Cant ping my VM

Im trying to set up a steam cache server on a vm. But i cant ping the vm machine from my main computer. Whats wrong? The vm can connect to the internet on its own, but i cant ping it locally

Im using hyper-v as  virutalization.

I have 2 vms running.

1 is running pihole.

2 (trying to run steamcache) - but i cant even ping it.... :( the dns on the steamcache is the pihole dns. Didnt help to change it to 1.1.1.1

Both are using the same viritual internet switch - is that the problem? 

The Steamcache IP shows up in router

image.png.faa1f4e459f2ae2d9b6dcd7b2181ad97.png

image.png.5abdddba145630397def2375465c6f9b.png

image.png.540946f5b075d45ec32d4a823d6e358d.png

i9-9900k 5.0ghz, 16gb Corsair 3600mhz, Asrock phantom itx z390 Mobo, RTX 3060ti, 1TB+1TB Western digital NVME, InWin A1, Noctua NH-U12S

Make sure your VM is not using bridged mode (using your main machines internet access) but that it's registering as a distinct device in your network

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

Just now, myselfolli said:

Make sure your VM is not using bridged mode (using your main machines internet access) but that it's registering as a distinct device in your network

How do i check that ?

i9-9900k 5.0ghz, 16gb Corsair 3600mhz, Asrock phantom itx z390 Mobo, RTX 3060ti, 1TB+1TB Western digital NVME, InWin A1, Noctua NH-U12S

I'm not familiar with Hyper-V as a virtualization software, so I can't help you there specifically, sorry

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

3 minutes ago, myselfolli said:

I'm not familiar with Hyper-V as a virtualization software, so I can't help you there specifically, sorry

image.png.c1b26a3c04d84defe3b5b7c051db5114.pngAre you thinking about theese adapters? I cant create more than one (the pi-hole one) 

1 hour ago, myselfolli said:

Been a while since I setup a bridged adapter on Hyper-V but IIRC this is exactly what I needed to communicate directly with my Hyper-V VMs. Are you sure that's correct? The typical options are NAT or Bridged Mode.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Been a while since I setup a bridged adapter on Hyper-V but IIRC this is exactly what I needed to contaminate directly with my Hyper-V VMs. Are you sure that's correct? The typical options are NAT or Bridged Mode.

Im kinda new in the VM and linux game, i have no idea what you guys are talking about.

image.png.6e7e4c05065888328ce9f0a0b41374e7.png

3 minutes ago, T0MMEN said:

Im kinda new in the VM and linux game, i have no idea what you guys are talking about.

It's been a while since I've setup a VM on Hyper-V to communicate with the local network but the default configuration did not allow it IIRC. What OS did you install in the VM? Version too.

If nobody has an answer for you by the time I'm free'd up today I'll set this up myself on my Hyper-V install and figure it out again.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

It's been a while since I've setup a VM on Hyper-V to communicate with the local network but the default configuration did not allow it IIRC. What OS did you install in the VM? Version too.

If nobody has an answer for you by the time I'm free'd up today I'll set this up myself on my Hyper-V install and figure it out again.

Ubuntu 18.04.4

I was able to ping my ubuntu server when i set the IP automaticly, and not static. But the whole point is to have 3 static IPs for my caching server.

Edit im now doing a clean install of ubuntu

Clean install didnt help, when i try to set static ip, i lose network :/

1 hour ago, T0MMEN said:

Ubuntu 18.04.4

I was able to ping my ubuntu server when i set the IP automaticly, and not static. But the whole point is to have 3 static IPs for my caching server.

Edit im now doing a clean install of ubuntu

Clean install didnt help, when i try to set static ip, i lose network :/

What IP/Subnet Mask does DHCP give the VM?

What IP/Subnet Mask are you trying to statically assign?

Are you setting the Static IP during OS installation or after? Current releases of Ubuntu Server use netplan. This requires some configuration to get it going right if you're setting an IP post-installation.

55 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

What IP/Subnet Mask does DHCP give the VM?

What IP/Subnet Mask are you trying to statically assign?

Are you setting the Static IP during OS installation or after? Current releases of Ubuntu Server use netplan. This requires some configuration to get it going right if you're setting an IP post-installation.

What IP/Subnet Mask does DHCP give the VM? - I have no idea. I dont know where i could find something like that.

Im trying to set ip after install.

192.168.50.237 - 238 - 239 are the ips im tring to set

subnet 255.255.255.255 

I saw linus setting static ips like no business on his steamcache video, why wouldnt it work on me ? 

