Can't get RAM to register? ThreadRipper

OK, so I was getting errors with my RAM that I had bought on one side of my MOBO, ROG Zenith II Extreme was not allowing RAM to register. So I bought a second MOBO and the same thing happened, good bye $900.

So I get the new MOBO and the same happens (I did get the RAM checked to see if it was the issue, but the RAM was all good). So I get the idea that it was a MOBO RAM compatibility issue and I bought the G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 256GB (8 x 32GB)

ThreadRipper BTW. And I should mention I have flashed the BIOS to the latest

So, I installed them and again and the right lanes on the MOBO again don't register. 

What do I have top do to get this to work?

Please.

What do you mean by "not register"?
All of the 256GB does not get registered or only some part of it?

If just some sticks don't get registered then it may be only a cooler mounting pressure issue where an improper contact of the CPU pins with the motherboard may cut off some part of a memory controller.

8 minutes ago, WereCat said:

What do you mean by "not register"?
All of the 256GB does not get registered or only some part of it?

If just some sticks don't get registered then it may be only a cooler mounting pressure issue where an improper contact of the CPU pins with the motherboard may cut off some part of a memory controller.

The first MOBO had the same issue, so I bought a  new one. And by that I mean, the 4 rails to the right would not register RAM AND cause an error and not post. I had the RAM checked and it was OK. So I bought a new MOBO and the same issue occurred. So I figured it was a RAM compatibility issue and bought a full set. But again the same issue, the RAM slots to the right won't register the RAM, but I was able to start with 6 RAM modules and post correctly (The extra 2 sticks of RAM was not registered, but 8 sticks caused and error) This is a strange issue .

OK, I am going to bump this with a bit more info as I really need some help with this.

My system is,
ROG Zenith II Extreme
ThreadRipper 3970x
G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 256GB (8 x 32GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200

So first time booting with 8 sticks of RAM in the MOBO I was getting an error and not able to even post. So going through everything I was able to figure out that the RAM slots A1 and B1 were not allowing the post. However, with 6 sticks in A2 and B2 RAM was allowing a post , but not being recognized.
Next step was to flash the BIOS to the latest. No dice

So I resat the CPU and nothing changed. So I figured it was a faulty MOBO. I went ahead and bought another MOBO.
Try number 2,
The exact same thing happened and now I have 128gb of RAM that I can't use, not to mention that the system will not boot with DOCP enabled. So I can't even have the RAM run at stated frequency.

What do I have top do to get this to work?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Well, 3 things are at play... The CPU, the mobo and the RAM. The only thing you haven't changed is the CPU, so maybe that's defective?

Other than that the only thing is its mounting in the socket, but since you removed/reinstalled and the issue is always the same it's somewhat unlikely, unless you always use the same incorrect mounting technique/pressure.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Well, 3 things are at play... The CPU, the mobo and the RAM. The only thing you haven't changed is the CPU, so maybe that's defective?

Other than that the only thing is its mounting in the socket, but since you removed/reinstalled and the issue is always the same it's somewhat unlikely, unless you always use the same incorrect mounting technique/pressure.

Well , I will be switching out out a RTX 2080 Ti this weekend, so I could try a re-seat of the CPU again and see if that makes any difference. The thing is, a ThreadRipper install really only has one way to do it, maybe I should wiggle the CPU around a bit to make sure it is settled properly???

Well if you correctly followed the installation procedure, tighening order, used the torque wrench properly yes, just checking because it's likely there are some people who just go at it without looking at the details...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

23 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Well if you correctly followed the installation procedure, tighening order, used the torque wrench properly yes, just checking because it's likely there are some people who just go at it without looking at the details...

I did check the order and did follow the instructions which is why I am a little baffled as to why something like this would be a seating problem? Anyway, I will re-seat the CPU again and see if that is the issue.

OK, checked all the RAM and slots. The RAM is all OK as all sticks run fine in the working slots.

But I have found the the DIMM B1 and B2 are not registering RAM at all and slot B1 is causing a post error.

But , what I can't work out is that this is the second MOBO with the same results. Is this just a fluke or is something wrong here?

As mentioned it only leaves the CPU itself, either defective or got damaged e.g. by a static discharge...

F@H

GPD Win 2