First Home NAS/Plex/Steam Cache build need help

Sooooo... I decided to build my first NAS/Plex server/Steam cache storage thing and i need help.

The goal is to have a NAS where i can put my files like photos, videos, ecc; Plex server that is capable of streaming 1-2 1080p videos; Steam cache library so i dont need to redownload games every time i want to play older games, and if possible use the same concept for other game platforms and windows updates.

This is the hardware that i have laying around:

CPU: Ryzen 1600

Mobo: MSI Pc-Mate b350

HDD: external 3.5TB seagate hdd (i'm planning to shred the enclosure and just use it as an internal hdd)

PSU: idk which brand is it (maybe LC Power?) but it's 600w (the 120mm fan make some noise but i'm going to replace it)

GPU: i've got an asus 270x 2gb, a gigabyte 260x or 265 (i dont remember) windforce3 2gb(?), and a powercolor 5750 768mb 

I'm planning to buy:

1x Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM008 2TB 7200 RPM 256MB (i dont have much to spend right now, i'll buy more later/as needed)

1x Ballistix Sport LT Gray 4GB DDR4-2400mhz (it costs 20€ and it gets the system running)

1x Corsair Carbide 100R (it costs 50€, it's small enough to fit where i wnt to put the system, it has 4x3.5/2.5 and 2x5.25 and most impontartly my atx mobo fits inside)

Potential Build: 

CPU: Ryzen 1600

MOBO: MSI Pc-Mate b350

RAM: 1x 4GB Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400mhz

HDD: 1x 3.5TB seagate hdd

1x Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 

PSU: LC Power(?) 600w +fan mod

CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R

GPU: Asus 270x 2GB Direct CU2 Top 

Questions: 

1) What do you think about the hardware ?

2) I wanted to use the 270x to help plex media transcoding but i've read somewhere that amd gpus arent that stable/do not perform well with plex, can someone confirm this ?

3) I'm thinking to use ubuntu/ubuntu server as OS, any other OS i should consider ? (keep in mind that i basically dont know anything about GNU/linux)

4) Is it possible to have the entire storage shown as a single drive without having to set up a raid ?  

5) How does steam cache file management works ? I mean can it put games on different drives or i just point a folder and all the games get stored there ?

6) Down the line i'll be upgrading this NAS with more hdd, is there a method to have a raid 5 or raid 1 and add more drives to that raid ?

Thanks for the help 

23 minutes ago, piromane666 said:

1x Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM008 2TB 7200 RPM 256MB (i dont have much to spend right now, i'll buy more later/as needed)

Id get a different drive if you can. The 8tb shucked drives are a much better value, and those are smr aswell. Id just wait to get the second drive.

24 minutes ago, piromane666 said:

2) I wanted to use the 270x to help plex media transcoding but i've read somewhere that amd gpus arent that stable/do not perform well with plex, can someone confirm this ?

Don't bother, the cpu will be more than enough for your plex needs.

24 minutes ago, piromane666 said:

3) I'm thinking to use ubuntu/ubuntu server as OS, any other OS i should consider ? (keep in mind that i basically dont know anything about GNU/linux)

Ubuntu will work fine. Unraid has a nice web gui if you want that well.

25 minutes ago, piromane666 said:

5) How does steam cache file management works ? I mean can it put games on different drives or i just point a folder and all the games get stored there ?

Lan cache just makes it so that you download from the server instead of their servers, works like any other download.

You can also put the games directly on a network share, that would work like any other hdd.

26 minutes ago, piromane666 said:

6) Down the line i'll be upgrading this NAS with more hdd, is there a method to have a raid 5 or raid 1 and add more drives to that raid ?

Yea you can depends on how you setup the drives. Lots of options for this in linux.

Id also get a ssd for boot.

49 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id get a different drive if you can. The 8tb shucked drives are a much better value, and those are smr aswell. Id just wait to get the second drive.

You mean this ? It costs a fortune here ... 8tb costs close to 270€, 4tb costs around 130/140€ 

Don't bother, the cpu will be more than enough for your plex needs.

Ok so i'll put the 5750 just to have a video output then

Ubuntu will work fine. Unraid has a nice web gui if you want that well.

I don't want to pay for unraid just to have a web gui, was thinking on using some remote desktop program 

Lan cache just makes it so that you download from the server instead of their servers, works like any other download.

Ok i get it, but how does it work on the (my)server side ? do i just point a folder on my server and all the game cache goes there or can i point a folder for each game cache ? or does it store where there's space?

Id also get a ssd for boot.

What's the point in doing that ? i mean once the system is up and runing i dont plan to turn it off.  

38 minutes ago, piromane666 said:

You mean this ? It costs a fortune here ... 8tb costs close to 270€, 4tb costs around 130/140€ 

Naw, Id get something like this https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-STEB8000100/dp/B01HAPGEIE/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=8tb+external+drive&qid=1584291119&s=electronics&sr=1-3

Idk how much its in your area.

38 minutes ago, piromane666 said:

I don't want to pay for unraid just to have a web gui, was thinking on using some remote desktop program 

unraid also gets you a nice disk pooling softare.

But if your juse using ubuntu or anouther linux distro just ssh in.

39 minutes ago, piromane666 said:

Ok i get it, but how does it work on the (my)server side ? do i just point a folder on my server and all the game cache goes there or can i point a folder for each game cache ? or does it store where there's space?

You set the dns to the lan cache server, then when you download a game it goes to your download cache, instead of the normal download server.

39 minutes ago, piromane666 said:

What's the point in doing that ? i mean once the system is up and runing i dont plan to turn it off.  

Things like updates are much faster, more reliable, your storage drive isn't a boot drive, more reliable. Lots of reasons and there super cheap so no reason not to.

54 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

It costs around 180€ here; but it's an external solution, i wanted  an internal hdd so i can have all inside the case and save space, are you suggesting that i take the drive off the enclosure and use it as a normal internal hdd ?

58 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You set the dns to the lan cache server, then when you download a game it goes to your download cache, instead of the normal download server.

The part i dont get is where the cache it is stored in my server...in a folder that i decide ? and if yes, can i decide to store it in multiple drives ?

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Things like updates are much faster, more reliable, your storage drive isn't a boot drive, more reliable. Lots of reasons and there super cheap so no reason not to.

Yeah you're right, i didnt think about updates and boot drive, plus i've already got one that i use as a scratch disk...

thanks!

t costs around 180€ here; but it's an external solution, i wanted  an internal hdd so i can have all inside the case and save space, are you suggesting that i take the drive off the enclosure and use it as a normal internal hdd ?

Yea just take it out of its case anduse it as a normal hdd

The part i dont get is where the cache it is stored in my server...in a folder that i decide ? and if yes, can i decide to store it in multiple drives ?

Normally you use docker to run lancache, then point it to a folder where you want it to store the files.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea just take it out of its case anduse it as a normal hdd

Normally you use docker to run lancache, then point it to a folder where you want it to store the files.

ok got it thanks!