Oculus development kit 2 in 2020

Legolessed

Basically, I have been looking for vr headsets for a while now and one that has caught my eye that has become fairly cheap recently is the Oculus development kit 2 headset. I know this VR headset is quite old but I was wondering if it would still be a good budget headset to play Minecraft vr and maybe draw with. Also if it does work with Minecraft (vivecraft) does the development kit have specific controllers it's compatible with or is it done through my computer or how does that work? Sorry I'm very new to this. 

Thank you so much!

The DK2 is very old at this point and I don't believe it's supported by current oculus software any longer.  You can still find the legacy drivers on oculus's site but I can't speak to compatibility with any current software at this point. The DK2 never came with controllers although some people were using it with the Razer Hydra back in the day.

Unless you are getting it for free I'd recommend looking for a used or refurbished windows mixed reality headset with controllers.  The best one (besides the current HP Reverb) was the Samsung Odyssey but any of the WMR headsets will provide a much better experience than a DK2 and are still supported by current windows drivers and steam.

You will need Bluetooth V4 or greater built into the Mobo or via a USB dongle to pair the controllers.

An Oculus CV1 with touch controllers and a least 2 cameras would also be a good option if you can find it cheap but replacement cables are discontinued so take very good care of the cable or the headset is useless. 

Im getting it for basically free, its a long story. So i was thinking of maybe buying psmove controllers to go with it if I could or wiimotes or whatever would make it work. It was more of a like, is this possible kind of thing. Sorry I know this is a weird question.

On 3/13/2020 at 5:20 PM, Legolessed said:

Im getting it for basically free, its a long story. So i was thinking of maybe buying psmove controllers to go with it if I could or wiimotes or whatever would make it work. It was more of a like, is this possible kind of thing. Sorry I know this is a weird question.

I believe there are 3rd party drivers and applications that may get a dk2 working with an alternate set of controllers in steam but it will require a bunch of tweaking on your part and game functionality may be more miss that hit since you will be missing inputs on the controllers that the games expect to see.

If the hardware is free and you have the time, give it a go and see what happens.