat 9, the room 2, and minecraft all through photon but minecraft that is java version so its native.

but when i try to play The room 3, and bioshock 2 remastered with nvdia gpu selected it thinks i don't have a card that supports even direct X9.native Dolphin emu complains my card doesnt support vulcan either. which is weird cause the games thay do work run rather fast even can have playable 4k.

Using photon 4, tombraider underworld works through nvdia gpu and others i mentioed that work are through nvdia gpu. In photon 5 tomb raider underworld doesnt work same dowsn't support dx complaint. How do i make bioshock 2 work?

running in integrated mode makes nox emulator able to install in a windows vm, while in nvdia mode it complains too about dx.

specs: Axle p106/1060, and 8086k/cofee lake cpu. 

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

You just wrote VM? So are you actually running regular Geforce drivers? In a Virtual Machine actually Code 43 should happen, since Nvidia does not allow drivers of consumer cards to run in VM (there is a workaround to hide the VM, do not ask me how - never got it working. Amd works out of the box)

no the vm was just one thing, but photon thing is main issue.

heres my setup

P106 gpu through nvdia drivers, with ubuntu 16.04 as my os. i can run

Tombraider underworld, The room2, mortalkombat9, and injustice 1 through photon 4 linux steam no issue. 

photon5 when selected breaks tru, and room. 

both photon versions fuse to run bioshock 2 as they think i do not have direct x 9 compatable card. but the fact that tombraider underworld/tru complains about the card not supporting dx11 on photon 5, but runs it on photon 4means that my card is compatable.

so, how to i fix bioshock 2, and the room 3 is my question. 

@HeartOfGermany

main rig:

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

backup

oh i see when i said minecraft java is native, i meant not through photon. only nox was in a windows vm. sorry for the confusion.

main rig:

backup

Photon as you are talking is the Steam API for running unsupported games on Linux, do I get that right?

The problem might be simple and very unsattisfactory: (my information is not the latest, so don't take it for granted!) Photon is in my Opinion still in the Alpha/Beta state. It is not stable. It will not work with every game and every hardware combination. That might be the main problem.

I know, it is very complicated, but if you realy want to game on linux, a look into KVM with iommu (GPU passthrough mode) might be the solution. And yes, you obviously are required to run Windows for that. You also need to hide the VM from the NVIDIA drivers (I never found a soultion for my problem and gave up prematurely). And this, you have to absoultely understand: This is not allowed by NVIDIA. So not only do it at your own risk, you also might break the law by doing so.

If you see no problem with that you can try it out. If you get it working, you can expect performance up to maybe 97-98% of the bare metal performance. Yes, this is f****** impressive. It realy is amazing, if you get it to work. Tip: Maybe AMD is a consideration for the next buy - since AMD is not locking their drivers in VM and I think they do not forbid it.

One thing to say:

If I would have 100 million dollars, I would absolutely spend 2 of them for the development of a REALY good compatibility layer that supports DX12 gaming even. But in this world... Unlikely to happen by anyone soon. And when that happened, Microsoft will have a new DX or just update DX Ver.12, so that latest games are also not really working in linux.

What I cannot read out of all of this:

What kind of driver did you install for your GPU and did you try an alternative? This can have a lot of effects. Also did you update them, if even an update is available?

Also it migth sound stupid, but did you try just using plain Wine? Wine should work with Vulkan! So might be worth a try if nothing else works.

forgot about normal wine. on my same os laptop with integrated graphics, some games only run on normal wine. im kind of scared to try a gpu update. the p106 having so many issues on windows, i couldnt even use my gpu if i went with that os.

i uaed the driver that came with my ubuntu install for p106. works great.

main rig:

backup

i cannot right now but later i'll screen shot my drivers.

main rig:

backup

@HeartOfGermany actually thats a good question. I read nvdia driver version 435 released prime to linux, but mine is 385.xx or something like this and has it. for a time i used gdebi package manager as default.deb manager since software center was really slow. so to answer your question im not sure about the driver, sides it worked out of the box. i used the update of software updater gui while gdebi was enabled i think. and then stuck the card into pcie. just works. 

Ill try opensource version of drivers. see if theyre vm blocked. 

main rig:

backup

Well, the drivers inside of Linux are not VM blocked. But to use the GPU for a VM you actually need to run the Linux host on another GPU (even a cheap one). To pass through the GPU to the VM, the GPU cannot be taken by the Linux OS.

Try to update the drivers. If this does not work, you can try the open source drivers. (last resort, since I don't think the acceleration will be as optimized as the original drivers)

Unfortunately there are tons of reasons, why it might not work. Even the version of the same game can matter a lot. Sometimes even the old version runs better. It is just not really predictable. I mean, GPU stuff is really complex. And also the Windows<>Linux abstraction has thousands of problems.

If you cannot fix it, you could try to use Win10 as 2nd OS (dual boot). The VM will work, but it might be far to hard to actually get it working. If it works, it just is amazing. It is basically like just using Windows on bare metal. VMs have come a long way!

Do not upgrade your GPU just for this reason. Rather wait, till you need a faster one and than choose AMD, which is preferred by many Linux users, since AMD is not such a big d!ck like Nvidia (and also Intel unfortunately).

Please report, if Wine only works for you. Wine up to date also?