2 hours ago, T0MMEN said:

I was able to ping my ubuntu server when i set the IP automaticly

3 minutes ago, T0MMEN said:

What IP/Subnet Mask does DHCP give the VM? - I have no idea. I dont know where i could find something like that.

*confusion intensifies*

How did you ping the VM if you don't know how to find it's IP?

5 minutes ago, T0MMEN said:

192.168.50.237 - 238 - 239 are the ips im tring to set

subnet 255.255.255.255 

Well right there's part of your problem. You set all network bits with no host bits. Basically networks that can't have any clients. Usually you want /24 which would be 255.255.255.0

7 minutes ago, T0MMEN said:

I saw linus setting static ips like no business on his steamcache video, why wouldnt it work on me ?

I'm willing to bet the videos don't always tell the whole picture. Anthony, Linus, and any others who worked on the setup of the steamcache likely ran into their own issues. They just worked out the kinks prior to making the video so you didn't see them.

11 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

*confusion intensifies*

How did you ping the VM if you don't know how to find it's IP?

Well right there's part of your problem. You set all network bits with no host bits. Basically networks that can't have any clients. Usually you want /24 which would be 255.255.255.0

I'm willing to bet the videos don't always tell the whole picture. Anthony, Linus, and any others who worked on the setup of the steamcache likely ran into their own issues. They just worked out the kinks prior to making the video so you didn't see them.

But all the tutorials tell me to use /32 and not /24

I find the Ip by going to the wired connection tab in ubuntu, and go from there.

and use command nmtui to configuer static ips.

Im now able to ping the ubuntu server. I have no idea what i did to make it work. Now im going to try and make the steam cache server....

5 minutes ago, T0MMEN said:

But all the tutorials tell me to use /32 and not /24

I find the Ip by going to the wired connection tab in ubuntu, and go from there.

and use command nmtui to configuer static ips.

Im now able to ping the ubuntu server. I have no idea what i did to make it work. Now im going to try and make the steam cache server....

I'm not 100% certain how the steamcache works. If it's a broadcast then /32 does make sense it just doesn't to me on the primary interface. I'd have to read into the guide.

This should also work:

ip a

Magically working now? Gotta love technology. If you need help with the steam cache configuration itself I'm not going to be of much help. Out of my field of expertise. If you have other network problems though let me know.

33 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I'm not 100% certain how the steamcache works. If it's a broadcast then /32 does make sense it just doesn't to me on the primary interface. I'd have to read into the guide.

This should also work:

ip a

Magically working now? Gotta love technology. If you need help with the steam cache configuration itself I'm not going to be of much help. Out of my field of expertise. If you have other network problems though let me know.

Now its not working anymore :( When i installed docker, and the steamcache containers. Not able to ping the ubuntu server. Uhhgh.

edit: ubuntu adds /24 automaticly when i check in nmtui

@NinJake Yes

8 minutes ago, T0MMEN said:

Now its not working anymore :( When i installed docker, and the steamcache containers. Not able to ping the ubuntu server. Uhhgh.

edit: ubuntu adds /24 automaticly when i check in nmtui

What network does your DHCP server broadcast?

Are you able to provide us the guide you're referring to? I'm wondering why you don't just keep a /24 and statically assign it that way.

It automaticly sets the netmask to 255.255.255.255 - i though 255.255.255.0 is the standard?

image.thumb.png.94dd656369753733bd520f1eb5fd2f20.png

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

Are you able to provide us the guide you're referring to? I'm wondering why you don't just keep a /24 and statically assign it that way.

and

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

What network does your DHCP server broadcast?

i dont really know what dhcp is :/

As it states in the LTT written guide, make sure no devices are utilizing the IP's you're trying to statically assign.

DHCP automatically detects and provides IP addresses to devices. While the DHCP radio button is selected, open up a terminal and type in "ifconfig" and post a screenshot of your info.

2 minutes ago, T0MMEN said:

i dont really know what dhcp is :/

Does your router hand out IP addresses that look like 192.168.50.X?

Looking at the guide it does state /32 subnet but at the same time it's an optional step. Do you plan on caching services other than steam?

13 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Does your router hand out IP addresses that look like 192.168.50.X?

Looking at the guide it does state /32 subnet but at the same time it's an optional step. Do you plan on caching services other than steam?

Yes, origin and battlenet. Yes it gives out ips like that