2.5 Gigs alt for Diskless Workstations

Is the new 2.5 gig network cards are a better alt for diskless workstations for cheap?
or should we ask linus for a video we rather didn't ask for?
can it handle multi-response times like a 10gig emulex cards or no?
(its for future proofing Internet Cafes when it comes to network arrays or illustrators who want a clean solutions)

Id still suggest putting a small ssd in the system. You can easily do deployments onto a local drive, and with the cost of 2.5 networking, its not cheaper to go network boot either.

28 minutes ago, RazzyBurrito said:

Is the new 2.5 gig network cards are a better alt for diskless workstations for cheap?
or should we ask linus for a video we rather didn't ask for?
can it handle multi-response times like a 10gig emulex cards or no?
(its for future proofing Internet Cafes when it comes to network arrays or illustrators who want a clean solutions)

Honestly i wouldn't bother.

You can get 10g ethernet cards for as low as $70-80, new, and if you buy 10-20 or more for an internet caffe you could probably make a deal with a importer or store to pay for them in several installments if your budget is tight.

SFP+ 10g cards are cheaper (if bought used, not new) and network switches are cheap, but the cables would cost a bit more.

Here's an example card: https://www.newegg.com/lr-link-lrec6880bt/p/14U-00JP-00029

Aquantia cards were at some point (black friday) 59$

Also, I agree with the above dude, just spend money on a 64-120 GB SSD, can't beat local os ... and you can easily reset the operating system with a usb stick and the right software ... just boot from usb stick, and download the disk image from server and rewrite the whole ssd whenever you want, resetting everything.

hmmmm im still doubting on how i do my stuff when local electrical brownouts would occur most often