Good luck. :)

@HeartOfGermany it got weird yesterday. my drivers may be out of date. why else would games rated gold on photon give dx error on windows and linux sides. 

bioshock 2, which didnt workon linux worked on virtual box vm through nvdia drivers and so did minecraft windows 10 (i assume integrated would freeze, on all high settings. since its low specs game I wanted to avoid it. sadly high and anti anlising or what ever its called was max. no fps counter in that game.)  also since its a p106 host uses integrated gpu to pass p106 to it. 

since i need to set the gpu memory on the vm i think the vm also uses prime and issue is virtual box using a fake gpu so games dont know what my gpu is. i could be wrong. 

for example, counter strike global offensive runs well on linux side but with opensource, and nvdia drivers on host, the game in windows will start to launch then complain that my gpu doesnt support it. and crashed. ia there a way to skip a games gpu check?? or is double prime aka integratedpassing to host the issue? i cant right now but can give errors later.

main rig:

backup

oh and, if you try anything like virtual box gaming, the mouse moving speed in games is insanely fast/unplayable. lower speed as much as you can. bearly touching the mouse made it go across the entire screen, think its cause of virtual boxes guest resolution limit.

so does it sound like drivers or ill need a second card since double prime? the limit of virtual box is 256-ish mb video memory, even tho games seam to use the card. That skip gpu check, if is a config file in all games or even possible, would seam to do it.

main rig:

backup

Virtualbox simply is not suitable for accelerated workloads. Try to get it running through KVM. It is propably much harder to do, but it realy passes through the GPU. If you cannot archive it, you should go to just a windows install as 2nd boot. KVM with PCIe passthrough is very difficult and very specific for each combination of hardware and software. But it is a very very powerful tool. I know of absolutely nothing even close to that!

Of course you have to find a way, to hide the VM for the drivers. The drivers will not (REALY NOT) work at all, if you skip this step. It does not even matter what version of driver inside of windows you are using. As far as I know every version is locked down in that way. Sadly noone else is posting anything about it. Maybe people are affraid of law/NVIDIA? Whatever.

I am also confused of your driver version. Was the Linux driver outdated or the Windows driver?

Whatever it is, try to update your drivers in Linux. Why are you talking about P106 anyway? Did you buy a mining card for that (the cards with no video out)? This will likely not work well. As far as I can tell, on windows you actually needed a modified driver for it to install as a GTX series video card. This gets even more difficult when inside of linux. If you cannot find a tutorial about that, you are likely lost.

Here is one very important lesson:

If you save 10-20% but have less features and no support, do not even bother. It is a waste of time and time just runs away. I make this mistake till today. But it still is a mistake.

This post will be better suited on a forum like phoronix... I mean you run an unsupported GPU via linux via emulators or what not obviously there are going to be issues this particular minercard has issues on its own when you run it on legit windows 

im highly confused. linux is my main os. waiting for wine updates, and photon ones isnt an issue normally. borderlands 3 is the only reason i wanted/needed this. even if it was through integrated. i wanted to play with a friend on low settings. as for my driver version, here. proof its supported. i know i have 385 selected but steam itself complains about "no lig-gl 32.so" and doesnt launch on 430. i heard of kvm from @HeartOfGermany but seams like a lot of work for literally just one game. i never planned to use a windows vm originally. so the card may as well been supported. i can use all versions in the picture with no issues at all, asside from that steam one i mentioned with 430, also some games work only on older drivers (like sonic dx) so i swap around. )and why did minecraft, and bioshock run laglessly in virtual box? i have a feeling its passing prime, but windows doesnt know how to handle it or gpu checks in game see the intel half of prime and think its not supported. and another thing. when i run bioshock2 the game notes "its highly unsupported" since card doesnt support dx then works.

oh and yes i tried plain wine and photon seperate. game instantly crashes. also when i play csgo in 4k on that linux system i get 60fps so i know works on host with any driver but 430 cause no launch of steam.Screenshot_from_2020-03-19_17-44-15.thumb.png.95ae39301c044f0dea496b0c4fd839f7.png

main rig:

backup

is 43 degrees at 100% gpu usage good, or do i need more fans?

main rig:

backup

On 3/19/2020 at 11:49 PM, Snowarch said:

is 43 degrees at 100% gpu usage good, or do i need more fans?

You are kidding, right? A reasonable GPU will no problem run 24/7 at 70 for 2 years or more.

About the proof, that it is supported: First of all: What are you waiting for? Why do you not update your Nvidia driver? This can in many circumstances lower some games performance by 50%. (Yeah, some older games over years doubled performance with updates) Also support could improofe.

And with a KVM virtual machine the GPU will likely not run without modding KVM. And as far as I can tell, KVM is the only good solution for virtualization on near 100% performance.

Nontheless: Please update your driver to the latest version and report, if this fixed your issue.

Edit: Overread the part with the missing gl file. This gl looks a bit like Open GL. And did you mean "libgl.so.1" ? If so, please remember, that the precise name can help the helpers in finding a solution. Also other peoples might want to find this thread later and that likely will not happen, if the names do not match.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2233005
This could be your solution. It sounds like that. Please report back.

@HeartOfGermany i did try with all the drivers. this one runs the best, qnd mskes no compromises. by compromises i mean like wonic dx wont run on the higher driver numbers. Direct X 11 games run great on 384. unless a game has a launcher, if they do a skip is needed half the time. for example sonic dx runs with launcher, saints row 4, and sonic adventure 2 i manually need to click the exe and close the launcher with kill command any driver. thats why i didnt update. aka ckick 418 where steam works okay. as for your suggestion, will try when can and say.

Glad my gpu temps are okay its not even a whisper loud.

main rig:

backup