Quick Question: "Reset this PC" vs manually wiping disk with "clean all"

Inkadinkadoo
Go to solution Solved by SupaKomputa,

1. No, it will only delete / rewrite required folders for win to run, it doesnt format the drive. Non related folders will still be there after finished.

2. Hardware raid won't be effected.

3. There will be some residue if you wipe the drive 1 time, there are some files that can be recovered, but the data integrity is questionable to the point of corrupting the data. Wipe the drive with 2 - 3 pass to completely destroy any data in the disk.

Couple questions:

1: Is choosing "Reset this PC" with all the data deletion settings checked functionally the same as if I booted from a Windows Recovery/install disk, opened command prompt, and ran "clean all" on each disk, then reinstalling Windows?

2: Will anything I do affect change the Raid configuration

3: If I write all bits to 0 with "clean all", then how would it be possible to recover ANY data from the SSD/HDD? Why would I need enterprise grade data deletion software?

Link to original comment and question:

Sorry I'm double posting, but I feel like the original thread probably died. Thanks in advance

4 minutes ago, Inkadinkadoo said:

Thanks in advance

If you want to be certain no data can be recovered, use DBAN (it's free)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1. No, it will only delete / rewrite required folders for win to run, it doesnt format the drive. Non related folders will still be there after finished.

3. There will be some residue if you wipe the drive 1 time, there are some files that can be recovered, but the data integrity is questionable to the point of corrupting the data. Wipe the drive with 2 - 3 pass to completely destroy any data in the disk.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

21 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Thanks for the informative answers. I will be manually wiping the drives a couple times then reinstalling Windows.