New cpu bricks my system

So i have this problem with my pc, it worked fine until i replaced the cpu and thermal paste put the cooler back on. Plugged everything back in, the system starts and says new cpu installed, press f1 to go into the setup. So far pretty normal. I didn't change any settings, i selected the device it had to boot and than i saw the asus logo on screen and windows saying preparing automatic repair, after about 5 seconds or so the screen turns black and the system restarts?! And again and again etc untill you press the powerbutton. Then i tryed putting in a bootable windows 10 installer usb the same story, bios of my mobo is fully updated to the latest version. Does anyone have an idea of how to fix? Please let me know. 

7 minutes ago, Gamer02032003 said:

So i have this problem with my pc, it worked fine until i replaced the cpu and thermal paste put the cooler back on. Plugged everything back in, the system starts and says new cpu installed, press f1 to go into the setup. So far pretty normal. I didn't change any settings, i selected the device it had to boot and than i saw the asus logo on screen and windows saying preparing automatic repair, after about 5 seconds or so the screen turns black and the system restarts?! And again and again etc untill you press the powerbutton. Then i tryed putting in a bootable windows 10 installer usb the same story, bios of my mobo is fully updated to the latest version. Does anyone have an idea of how to fix? Please let me know. 

Make sure that your cpu is seated in the socket correctly as well as your memory, try to boot with 1 stick of ram and see if that works. Also what cpu ram and motherboard are you using. As a general rule it is a good idea to do a clean install of windows when upgrading components to avoid any driver issues etc but remeber to back up any important data first!

Hope this helps

I don't think that will help you but you can check if the thermal paste is applied correctly.

I had a similar problem but with my gpu, the thermal paste wasn't applied correctly so while gaming my monitor was losing signal

Could you need a BIOS update ?  

Just a suggestion

21 minutes ago, digitaldoughnut said:

Make sure that your cpu is seated in the socket correctly as well as your memory, try to boot with 1 stick of ram and see if that works. Also what cpu ram and motherboard are you using. As a general rule it is a good idea to do a clean install of windows when upgrading components to avoid any driver issues etc but remeber to back up any important data first!

Hope this helps

Thanks for your reply tommorrow i will test all this, as i try to clean install windows it also boot cycles. 

14 minutes ago, Zmax said:

Could you need a BIOS update ?  

Just a suggestion

My bios is fully up to date but i am moving form an i5 3470 to an i7 2600k for extra threads

20 minutes ago, Ozzy12 said:

I don't think that will help you but you can check if the thermal paste is applied correctly.

I had a similar problem but with my gpu, the thermal paste wasn't applied correctly so while gaming my monitor was losing signal

I will try to reapply thermal paste and cooler thx

My specs are 

Asus p8h61-i r2.0 

8 gb ram 2x4 gb crusial 1666mhz 

I7 2600k 

Rx Vega 56

Coolermaster master wat lite 600 watt psu

Two kinston ssd 120&240 gb

Because i am moving down one generation (from ivy bridge to sandy bridge) would that require a downgrade in bios? 

50 minutes ago, Gamer02032003 said:

Thanks for your reply tommorrow i will test all this, as i try to clean install windows it also boot cycles. 

alright, good luck. Also no you wont need to downgrade the bios version. Just to rule it out, unplug and then reconnect your 24pin and 4/8pin power plugs to make sure that they are connected properly it most likely wont do anything but is always worth a shot.

and please remeber to backup any documents or save game files etc before reinstalling windows!

If it goes to windows then there is probably chipset driver issues in the OS rather than any hardware issue. Fresh windows install will fix it.

alright thanks everyone for there responses i will try to reinstall windows, will keep y'all posted

8 hours ago, lafrente said:

If it goes to windows then there is probably chipset driver issues in the OS rather than any hardware issue. Fresh windows install will fix it.

@Gamer02032003

But it is the same mainboard as before, if I understand it correctly? Then there shouldn't be any problem.

Did you run memtest86? You may try to boot with smt/ht disabled. 

if i try any usb windows installer it gives me a bluescreen

I am going to try a differemt board i at the moment have two of the same asus boards now when i put the cpu in either one of them is doesnt work im thinking that the motherboard doesnt supply enough power to the cpu or the chipset is failing or something does anyone have a suggestion for mobo z77 or z68? 

20 hours ago, Sir0Tek said:

@Gamer02032003

But it is the same mainboard as before, if I understand it correctly? Then there shouldn't be any problem.

Did you run memtest86? You may try to boot with smt/ht disabled. 

I tried dissabeling hyperthreading fully didnt work

4 minutes ago, Gamer02032003 said:

I tried dissabeling hyperthreading fully didnt work

Weird. You may clean the cpus contact array, check the socket. I don't think the cpu is refusing to work due to not getting enough power by the mainboard; unless the psu is faulty.

6 hours ago, Sir0Tek said:

Weird. You may clean the cpus contact array, check the socket. I don't think the cpu is refusing to work due to not getting enough power by the mainboard; unless the psu is faulty.

i tried two different board right now two of the same asus boards, i don't have another lga 1155 board on hand. I have tried two different powersupplies so i don't know. Now one thing to note is that both of these board were pulled from some old pc's, both work with my i5 3470, only with the i7 they don't work.

Where did you get the i7? Could be faulty...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

20 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Where did you get the i7? Could be faulty...

I got it from someone who said it worked. Now i can get into the bios and it detects the i7 and all the other components. when is start the pc i get a message that the boot device is not supported when no boot device is connected.

2 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Whenever you install Windows it loads a set of files for the CPU present at the moment of the install, if you replace it the OS will still try to load those files looking for the CPU that isn't there anymore.

That's irrelevant, he can't even run the installer which uses nothing from his existing install. So there must be something else at play.

Definitely clear CMOS though.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

36 minutes ago, Caroline said:

It's not the CPU or a physical issue.

Whenever you install Windows it loads a set of files for the CPU present at the moment of the install, if you replace it the OS will still try to load those files looking for the CPU that isn't there anymore.

Before doing anything clear CMOS then head into the BIOS setup again and only set the ATA interface mode to AHCI and set the boot order to #1 removable dev. #2 hard drive

Ata interface on stock is set to ahci, i changed the boot order to #1 usb but the same issue

28 minutes ago, Caroline said:

The AHCI setting definitely gave me headaches before when trying to install Windows

Also the ARMD setting but I doubt that's still present in modern mobos

No armd setting indeed

Update: i have cleared cmos it boots and says new cpu installed press F1 to enter setup, which is normal but when i try booting the windows 10 usb it doesnt work.

• 2 weeks later...

Update : i have thrown my whole system out of the window and just bought a ryzen 5 2600 with mobo and ram, problem solved😃