Does anyone know Best Buy's return policy for CPUs?

First I'd like to say that I'm not looking to bin a bunch of different CPUs.  ie I'm not looking to buy a bunch of CPUs to test and then keep the best one.  I'm only looking to buy one.

What I'm not sure of is whether the CPU will fill the hole in my heart.  At least temporarily.  I guess you could say that I'm an addict in that I use things as distractions.  So in the event a new CPU isn't a suitable drug then I'd like to know I could return it to Best Buy.  

So does anyone know what Best Buy's return policy is on an opened and used CPU that isn't defective just simply no longer wanted?  And yes -- I've read their return policy online.  I guess I could call them, but I'd rather not.  My hope is to hear from someone that's actually done it before.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

If it's purchased from Best Buy's website and sold by Best Buy, the store's return policy applies. They have a pretty freaking restrictive policy including a 15-day window, lots of wiggle room for a store that doesn't want to take it back, and the ability for restocking fees to be added. If it's purchased on their website from a third-party seller, that third-party's rules apply and Best Buy will not intervene.

Basically, there is zero reason to buy from Best Buy instead of buying from Amazon and having a 30-day window or driving to a Micro Center and having only 15 days, but a store staff that literally will let you return anything as long as it's not damaged.

One additional consideration if this sort of thing bothers you: if you return anything from Best Buy in-store, you will be required to hand them your driver's license so they can scan it and enter every piece of info from it into a third-party system that tracks your returns across a large number of participating retailers nationwide. If a third-party having all the info from and an image of your driver's license bothers you, then do what I do and don't give money to Best Buy. Or Home Depot. Or Dick's Sporting Goods. Or CVS. Google "The Retail Equation". And if you refuse to hand them your ID? Sorry, no returns.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

-snip-

I know about the 15 day window I just didn't see any restrictions specific to CPUs and didn't want to assume that it not being listed means it does not exist.  

And while I'd almost always buy from Amazon -- I wouldn't want to return an item like a CPU to Amazon in the event they found a reason to decline a refund.  I'd rather remain in physical possession of the CPU throughout any possible return process until the point I surrender it for said refund.  I also have no local Micro Center.  

And I know about the id for returns.  But I appreciate the reason for which you brought it up.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Just now, nick name said:

I know about the 15 day window I just didn't see any restrictions specific to CPUs and didn't want to assume that it not being listed means it does not exist.  

And while I'd almost always buy from Amazon -- I wouldn't want to return an item like a CPU to Amazon in the event they found a reason to decline a refund.  I'd rather remain in physical possession of the CPU throughout any possible return process until the point I surrender it for said refund.  I also have no local Micro Center.  

And I know about the id for returns.  But I appreciate the reason for which you brought it up.  

I've never had Amazon deny a return, and that's over 20-ish years of shopping with them. They basically just throw everything that isn't obvious trash into the Amazon Warehouse pile, and everything that obviously is goes to the pallet liquidators to be schlepped auctioned off to a bunch of idiots resellers who get all their information from scumbag YouTubers who get huge discounts on cherry-picked pallets in return for falsely inflating values and lying about margins per pallet individuals with years of experience that they honestly pass on to the viewer.

But I digress. If you're going the Best Buy route, I think the best thing to do would be to go into the store you'd be returning the CPU to, then tell them that you're going to build your own gaming PC and just ask for their advice on the parts you've chosen. When you get around to the CPU, tell them what you're thinking of, then ask what aisle they keep their CPUs on. When they say they're not in-store items, get concerned and ask what happens if you end up having to return it. It's a fair question, and you've gotten to it in a way that doesn't make anyone feel like you're planning on returning it.

10 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I've never had Amazon deny a return, and that's over 20-ish years of shopping with them. They basically just throw everything that isn't obvious trash into the Amazon Warehouse pile, and everything that obviously is goes to the pallet liquidators to be schlepped auctioned off to a bunch of idiots resellers who get all their information from scumbag YouTubers who get huge discounts on cherry-picked pallets in return for falsely inflating values and lying about margins per pallet individuals with years of experience that they honestly pass on to the viewer.

But I digress. If you're going the Best Buy route, I think the best thing to do would be to go into the store you'd be returning the CPU to, then tell them that you're going to build your own gaming PC and just ask for their advice on the parts you've chosen. When you get around to the CPU, tell them what you're thinking of, then ask what aisle they keep their CPUs on. When they say they're not in-store items, get concerned and ask what happens if you end up having to return it. It's a fair question, and you've gotten to it in a way that doesn't make anyone feel like you're planning on returning it.

I like you. 

Ive returned a cpu to best buy before and its very simple.

Just go to customer service tell them its not performing like you expected and they will give you the money back.

Its a 15 Day Window I believe Unless your an Elite Member then its 30 Days. You can return it for any reason so long as its clean and not damaged in any way. I have done this in the past for multiple things. Also keep in mind they will price match Anything Sold and Shipped by Newegg or Amazon. There is no restocking fee unless it has to be ordered.

@aisle9 Well Amazon was out of stock, but because of you I was made aware of a lower price that Best Buy price matched.  So thank you for that.  

1 hour ago, nick name said:

@aisle9 Well Amazon was out of stock, but because of you I was made aware of a lower price that Best Buy price matched.  So thank you for that.  

lol congrats, enjoy the new rig 

8 hours ago, aisle9 said:

lol congrats, enjoy the new rig 

Hopefully I will.  I was also toying with the idea of a 3700X, but the 3900X came down to $419 and that makes the price per core the same or cheaper than the 3700X.  

I've purchased entire pc's from bestbuy and returned them based on the fact that "its broken" and they just credit your card like alrighty

Their return policy (and application of it) sucks and is very inconsistent store to store.  I do everything possible to avoid large purchases there.

CPU || Ryzen 2700x @ 4.3ghz  Motherboard || ROG Strix B450F  RAM || 16GB TridentZ 3600 B-Die  GPU || ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti  Case || Thermaltake V71 RGB  Storage || Intel 760p 240GB + Intel 535 480GB SSD + 1TB WD 7200RPM HDD  PSU || Corsair HX850i  Cooling || Corsair H110i GTX  Keyboard || Corsair K70  Mouse || Logitech G502 Proteus  Sound || Bose Companion 5  Operating System || Windows 10 Pro

In the 2 weeks you bought a CPU, you can return it if its damaged.

best buys return policy site

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/help-topics/return-exchange-policy/pcmcat260800050014.c?id=pcmcat260800050014

you can only get the best buy elite and elite plus if you spend $1500 and $3500 in best buy every year so you the average person its not worth it.

Edited by tdkid
new info

Don't take returning things to Amazon for granted. I don't like blind loyalty to any site myself, but Amazon can close an account if you return too much (whether frequency or monetary value) as well as ban you I believe. It has happened. Further, if you are talking Amazon, I don't think someone going on about how Best Buy takes your info, when Amazon does the same.

On 3/8/2020 at 3:01 PM, nick name said:

19 minutes ago, tdkid said:

best buys return policy site

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/help-topics/return-exchange-policy/pcmcat260800050014.c?id=pcmcat260800050014

you can only get the best buy elite and elite plus if you spend $1500 and $3500 in best buy every year so you the average person its not worth it.

I read the return policy.  

I figured as your first post was yesterday but just giving it to those that haven't read it

Just now, tdkid said:

I figured as your first post was yesterday but just giving it to those that haven't read it

I can appreciate that.

• 1 year later...

I just walked in and returned a low rated SP 12900k, no request for drivers license or anything. They did ask if anything wrong, told them it had a low SP rating for overclocking. They said ok, refunded right back to my credit card. Im in Massachusetts. (I had ordered 2 and kept the better SP rated Cpu)