Optiplex dual power supply?

lightfire

Hello everyone,

I'm currently building an optiplex 9020 MT and I ordered a new power supply and a Moddiy 24 pin to 8 pin converter (the mobo is 8-pin in the optiplex). However, the moddiy converter is shipped from Hongkong and I'm afraid it might take a while to arrive here in Belgium. So my question is:

Would I be able to keep using the stock power supply for the motherboard, cpu, etc., but connect the new power supply to the gpu (needs 6+2 pin) until the converter arrives?

Yes you could, you would need to short the green and black wire on the 24pin connector, but when you do that it will power anything you connect it to.

Just now, BOTVladimir said:

Yes you could, you would need to short the green and black wire on the 24pin connector, but when you do that it will power anything you connect it to.

Ah thank you! However I think my new psu's cables are all black. Is it 100% safe to short those cables?

It is a hundred percent safe to short the green (known as PS-on) and the black (ground) on the connector. The only purpose of the green wire is to let the circuit in the psu know if its connected and if it can start sending power. If it isnt shorted it wont send any power out.

You would turn the machine on by first switching the power switch on the second PSU and then you would press the power button. FYI If you would leave the secondary PSU on overnight, it shouldn't damage anything it would just waste power.

11 minutes ago, BOTVladimir said:

You would turn the machine on by first switching the power switch on the second PSU and then you would press the power button. FYI If you would leave the secondary PSU on overnight, it shouldn't damage anything it would just waste power.

Ah okay, thank you so much :D 

No problem mate :D