Ouch, Facebook breaks privacy law, up to (Probably not) $529BN fine

TechCrunch

The Guardian

Australia’s privacy watchdog is suing Facebook  over the Cambridge Analytica data breach — which, back in 2018, became a global scandal that wiped billions off the tech giant’s share price yet only led to Facebook picking up a $5BN FTC fine.

Australia privacy watchdog is suing facebook over the over the Cambridge Analytica data breach

Australia’s Privacy Act sets out a provision for a civil penalty of up to $1,700,000 to be levied per contravention — and the national watchdog believes there were 311,074 local Facebook users in the cache of ~86M profiles lifted by Cambridge Analytica . So the potential fine here is circa $529BN. (A very far cry from the £500k Facebook paid in the UK over the same data misuse scandal.)

Yeah look id doubt it would be that much

The suit alleges the personal data of Australian Facebook users was disclosed to the This is Your Digital Life app for a purpose other than that for which it was collected — thereby breaching Australia’s Privacy Act 1988. It further claims the data was exposed to the risk of being disclosed to Cambridge Analytica and used for political profiling purposes, and passed to other third parties.

Who would've guessed

The OAIC says in its court filing that the design of Facebook made it so that users were unable to consent or control over how their data was disclosed, and to date, Facebook has not been able to tell the OAIC which Australian users were affected.

Who would've guessed

According to the court documents, Cambridge Analytica provided written confirmation in January 2016 that all users’ personal information obtained through the app had been deleted, but the company did not take any independent steps to ensure the data had been deleted or destroyed.

if true, WHO WOULD'VE GUESSED

All I have to say to Facebook is ouch. Though surely we can guess whats actually gonna be paid right?

✨FNIGE✨

I hope they still end up paying triple digits. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I hope it's enough combined with monitored future privacy obligations to see them and others pull their heads in quick smart.

Also as an Australian, sorry for my private data being used to help trump win.   ?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 hours ago, SlimyPython said:

Though surely we can guess whats actually gonna be paid right?

the full amount, our government has the habit of blocking websites (i only have to say argg for u to know which one), i'm sure they will do it to Facebook, which facebook will care about since 25 million people is 25 million objects to bombard ad's with.

not only that other websites and services run on facebook's infrastructure (e.g ad's, tracking, etc), which makes marky boi a good amount of cash (not as much as data harvesting and selling but enough for them to ensure that it reaches all 4 corners of the globe)

to take this down would cripple other company's, which would stop using facebook's services, which would stop making marky boi extremely wet at the amount of cash in his bank account.

you are better off paying it and hoping that your tax evasion in off shore accounts would help soften the blow.

i've been waiting for years for this, my luck has always fucked me over with this kind of shit, i hope to whatever deity is out there that this takes them the fuck down.

i couldn't care less if it's fucking Ryuk from Death god or the might of Zeus.

i would convert to whatever religion if their god did this and renounce my life of science and logic! (which has been apart of me since the day i had the fucking brainpower to cobble together cohesive actions and thoughts (basically since i was a baby))

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

I couldn't care any less if Facebook bankrupts and disappears. Only problem might be that Google would then buy it and continue this cancer...

Facebank should implode, causing a catastrophic failure amongst all the ad exploiting twats.

That said I do like watching videos of animals on there ?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I can't see any situation where FB will pay anywhere close to the stated maximum fine. It's half of what the company is worth (if I haven't got my AU$ to US$ exchange rates mixed up). They will do whatever it takes to reduce that, even if it means cutting off Australia.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible