Dual monitors?

mikestrong88

Hey everyone 

Currently running a rig with a 2060 super and a single 1080p 144hz monitor and almost every game is locked in at the 144hz which is perfect. 

I'm thinking of getting a second monitor and running my games extended across both monitors. 

Will running the second monitor put a huge demand on my GPU to where I may drop a large number of fps? A small reduction doesn't bother me, but if it halved it for example then I'd rethink what I wanted to do. 

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

No, you'll be fine.

Sweet. I wasn't sure if driving that extra monitor might suck up some of the power and I'd end up with shit fps 

Just now, mikestrong88 said:

Sweet. I wasn't sure if driving that extra monitor might suck up some of the power and I'd end up with shit fps 

If it did, I would be 200% screwed lol

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

If it did, I would be 200% screwed lol

Haha, that doesn't sound fun. By the way you seem to be one of the first to help with all of my issues, much appreciated! 

17 minutes ago, mikestrong88 said:

Hey everyone 

Currently running a rig with a 2060 super and a single 1080p 144hz monitor and almost every game is locked in at the 144hz which is perfect. 

I'm thinking of getting a second monitor and running my games extended across both monitors. 

Will running the second monitor put a huge demand on my GPU to where I may drop a large number of fps? A small reduction doesn't bother me, but if it halved it for example then I'd rethink what I wanted to do. 

Are you going to run the game on both monitor, or run the game on one monitor and have the other just have Discord or something?

Because if you are just going to have something like Discord on it, this will have a minimal influence on fps. Temperatures might increase by a bit, but not much.

Running a YouTube video, especially something at high resolution, fps or both, may decrease fps. But it depends.

If you're planning to run the game on two monitors (stretch the game to two displays), you would get lower fps, by quite a bit, because there is simply more to render.

But a game on two screens doesn't make much sense, since (for example in a shooter game) your crosshair would be on the edge between the two monitors, since it tries to center it between the two.

That wouldn't make for a pleasant game scenario and would lower fps.

So it depends on what you are going to do.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

9 minutes ago, minibois said:

^ Yep, I misread the OP.

My posts were regarding gaming on the one screen and using the other for multitasking.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

16 minutes ago, minibois said:

Are you going to run the game on both monitor, or run the game on one monitor and have the other just have Discord or something?

Because if you are just going to have something like Discord on it, this will have a minimal influence on fps. Temperatures might increase by a bit, but not much.

Running a YouTube video, especially something at high resolution, fps or both, may decrease fps. But it depends.

If you're planning to run the game on two monitors (stretch the game to two displays), you would get lower fps, by quite a bit, because there is simply more to render.

But a game on two screens doesn't make much sense, since (for example in a shooter game) your crosshair would be on the edge between the two monitors, since it tries to center it between the two.

That wouldn't make for a pleasant game scenario and would lower fps.

So it depends on what you are going to do.

Yeah I was thinking a game stretched across both monitors. The monitor I have (and will get) have barely any bezel so I was hoping it wouldn't have too much of an effect. But you'd recommend against it? 

Basically I was looking for a more immersive effect as I have a curved monitor now. It's the MSI MAG271C. 

Shows this on the product page, but obviously 3 monitors. Would 2 be crappy? 

Screenshot_20200306-224024_Chrome.jpg

The issue with gaming on dual monitors is you'll always have that gap in the middle, so anything with a central focus (like an FPS) might not be quite so fun as on a single or triple setup.  With the game stretch across all screens, it will take a larger toll on your graphics card since it's filling twice as many pixels, so you might have to turn a few settings down somewhat to keep running at 144Hz.

5 minutes ago, mikestrong88 said:

Yeah I was thinking a game stretched across both monitors. The monitor I have (and will get) have barely any bezel so I was hoping it wouldn't have too much of an effect. But you'd recommend against it? 

Basically I was looking for a more immersive effect as I have a curved monitor now. It's the MSI MAG271C. 

Shows this on the product page, but obviously 3 monitors. Would 2 be crappy? 

Gaming across two monitors would definitely not be something I could recommend. Even though your bezel might be small, it will still be noticeably annoying to look at.

Many games work with a lot of precision (like aiming and such), which would be entirely throw off by the bezel in the middle creating more more room than there is in game. Plus of course you're staring at a bezel, while you actually want to stare at a monitor.

A dual monitor setup is still great though, but just use it for gaming on one and Discord/YouTube/Etc. on the other.

But feel free to try gaming stretched to both monitors. I don't personally like it, but who am I to deny you the experience of trying it out yourself and coming up with an opinion of your own? :P

Plus instead of running at 1920x1080, it's running at 3840x1080. Instead of 2 million pixels, that's 4 million pixels. So you will definitely get lower fps with the game stretched across monitors. I would wager not exactly 50%, but closer to 60-70% fps left

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, VIVO-US said:

The issue with gaming on dual monitors is you'll always have that gap in the middle, so anything with a central focus (like an FPS) might not be quite so fun as on a single or triple setup.  With the game stretch across all screens, it will take a larger toll on your graphics card since it's filling twice as many pixels, so you might have to turn a few settings down somewhat to keep running at 144Hz.

Yeah I didn't think of that ?‍♂️ 

I may need to rethink what I want to do then. Maybe just a super wide monitor instead then. 

1 minute ago, minibois said:

Gaming across two monitors would definitely not be something I could recommend. Even though your bezel might be small, it will still be noticeably annoying to look at.

Many games work with a lot of precision (like aiming and such), which would be entirely throw off by the bezel in the middle creating more more room than there is in game. Plus of course you're staring at a bezel, while you actually want to stare at a monitor.

A dual monitor setup is still great though, but just use it for gaming on one and Discord/YouTube/Etc. on the other.

But feel free to try gaming stretched to both monitors. I don't personally like it, but who am I to deny you the experience of trying it out yourself and coming up with an opinion of your own? :P

Hey I appreciate the honesty ?. I'm still kinda new to all of this as only built my first pc about 2 months ago. 

It's the little things like this that I seem to overlook lol. I will have a think what I want to do and maybe get a second or maybe just go for a super wide single monitor