Uninstalling Ubuntu

Bruno_A

Hi all,

I am dual booting WIndows 10 with Ubuntu, and I use the Linux grub bootloader to get into Windows. I have done this before, and if I delete the partition where Linux is installed, I will not be able to boot back into Windows. Doing the 'bootrec' commands won't fix it, and I will still get a grub error screen when trying to boot the SSD. Is there a way of 'properly' removing Linux and be able to boot back into Windows 10, just as I was before installing Linux alongside it? My XPS 13 has major screen issues with Linux, and therefore, I can't use it, unfortunately. I have not found a fix for it, despite many people with the same laptop complaining about it.

Many thanks,

Bruno.

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

if they were installed using UEFI you should be able to bypass grub by selecting "Windows Boot Manager" in the boot options in your bios. 

She/Her

From my experience the BIOS Boot menu will show you boot options for both the Ubuntu and Windows partitions. If you delete the Ubuntu partition Windows should still appear as a bootable partition in the BIOS. You can select it and boot to it directly from there.

Just now, Bitter said:

Have you tried boot repair with the windows install media?

Yes, didn't fix it. I totally forgot about this issue, and deleted the Linux partition. I then installed Linux again, so I could access Windows. My XPS 13 has major screen issues with Linux, and therefore, I can't use it, unfortunately. I have not found a fix for it, despite many people with the same laptop complaining about it.

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

6 minutes ago, Twilight said:

if they were installed using UEFI you should be able to bypass grub by selecting "Windows Boot Manager" in the boot options in your bios. 

I never thought of that. I deleted the Linux partition, and the Linux boot entry from the BIOS. Done, thanks a lot.

7 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

From my experience the BIOS Boot menu will show you boot options for both the Ubuntu and Windows partitions. If you delete the Ubuntu partition Windows should still appear as a bootable partition in the BIOS. You can select it and boot to it directly from there.

Thanks for this. I sorted it, now.